Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-21-2009, 07:36 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Wetzel: The Path of Least Resistance Makes Most Sense for BCS

I hate to say it, but he's right. This is yet another reason why the BCS=FAIL.

Florida is probably more guilty of this than any other program in the Country, too...

http://rivals.yahoo.com:80/ncaa/foot...yhoo&type=lgns

On Sept. 5, while Florida feasted on Charleston Southern and Texas opened with Louisiana-Monroe, the Oklahoma Sooners played a strong BYU team on a neutral field.
That’s when Sam Bradford sprained his shoulder while being sacked, an injury that derailed OU’s title hopes.
A week later, while Florida annihilated Troy and Texas blew out Wyoming, Southern California played at Ohio State.

That’s when freshman Matt Barkley was himself sacked and hurt. He was forced to sit out the next game, which the Trojans lost. Now they’re behind the national title 8-ball.

That’s two tough games, two season-changing injuries and two more examples why as long as the Bowl Championship Series exists, there is no good reason any power team should risk playing a rugged non-conference schedule.
Check out the BCS standings. Florida and Texas are ranked No. 1 and 3 respectively, despite playing weak non-conference teams. Both know if they win out, they’ll play for the title anyway.
This isn’t scheduling cowardice, it’s, in fact, what passes for BCS intelligence.
If you’re a big-name program, it’s foolish to prove yourself outside of the mandated league games. A monster showdown might be fun to play in, but it isn’t proportionately rewarded by either the voters or the computers. All it does is open you up to a loss, an injury or an emotional letdown.
You’re best served staying home and playing patsies.
This column isn’t about who should or shouldn’t be No. 1 or whether this team could win the games on that team’s schedule. There’s plenty of places and time for those debates.
It’s about how despite the BCS’ claim that it, unlike a playoff, protects the “sanctity of the regular season,” it has actually cut down on the exciting games the sport was built on.
And as coaches increasingly figure out how to rig this silly system, the trend toward the dull has only just begun.

“Is the goal to find the team with the best record or the best team?” USC’s Pete Carroll asked reporters after the first BCS standings found his 5-1 Trojans in seventh place, hurt by computers that left the Trojans in the teens.

Carroll should know the answer by now. Sometimes they are one in the same. The one certainty in this uncertain system is that the most likely road to the title game for a big-name team is an undefeated record. Auburn, in 2004, is the lone exception.
“We’ve told our kids that we need to win them all,” said Texas coach Mack Brown of the blueprint for winding up in the BCS title game.
What is the easiest way to “win them all?” Play the weakest competition imaginable; and do it on your campus.
The Longhorns’ non-conference schedule features UL-Monroe, Wyoming, UTEP and Central Florida. It’s an embarrassing slate for a team of its stature, but it’s also one reason UT walked into the Oklahoma game Saturday in excellent health, high confidence and with backups having gained valuable experience.
All of that was enough to leave with a 16-13 victory over the battered Sooners.
Both Brown and Florida coach Urban Meyer are staunchly anti-BCS, but as long as they are stuck with this system, they’re going to try to figure out how to beat it.
While Bradford and Barkley were getting injured against physical non-conference opponents, quarterbacks for Florida and Texas, Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy, were watching long stretches of blowouts from the safety of the sideline.
Last offseason Brown brought in a bunch of BCS gurus to Austin to break down how the system works. He didn’t lack for familiar examples. In his own Big 12 he’s watched both Kansas (2007) and Texas Tech (2008) rise to No. 2 in late-season BCS standings, despite playing laughable non-conference schedules, essentially turning the season into two or three serious games.
If you can “win them all” the BCS doesn’t care about the “all.”

Brown, and just about everyone else, is scheduling with this in mind. The Horns’ future opponents are only modestly more challenging than this season. UT will play three weaker teams and add a single major conference opponent per season, none of them true heavyweights – UCLA, Mississippi and Cal.
Meyer, meanwhile, knows that as long as his Gators win the Southeastern Conference, even with one loss, he’s probably in the BCS title game. The non-conference is meaningless to the Gators’ title hopes … unless they lose. So why risk it?
UF hasn’t played a non-conference game outside the state of Florida since the BCS was created and had only two outside Gainesville in the past five seasons. The only major non-conference team on the long-term schedule is fading Florida State. The Gators will play South Florida in 2010 and 2015, but other than that, it’s straight sisters of the poor.

“I don’t plan on changing the way we schedule,” Meyer said last summer.
Why would he? Why would anyone? This isn’t just what the BCS rewards, it’s what it demands.
In the 1980s, pre-BCS, there were annually between 15-20 non-conference games featuring two preseason ranked teams. This year there were just four.
There was a time when scheduling a Football Championship Subdivision team (formerly I-AA) was unheard of; now teams regularly play two of them.
All this despite the expanding of the season that offered more opportunity for real games.
Carroll, for one, tries to schedule only major conference opponents and doesn’t want to hear that retreating is the smartest policy. He believes the thrill is still in the challenge. USC is one of just four schools to have never played a FCS team.
He joins Stoops as part of a small group of coaches who still seeks out two or three powerful non-league opponents each season, fallout be damned.
OU is set up with dates with Ohio State, LSU, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, TCU and Tennessee over the next eight years. Carroll, whose team took two long trips to the Midwest this season, has future series with Notre Dame, Virginia, Boston College, Texas A&M, Syracuse and Hawaii and is looking for more.
It means every year those two national challengers are voluntarily walking a gauntlet, making chasing a championship exponentially more difficult.
They’d be best served joining Texas, Florida and the rest of the crowd that are playing by the rules the BCS has created – line up the weaklings as their fans’ eyes glaze over in boredom (while still charging full price for tickets, of course).
Apparently Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops still believe in the sanctity of the regular season.
It’s the BCS that doesn’t.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
atlsteelers
Starter

