Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983
Default Ryan Clark may not play in Denver

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark isn’t injured, yet he isn’t sure if he can play in the team’s next game Nov. 9 at Denver.

Clark couldn’t play again the rest of the 2007 season after becoming ill during an Oct. 21, 2007 game in Denver. He spent the night in a Denver hospital, and his condition worsened after he returned to Pittsburgh.

Clark had to have his spleen and gall bladder removed, and he lost more than 30 pounds before finally regaining his strength. Doctors told him his sickle-cell trait was aggravated by the high altitude in Denver and caused a serious blood disorder.

Because of his condition, Clark also had problems playing in Denver while he was with the Redskins in 2005.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Re: Ryan Clark may not play in Denver

I kind of thought Clark would miss this one.
1 game is not worth risking his entire season.
I'm no Dr. but was wondering if flying him in day of the game and back out immediately after would help any. Would 6 hours or so in that environment harm him or would he begin feeling the altitude effects immediately?
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

He can stay home and stay healthy! Carter, mundy & deshea can take care of it for 1 game.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #4
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

I'd love for him to be able to play, but health comes first. So its probably best if he does sit out. Carter can play for him.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

He would need a hyperbaric chamber like scuba divers use. It's not worth the risk, we will miss you bro.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
tyler289
Team Captain

Member Number: 9049

One game does not make a season. I'm fine with sitting Clark out for his health issue. No sense in risking his long-term health.
tyler289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #7
7willBheaven
Starter

Member Number: 13312

I too would rather him stay home for this one. He'll be missed, but if we got through games without Troy we can get through one without him. Who knows what could happen if he did travel, especially after the last time, wow.
7willBheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Stay home, Ryan.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
GridironWarrior
Starter

Member Number: 9565

Yeah I don't want Clark to risk his health or future outside of Football for one game. I'd like to smack the schedule maker for making this an away game.

Does Carter or Mundy get the start in his place?
GridironWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

I would suggest going there this week and get acclimated to the elevation..........Go up and stay at a place a little higher than the 5280 feet of Denver's stadium........Take a doctor with you of coarse to moniter everything going on with you........Maybe around 7000..........Then come game time a week later you come down in elevation about 2000 feet and your body just loves you for it......

Alttitude sickness can happen to everybody.........I used to climb all the time and never had it happen to me, then one day I was climbing Mt. Witney and got up around 10,000 and I felt like I was about to explode..........I know that sickle cell syndrom is nothing to mess with, but with the correct doctor who is wise to all of this might be able to overcome it.........

There is a big difference in atmosphere pressure in elevations........That is why your ears pop when you go up or down..........

If your gonna try to play, you gotta go there early this week and see if your body will be ok.........You got to breathe more than normal to get more air to your bloodstream.........A week or more in that elevation is way more healthhy for the body that just flying in for one day and playing all out............You were not adjusted......

I would try to go and stay there.......What if the AFC championship is there?.......

I would seek out mountaineers with knowledge of your situation(sickle cell), and knowledge of being at high alttitudes with it..........They are out there.........

Knowledge can overcome everything if it is possible......Do not be afraid to try and find that knowledge and experience out there.......