Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-26-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Harris: Steelers' Mendenhall needs to seize starting opportunity

Harris: Steelers' Mendenhall needs to seize starting opportunity
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_650013.html#
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I'm not an agitator, just curious.

Curious minds want to know why Rashard Mendenhall won't take the Steelers' starting job and run with it.

Why doesn't Mendenhall protect the football, especially around the goal line?

Why does he shy away from contact despite weighing a muscular 225 pounds?

Every time Mendenhall fumbles or doesn't take a defender head-on, I'm reminded that he slipped to the 23rd pick in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft.

He was projected to go much higher, which is why the Steelers didn't hesitate drafting him even though they didn't personally interview him or dig deeply into his background because never in their wildest imagination did they think he would be there.

The "hot hand" that coach Mike Tomlin said last week kept Mendenhall ahead of Willie Parker on the depth chart cooled off considerably against Minnesota.

If Parker gets healthy, things could become interesting.

Clearly, Tomlin likes Mendenhall enough to start him as Parker continues to struggle with turf toe. Tomlin, however, won't tolerate fumbling.

For the second consecutive week, Tomlin benched Mendenhall after a key fumble. Sitting Mendenhall against Cleveland was no big deal; the Steelers had that game in hand. But with the game on the line in the fourth quarter against Minnesota, Mendenhall was on the bench despite averaging a whopping 6.9 yards on 10 carries.

New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin went through the same thing with Tiki Barber, a notorious fumbler who developed better ball security once he changed how he carried the ball.

Mendenhall has only played in 11 NFL games. It's too early to judge his body of work.

"The young fellow fumbled, and every time he puts a helmet on, it's a learning experience for him," said Tomlin, who reiterated that Mendenhall will start Nov. 9 against the Denver Broncos.

Mewelde Moore carried three times for eight yards on the Steelers' final possession. On second-and-4, Moore was dropped for a 2-yard loss. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was sacked on the next play, and the Steelers were forced to punt holding a 20-17 lead.

Moore does a better job of securing the football, but he doesn't scare defenses the way Mendenhall does.

Tomlin is high on Mendenhall's potential; he just doesn't trust him late in games.

It's the Steelers' version of Catch-22.

Mendenhall averages 5.4 yards per carry and has four rushing touchdowns this season. Parker averages 3.1 yards per carry and has no rushing touchdowns. Mendenhall has out-gained Parker by 231 yards with only 18 more carries.

When I wrote prior to the third game of the season against Cincinnati that the Steelers should run Mendenhall more and Parker less, I believed it was Mendenhall's time because of his upside, fresh legs and Parker finally showing his age.

I still feel that way. But it wasn't until Mendenhall got some carries under his belt that his strengths emerged along with his weaknesses.

Mendenhall hits the hole faster and harder than Parker does. But Parker, even though he prefers taking it outside, is a more willing runner between the tackles. Ironically, Parker's willingness to mix it up inside contributed to some of his injuries.

Mendenhall is a big back who runs like a scatback.

Mendenhall isn't Jerome Bettis, but it's still early in his pro career. Maybe he'll eventually grow into becoming more comfortable running inside as Bettis did.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552
Default Re: Harris: Steelers' Mendenhall needs to seize starting opportunity

If he dont start holding onto the ball he wont be seeing it much.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

He doesn't fumble and the Steelers drive in for 7 points and you are looking at an entirely different 4th quarter ending. He has to hold on to the ball.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

He has seized the opportunity. Running backs fumble...it happens.

This kid is essentially a rookie. He is the best RB we have right now. He averaged 6.9 yards a carry. He can only produce when his number is called.

I'm very happy with his progress this year.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
He doesn't fumble and the Steelers drive in for 7 points and you are looking at an entirely different 4th quarter ending. He has to hold on to the ball.
yeah, Harvin returns the kickoff to the house 5 minutes earlier.

After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
Jmat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14746

I seem to recall Ben doing his share of fumbling or throwing picks and no one getting all bent out of shape and calling for him to be benched.
Mendenhall was trying to make a play. He'll be okay. Get off his back.
Jmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Ya hes a rookie and CAN and hopefully WILL get better at holding the ball.
When Parker fumbles (which he does too) at least he gets some carries after to try and redeem himself.
At this poiint I would be happy to give Mendenhall the majority of the carries, with Moore sprinkled in as well.
Would never question coach T and I understand the move to Moore aftre the fumble, but giving Mendenhall the rock after a fumble is a good way to judge what you got... someone who learns frok his mistakes.... or someone who cannot get past them... jsut my 2 cents..
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

He needs to learn to carry the ball better, yes. He tends to run with it in his hand, and his arm out to the side. This habit WILL BE ADDRESSED, take it to the bank. But overall, I'm happy we have him and I believe he will learn from his mistakes. He definitely catches the ball better than Willie ever did.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,125 Times in 442 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

yeah, he sux cut him
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmat View Post
I seem to recall Ben doing his share of fumbling or throwing picks and no one getting all bent out of shape and calling for him to be benched.
That's because overall he hasn't really had a bad game yet this season. He's also among the league leaders in passing yards which is all the chuckleheads who only give a shit about fantasy football stats care about, so that's another reason they've stayed off his back so far. Check a few threads from last season. Here's a couple to get you started.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=28841

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=29653

One nimrod even went so far as to suggest that Ben should have been benched in favor of Leftwich (yeah, the same guy that couldn't hold onto the starting job in TB this year) right before the playoffs started. Have patience, the Ben bashers WILL be out very vociferously in force if he plays poorly and truly has a bad game.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote