Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Minny Me: Big Ben a lot like Favre

Minny Me: Big Ben a lot like Favre
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...ike-favre.html
By: Mike Bires -
Beaver County Times

Sunday October 25, 2009 12:07 AM

Minnesota Vikings QB Brett Favre looks to throw as San Francisco linebacker Parys Haralson, left, eyes Favre in the fourth quarter of a Sept. 27 game. Favre led the Vikings to a 27-24 win. (AP Photo/Jim Mone)

Ben Roethlisberger has already played against, and beaten, most of the elite quarterbacks in the National Football League. But today, for the first time, hell meet Brett Favre.

Im going to probably ask him for his autograph, Roethlisberger said.

Since coming into the league in 2004, Roethlisberger has shared the same stage as Peyton Manning of the Colts, Eli Manning of the Giants, Drew Brees of the Saints, Kurt Warner of the Cardinals and Tom Brady of the Patriots. With Roethlisberger leading the way, the Steelers have wins over all those star QBs.

This afternoon in a blockbuster of a game between the Steelers (4-2) and Minnesota Vikings (6-0), Roethlisberger will be on the same field as Favre for the first time.

I grew up watching him and idolizing him, Roethlisberger said. I molded more than a little bit of my game after him. So its going to be fun for me to play against him for the first time.

The last time the Steelers faced Favre, he played for the Green Bay Packers. That was Nov. 6, 2005, at Lambeau Field when the Steelers won 20-10. But Roethlisberger didnt play that day. He was sidelined with a knee injury and didnt even make the trip.

Im such a huge Brett Favre fan that after the game, I had a picture taken of him and me, Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel said.

Favre, 40, now plays for the Vikings and is the man most responsible for their rank among the NFLs four unbeatens. This was a talented Minnesota team that just needed stability at the all-important quarterback position, and Favre has provided it.

In fact, Favre has done more than just provide veteran leadership. Hes third in the league with a 109.5 passer rating. Hes thrown 12 touchdown passes and only two interceptions.

Hes making a difference. Thats why the Vikings got him, Steelers cornerback Deshea Townsend said.
Advertisement BVFCU

The Vikings hope that Favre does for them what Roethlisberger has done for the Steelers since they took him with the 11th overall pick of the 04 draft. And thats take them to the Super Bowl and win it all.

Roethlisberger has already done that twice. Along with Brady, hes the only active QB with two Super Bowl rings. Thats one more than Favre.

Roethlisberger, 27, knows all about Favres record of 275 straight starts for a quarterback. He knows all about Favres other career milestones, including most TD passes (476), most passing yards (66,474) and most games with a 100-plus passer rating (98).

But what Roethlisberger really admires about Favre is the way he plays the game. Its the same way Roethlisberger does.

Just kind of the gunslinger, doing unorthodox stuff sometimes, said Roethlisberger, who leads the NFL with 1,887 passing yards and ranks fourth, just behind Favre, with a 104.5 passer rating. Just having that mentality of going out there and playing fearless. I just try to do a little of what he does.

You have to be smart about it. But if you watch Brett sometime, he throws it up and you wonder what hes doing probably the same thing Coach (Mike) Tomlin says about me. But you live by the sword, and you die by it. He makes enough plays that you dont question it.

I dont compare myself to Brett Favre, Roethlisberger added. Hes a legend. Im just trying to get to his level.

According to Viking coach Brad Childress, Roethlisberger is on the right track.

When asked if Roethlisberger reminds him of Favre, Childress said, A young Brett Favre.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #2
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552
Default Re: Minny Me: Big Ben a lot like Favre

Didnt they play against each other in a preseason game back in 07?