Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 10-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Rookie receiver Wallace gives Steelers a lift

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_649855.html#

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Rookie receiver Wallace gives Steelers a lift

By Kevin Gorman
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 26, 2009

Mike Wallace left the Vikings a couple of post-it notes.

Don't forget about me!

With Minnesota's safeties spread wide to prevent big plays by Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes, the Steelers turned their rookie receiver loose on a post pattern in the final minute of the first half and found him wide open.

Wallace came up with two big catches in a three-play sequence, a 22-yarder followed by a 40-yard touchdown that gave the Steelers a three-point halftime lead in their 27-17 victory over the previously undefeated Vikings on Sunday afternoon at Heinz Field.

"It feels real good because it was a great team we were playing, and we got the 'W'," said Wallace, who finished with three receptions for 72 yards and two carries for 19 yards. "I'm just happy I could be a part of helping my team win the game."

The Steelers were trailing, 7-3, when they took over at their own 9 with 1:39 remaining in the first half. They went to a no-huddle offense and, after a 14-yard pass to Holmes, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger looked deep for Wallace despite double coverage. The pass fell incomplete but led to bigger things.

On a second-and-10 from the Steelers' 38, Roethlisberger rolled right and hit Wallace in stride over the middle for a 22-yard gain to the Minnesota 40. After spiking the ball to stop the clock, Roethlisberger again looked for Wallace, this time lofting a pass over the outstretched arms of middle linebacker E.J. Henderson and another Vikings defender.

"They were getting really deep, and we wanted to take a shot at getting Mike behind the linebacker," Roethlisberger said. "Hines did a good job of attracting that linebacker. It got over his head, and Mike did the rest."

Added Wallace: "I came right behind him, and Ben made a great throw. The (middle linebacker) jumped and everything, but he couldn't touch the ball. It came right into my hands. He threw a perfect ball."

Wallace somersaulted into the end zone for his second career touchdown, one that capped an eight-play, 91-yard scoring drive and gave the Steelers a 10-7 lead with only 24 seconds left in the half.

Wallace didn't mind that his first-half heroics were overshadowed by two defensive touchdowns in the fourth quarter.

"They did it. They can have the credit. They're the players of the game," Wallace said. "They showed their speed, showed they can take it 80 or 90 yards. They've got a lot longer touchdowns than we do."

Kevin Gorman can be reached at kgorman@tribweb.com or 412-320-7812.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045
Default Re: Rookie receiver Wallace gives Steelers a lift

Golden Boy.....golden
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Great find. Limas who?

lol but naw I'm real happy with the way Wallace is playing. He definitely deserves to be the 3rd wideout, but I haven't given up hope on Sweed. I think we need to keep him active for games and give him a few plays here and there, maybe a few high percentage catches so he can gain confidence and be an asset to us in the future.
Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Loving Wallace. The guy can catch deep balls, make running plays, short screens... this guy is a playmaker already and he's only going to get better with age.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
BuckeyeSteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 7935

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
[url]

Wallace somersaulted into the end zone for his second career touchdown, one that capped an eight-play, 91-yard scoring drive and gave the Steelers a 10-7 lead with only 24 seconds left in the half.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Burgher View Post
Loving Wallace. The guy can catch deep balls, make running plays, short screens... this guy is a playmaker already and he's only going to get better with age.
To bad he's a big showboater & doesn't know how to act.
BuckeyeSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:17 AM   #6
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

is he anymore of a showboater than hines ward who dances and does all kinds of celebatory stuff after his TDs, or santonio holmes, who showboats all the time, everybody does in todays nfl, does that mean its right? no. but still, who cares, he somersaulted into the endzone, who cares?
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,309 Times in 1,407 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelC7 View Post
is he anymore of a showboater than hines ward who dances and does all kinds of celebatory stuff after his TDs, or santonio holmes, who showboats all the time, everybody does in todays nfl, does that mean its right? no. but still, who cares, he somersaulted into the endzone, who cares?
Agreed the man played a good game and scored a touchdown in my opinion if he wants to showboat some then let him. I have no problem with it if they make a good play or score a touchdown.