Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-26-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931
Default USA Today Loves Steelers over Vikes

By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY
PITTSBURGH — There was no last-minute magic from Brett Favre this time.
Instead of adding another chapter to his book of dramatic storybook finishes as he did twice during the first six undefeated weeks of the season, the Minnesota Vikings' iconic quarterback took it on the chin from the defending Super Bowl champions at
Favre committed two turnovers in the final 6 minutes Sunday that the Pittsburgh Steelers returned for touchdowns that made the difference in a 27-17 thriller.

BOX SCORE: Steelers 27, Vikings 17

Like that, Favre — who makes his much-anticipated return to Lambeau Field against the Green Bay Packers on Sunday — has hit another milestone: his first loss as a Viking.

"We knew it would be tough coming in here," said Favre, who threw a season-high 51 passes, was sacked a season-high four times and had a season-low 76.8 passer rating.

Despite the presence of NFL rushing leader Adrian Peterson, Minnesota (6-1) recorded another season low, rushing a mere 23 times, and banked on Favre's arm. That's not necessarily a bad strategy, especially in a tight game on the road. A week earlier, Favre's 58-yard completion to Sidney Rice inside the two-minute warning set up the eventual game-winning field goal vs. the Baltimore Ravens.

In Week 3, with time for one play against the San Francisco 49ers, Favre threw a 32-yard strike to little-used fourth receiver Greg Lewis in the back of the end zone for the winner.

Such heroics, though, seemingly gave the Steelers (5-2) more reasons to work themselves up for the challenge of stopping Favre.

"It's always exciting to be the 'other' team," Steelers safety Ryan Clark said during a midweek interview. "Even though we won the Super Bowl, all you see is that we're playing Brett Favre and Adrian Peterson.

"Nobody expects us to win. We're not a sexy pick. We get no respect. That's our mentality."

The Steelers might also have entered Sunday's showdown undefeated — if not for fourth-quarter meltdowns in back-to-back losses at the Chicago Bears and Cincinnati Bengals. The latter case was most egregious, as Pittsburgh blew a nine-point, fourth-quarter lead, leading critics to question a team that since has won four consecutive games.

Here's what's been whispered: Can they finish?

"It's black or white to me," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said, standing off to the side as the locker room cleared. "Either you make the plays or you don't. Guys stepped up today. When we don't, we lose. That's the story of the NFL. These games come down to critical plays at critical moments — especially when you're playing good people."

That his offense twice settled for Jeff Reed field goals and squandered a chance with a Rashard Mendenhall fumble (recovered at the 4) as drives sputtered in the red zone wasn't lost on Tomlin.

"When you march the length of the field and settle for field goals," he said, "you expose yourself to close finishes."

Minnesota could also second-guess itself for not calling Peterson's number enough late in the third quarter, when it was poised to take a 14-13 lead and had the ball first-and-goal at the 1. In a similar situation in the second quarter, Peterson knifed in for a go-ahead 2-yard TD on third-and-goal.

Yet after Peterson was stuffed up the middle in the third quarter, the Vikings had Favre throw play-action passes to the back of the end zone and to the flat. Both passes were incomplete, and Minnesota settled for an 18-yard Ryan Longwell field goal.

Favre said he never lobbied coach Brad Childress to go for it on fourth-and-1. Asked what he thought would have been best with the ball at the 1, he said, "I think you'd be better off handing it to Adrian."

Peterson finished with 129 yards, 69 on the ground.

Despite leaving projected points on the field, the Vikings still had a chance to win.

With Pittsburgh clinging to a 20-17 lead with 1:15 on the clock and Minnesota driving — Peterson's violent 29-yard catch-and-run, accentuated as he literally ran over William Gay, put the Vikings in striking range —Ben Roethlisberger was a bit restless on the Steelers sideline.

Roethlisberger knows Favre's history well enough.

"I just wanted him to leave me some time," Roethlisberger said.