Member Number: 216
Default Re: Wetzel: The Path of Least Resistance Makes Most Sense for BCS

The bcs blows but would a playoff system prevent teams like texas and florida from scheduling cupcakes - no

i do want a playoff system
atlsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Twizted
Water Boy

Member Number: 15062

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlsteelers View Post
The bcs blows but would a playoff system prevent teams like texas and florida from scheduling cupcakes - no

i do want a playoff system
I'll agree, I absolutely despise the BCS. It's absolutely ridiculous, seems someone always gets snuffed and someone who doesn't deserve a shot gets there *ahem OSU ahem* LoL. Anyway, I wish they would come up with some sort of playoff system. I say have every conference have a championship game and let the winning teams play down to the nat'l title. JMO of course.
Twizted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Ridiculous to make THIS about OSU, as they are one of the few teams that actually schedules legit OOC games.

If there was a playoff, there'd be no ROOM for cream puffs, for one, secondly, nobody would care because to win it all, even if you play in a soft conference like Boise does, you'd have to win 3 tough games when it matters most (assuming they went with an 8 team bracket)to win it all.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Twizted
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Ridiculous to make THIS about OSU, as they are one of the few teams that actually schedules legit OOC games.

If there was a playoff, there'd be no ROOM for cream puffs, for one, secondly, nobody would care because to win it all, even if you play in a soft conference like Boise does, you'd have to win 3 tough games when it matters most (assuming they went with an 8 team bracket)to win it all.
You mean like when the went to the title game in 08 after playing OOC games against Youngstown St., Akron, Washington, & Kent St.? That's a legit OOC schedule?

Anyway, this is getting off topic. And I did say before that it was all my opinion. We all know what opinions are like. The common theme here is that something should be done with the BCS.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

It's not OSU's fault that Washington was down, as they scheduled the game FAR off in the past. YSU was a favor from Tress. They never scheduled D-1AA before that, and never will again. MAC schools knock off BCS teams every year, just ask PSU about Toledo.

If you want to get into this, I will, because, arguably, NOBODY in D-1 schedules as heavy OOC as OSU.

NOBODY.

They had H/A with Texas and USC, they have H/A coming up with Miami, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, Cal, Cincinnati (those two are in the same year, too...both COULD be top 10 programs), etc, etc...and who's to say what the Big Ten schedule will look like form year to year? Iowa is legit this year, Michigan is on it's way back up, Wiscy is getting better, PSU is always a power, and there's usually another team or two that's for real. What if the year they play Cinci and Cal, the Big Ten has 5 top 20 teams? Should they cancel the "hard" games and play a Florida puss schedule instead? Fall back on the old "Boo hoo, our conference is hard enough" nonsense?

ANY BCS conference team that runs the tables should pretty much automatically deserve a shot. If they lose a game then you figure in who and how and when. OSU/LSU was a legit match-up, but LSU was the better team. I'd argue that USC was a better team at the time than OSU, but you'd need to go back to the original article...and I believe they lost to Stanford that year, which is about as bad as bad can be...
Old 10-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
Twizted
Water Boy

See, in a sense, we're on the same page but then again we're not I guess. I don't by any means agree that UF should be #1 after playing Charleston Southern and Troy, I mean come on man. I guess a lot of it has to do with I was aggrivated with OSU going to be BCS year in and year out when they obviously weren't on the same level as the SEC teams were. OSU I believe has stepped it up now with their OOC schedule I'll give them that, much more so that UF as you point out.

Again though, I basically was just agreeing with atlsteelers post in that I wanted a playoff system and that I thought the BCS was a joke. I didn't realize that my little OSU comment would stir you up, perhaps I shouldn've just left that part out.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

OSU has schedules heavy OOC for years...in fact, they should have been included in this article but...

Anyway, point being, this current system is counter-intuitive. It robs fans of big games and makes big programs like Florida pussies who are afraid to play anybody (i.e. afraid to lose), especially anybody out of the Southeast.

BCS needs to go...soon.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
Twizted
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
OSU has schedules heavy OOC for years...in fact, they should have been included in this article but...

Anyway, point being, this current system is counter-intuitive. It robs fans of big games and makes big programs like Florida pussies who are afraid to play anybody (i.e. afraid to lose), especially anybody out of the Southeast.

BCS needs to go...soon
Gotcha. So we can agree and disagree all at the same time. Overall BCS point I agree with you 100%.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

One last thing.

USC would have beat Florida in the NCG last year. NOBODY was playing better football AT THE TIME.

That's why we need a playoff.