Touchdowns off turnovers

The Steelers defense did even better. After Favre's screen pass from the Pittsburgh 19 deflected off the hands of running back Chester Taylor, Keyaron Fox snagged the ball and raced 82 yards for the clinching score.

"A fluke accident," said Vikings defensive tackle Pat Williams, mindful that Minnesota entered the game with four giveaways, tied for the league low. "Their guy was in the right place at the right time."

But lightning struck twice. About five minutes before Fox's score, linebacker LaMarr Woodley scooped up a Favre fumble forced by Brett Keisel's swat and rumbled 77 yards for a touchdown. Favre, who finished with 344 passing yards, was looking for Rice (11 catches, 136 yards) in the back of the end zone and never saw Keisel's wide outside rush.

Woodley, who last season became the first player in NFL history to post multiple sacks in four consecutive postseason games, made a split-second decision to not simply fall on the loose ball. He took much ribbing for his runback, which evoked memories of James Harrison's Super Bowl-record 100-yard interception return touchdown last February, as he picked up blockers and weaved his way to the end zone.

"I thought Woodley was going to take all day," Tomlin said. "It was like watching in slow-motion."

Said Woodley: "It felt like 100 yards, because it was so slow. The defensive linemen told me I made them feel good because I ran like a big guy."

Woodley said Fox is better-equipped for such long-distance jaunts because he plays primarily on special teams and is used to sprinting the length of the field on coverage units.

Yet both returns had something in common: blockers who formed a convoy.

"Coach (Dick) LeBeau preaches that," Woodley said, referring to his coordinator. "If we get an interception or someone picks up a fumble, 'Everybody turn and block somebody.' That's what we do in practice. So when it happens in the game, it's just natural."

Back to Lambeau as foe

LeBeau also cooked up his usual assortment of exotic blitzes. Favre suspected that Pittsburgh blitzed on nearly all of Minnesota's 78 plays, and it was not an exaggeration. There were zone blitzes, overload blitzes, inside linebacker blitzes. And the Steelers disguised them well, later in the game blitzing with two defensive linemen on the field. The Vikings generally blocked the rush well, but the chaos rushed Favre more often than not.

"That's what they do," Favre said. "They give you a lot of looks. You don't know exactly where they're coming from. They thrive on that. And they'll do it next week, whoever they play."

Next week. Favre knows exactly who the Vikings' next opponent is. The Packers.

"I'm glad the first game is over and done with," Favre said, referring to Minnesota's 30-23 victory against his former team in Week 4 in Minneapolis. "My career with Green Bay speaks for itself, and the games I've played in Lambeau Field — it's a special place. That won't change. For three hours, I'll be on the other side.

"Do I know what it's going to feel like? I have no idea, because I've never been on the other side. But I know our team needs a win and it's going to be a tough place to play."

In that regard, it might even be a bit like Heinz Field.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931
Default Re: USA Today Loves Steelers over Vikes

Some of the online whiners at the end of the article:

deckflexor3 (13 friends, send message) wrote: 6m ago
FavreFan001 (1 friends, send message) wrote: 13h 41m ago
Gloating Steelers Fans...

I finally understand why this week's win was such a big deal to you all.

You all realize that the Steelers will not get past Indianapolis, New England or quite possibly Cincinnati in the playoffs, so luckily beating the undefeated Vikings in week 7 of a 16 game season -- with the aid of lousy officiating, mind you -- is your 2009 - 2010 NFL season consolation prize.

OK... OK... That makes sense now. Hey, Congratulations! Unfortunately, there's no trophy or 7th ring that goes along with that win! Bummer!

You see as Vikings fans were are more interested in the Chicago Bears loss this week and next week's game against the division rival Green Bay Packers. I hate to break it to you during your unparalleled "moment of triumph," but coming up with less points than the Steelers in week 7 of a non-conference, non-divisional game is nothing for a Vikings fan to be concerned with or "cry about".

It's the baseless and obscene tribute to an overrated 5 and 2 Steelers team and the underhanded officiating that took place at Heine Field that is prompting our input and concern. No Viking fan is "crying" over this loss. It's one regular season, non-conference, non-divisional game; it means absolutely nothing.

I just hate/love to break that to you AGAIN.

Check out this tool- FavreFan001

This lump of mold continues to spout his nonsense. He uses "FavreFan001" as his handle and rants and raves now about how great the ViQueens are. Watch when Favre gets done at Minnesota and decides to play for some other team how this D-bag Tool will then rant and rave about how great the new team is that Favre plays for.

Are you going to change your blogger name to "FavreFan001Eventhoughhesretired", when your buddy finally hangs it up???? You are a total numbnuts dude!

Recommend | Report Abuse

toolate4you (1 friends, send message) wrote: 34m ago
If we didn't have slow-mo, high-def replays, the refs would not suck.........................

Recommend | Report Abuse

toolate4you (1 friends, send message) wrote: 49m ago
wolfed (0 friends, send message) wrote: 1m ago
In both cases of the officials taking points off the board for the Steelers, they were correct in doing so. This was a horrible call. 14 point swing...and just for good measure let us BOTH get in the returners way...just in case the defense needs even more help. Pitiful. Lame. Typical.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++=
No they were not correct in doing so. And the refs were also not correct in letting the defensive line of the Vikings hold our linebackers around the neck all day. There were plenty of calls and non-calls, but the refs have no incentive to create or choose penalties to call FOR the Steelers instead of the NFL's favorites Favre and Adrian Peterson. Come on take off the tin foil helmet. Steelers are good and they won. It's that simple.

Recommend 2 | Report Abuse

nrog (25 friends, send message) wrote: 55m ago
wolfed (0 friends, send message) wrote: 5m ago
In both cases of the officials taking points off the board for the Steelers, they were correct in doing so. This was a horrible call. 14 point swing...and just for good measure let us BOTH get in the returners way...just in case the defense needs even more help. Pitiful. Lame. Typical.
-------------------------

If by "both cases" you mean the Cleveland game and the Vikings game, you are wrong. The ruling in the Browns game just flat-out contradicts the NFL rulebook, which I have thoroughly researched. If you can prove otherwise, please do so.

Regarding the ruling in the Vikings game, I put that firmly in the ticky-tacky category, right along with the tripping call, so the situation is awash. It is a zero point swing. Surely you aren't going to blame the refs that Favre coughed up the ball subsequent to the ruling, are you? I mean, at least the Steelers managed a field goal after their unfavorable ruling, but if they had fumbled it away, I wouldn't be blaming the refs for it.

Unreal.

The difference is, the Steelers overcame the calls that went against them. End of story.

Recommend 4 | Report Abuse

treq21 (20 friends, send message) wrote: 1h 2m ago
wolfed (0 friends, send message) wrote: 4m ago
---------------
oh, i see, so any call that goes against the steelers is a good one, and any call that goes for the steelers is a bad one. Got it, Mr Biased!! lol

wolfed (0 friends, send message) wrote: 1h 8m ago

Recommend | Report Abuse

treq21 (20 friends, send message) wrote: 1h 12m ago
Hmmm, come to think of it, the officials took a steeler TD off the board last week also.....boy those officials really are "helping" the steelers!!! LOL

Recommend 1 | Report Abuse

treq21 (20 friends, send message) wrote: 1h 25m ago
chubberx (0 friends, send message) wrote: 4h 50m ago
For once I'd love to see a Steeler fan admit that they do get an odd number of bad calls per season. It'll never happen though. Their heads are too far up their you know what to see the real picture.
------------------
For once I'd like to see a steeler hater say "nice game" and not say the officials gave it to them. But it'll never happen because other teams fans are so jealous of the steelers success that they have to try to tear them down every chance they get.

I guess you have forgotten that the officials took a steeler TD off the board in the first qtr? Or, more likely that just does not support your argument....

Bad-Santa (0 friends, send message) wrote: 1h 54m ago
OMG.....St Brett made a mistake........or two......or twelve.......LOL

So when Brett throws a ill-advised pass & the receiver make a circus catch......it's all good.....thats just Brett.

But when some normal bad luck comes his way......it's the officials.....and there is this master plan being run by the NFL to ruin Brett's sainthood.

Get a grip..........

P.S......Please tell the Fox TV to stop being so obvious when they kiss-up to Brett during the game.....
Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,410 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
You all realize that the Steelers will not get past Indianapolis, New England or quite possibly Cincinnati in the playoffs, so luckily beating the undefeated Vikings in week 7 of a 16 game season -- with the aid of lousy officiating, mind you -- is your 2009 - 2010 NFL season consolation prize.

You see as Vikings fans were are more interested in the Chicago Bears loss this week and next week's game against the division rival Green Bay Packers. I hate to break it to you during your unparalleled "moment of triumph," but coming up with less points than the Steelers in week 7 of a non-conference, non-divisional game is nothing for a Vikings fan to be concerned with or "cry about".
Yet the toolbox whines, bitches and cries about it anyway. Someone needs a tampon adjustment.

Hey douchebag, you completely lucked out in winning against the Niners and damn near pissed a 3-score lead away against the Ravens. You ain't that great.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

"You all realize that the Steelers will not get past Indianapolis, New England or quite possibly Cincinnati in the playoffs, so luckily beating the undefeated Vikings in week 7 of a 16 game season -- with the aid of lousy officiating, mind you -- is your 2009 - 2010 NFL season consolation prize."

Hmmmm.........seems to me we beat the top 3 teams in the AFC in 2005 ON THE ROAD on our way to Detroit. Seems some of us forget that.

Oh, then we had to beat the best the NFC had to offer (even if it was Seattle).
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Oh, well, you forgot that all of those games were fixed. As a matter of fact, those games were never even played. It was all a computer-generated hoax created by the NFL officials, who love the Steelers so much that they fine them thousands of dollars after every other game.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,410 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Burgher View Post
Oh, well, you forgot that all of those games were fixed. As a matter of fact, those games were never even played. It was all a computer-generated hoax created by the NFL officials, who love the Steelers so much that they fine them thousands of dollars after every other game.
Yeah, my bad. "DA ROONEYS PAYED DA REFS!!!!!" Never mind that the Vikes are a miracle catch and a blown FG away from being 4-3 right now.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #7
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Douchenozzle is acting like the Vikings haven't done their own share of escaping and their then 6-0 record was a product of total dominance.

They're a missed Baltimore FG and a Miracle TD away from being 4-3.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
KartSteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 15012

You know what makes me laugh? All these Steeler haters have nothing better to do than to talk smack before the game & then get bitter when they loose. It's never the fact that the Steelers are better than their team. It's always the ref, or some fluke play or something stupid that causes their teams to loose. At least when we loose we don't make excuses. But I guess when you're a contender every year, people don't like it. Well if you don't like it, you better learn to love it!!!! HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!
KartSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #9
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382

Not to worry, the Packers will stuff them next week.
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #10
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

wow, those vikings fans are really pissed they lost to the champs, dont be mad, most ppl do lose to us...u guys see the difference now between us steelers fans and other teams fans...we dont care about the regular season, and were always disappointed wen we miss the playoffs (which never happens), and we always look ahead to next week, hell were all talkin about the broncos already, thats 2 weeks away, they cant stop talkin about a game that happened yesterday. other teams fans love the regular season, cuz if they win against a good team, its their biggest win of the season cuz they have no hope to go to the playoffs, they just hope to go to the playoffs instead of expecting it, wen they lose, its cuz theyre not good enough, not cuz they shot themselves in the foot...its fun to be a steeler fan
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote