Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts
Default Ted Ginn "official bust" Jr.

word is miami secretly wishes the trade deadline were this week so they could call the ravens and desperately beg them to take ginn off of their hands. they now regret not selling high after he actually caught a ball on MNF 2 weeks ago. now that he is in the doghouse it is likely he will ride the pine in a reserve/3-4 wr role, and the dolphins will cut their losses after the 09 season.

http://www.miamiherald.com/611/story/1301566-p2.html

Quote:
If you want a microcosm for this demoralizing defeat, let Sparano off the hook for a second and look to a more proper goat:

Ted Ginn Jr.

Sparano's mistake was a one-time thing that cost Miami momentum but not the game.

Ginn is the gift that keeps on not giving. He is the 2007 Cam Cameron-regime draft misstep that continues to haunt and hurt Miami.

It is time for Sparano and Bill Parcells to pull the plug on Ginn and at least admit he does not deserve the starting job he continues to be handed and must earn it back.

Ginn, the fastest receiver on the squad but someone unable to consistently get open, had eight passes thrown his way Sunday and caught two for a negligible 16 yards.

It was the damage he did when not catching the ball that killed the Dolphins.

Everybody is obsessing about Sparano's timeout late in the second quarter -- how about Ginn's gaffe early in the third?

`A VERY GOOD THROW'

Third-and-11, Chad Henne throws deep left for Ginn, who sees the ball go off his hands and watches it returned 42 yards for a touchdown by Saint Darren Sharper.

``I thought it was a very good throw,'' Sparano admitted.

In other words, a pass that Ginn should have caught for a huge first down instead was a pick-six for which Henne was blameless, a crushing turnaround.

Ginn had two other drops by my count, and that's not even counting one deep pass that he cowered from rather than fought for. Let's not even get into the time he daintily stepped out of bounds one yard shy of a first down.

Sparano had been asked about Ginn's big drops after the game Sunday and had said, ``Today he had some opportunities. We'll coach the heck out of it and try to get the guy better.''

A day later, asked about Ginn's failings again, Sparano did the coaching tap-dance. Tony is so forthright, so detailed. Usually. Except when he's pulling a muscle bending over backward to not fricassee a player publicly. That's when something like this comes out:

``Well, I thought some of the situations, right now, that have occurred [with Ginn] have been, quite honestly, circumstances.''

Huh?

``In other words,'' Sparano elaborated, ``what I mean by that is, there is a lot of things that go into some of these things.''

OK then.

In other words, and these are my words, Ginn isn't very good but his head coach can't say that.

``I think Ted is a young guy who is getting better, has been improving along the way and just didn't have a real good ballgame yesterday.''

CUT YOUR LOSSES

When those not-real-good games far outnumber the games in which a draft's ninth overall pick plays to that level, well, I dunno, it might be time for a team to eat its loss and try something else.

Journeymen Davone Bess and Greg Camarillo are consistently more productive than Ginn. And, based on Sunday's effort, rookie Brian Hartline probably deserves to start getting more of the snaps wasted on Ginn.

The problem is, more opposing defenses will start doing what the Saints did to Miami on Sunday: stacking up to stop the run and daring Miami to pass, gambling that single-coverage will be enough against a Dolphins receiving corps that presents nobody to cause a cornerback the slightest indigestion.

Ginn is supposed to be the answer there, the go-to guy, the game-breaker. Instead he keeps presenting him oppositely, as the frail, undersized wideout who is the physical antithesis of the tough team Miami wants to be.

This isn't scapegoating Ginn or putting Sunday's collapse all on him. But if you like things simple and neat with your blame, well, you can have that one bad timeout.

I'll take the No. 1 draft pick who continues to not be what the Dolphins thought they were getting and so desperately need.
good call revs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim View Post
Oh boy...

Ted Ginn Jr.

Know the name. You'll be hearing a LOT of it for the next 15 years, and maybe for another 15 after that.
- irony.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:00 PM   #2
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931
Default Re: Ted Ginn "official bust" Jr.

Nick Saban, before Cameron, would chase college players he could not sign when he was coaching NCAA. WRs can be so unpredictable in the draft like QBs and other skilled positions. Just because you excel in college does not necessarily translate to the NFL.

Look at all the hype surrounding Stafford and Sanchez before the draft. Crabtree might work out after a lengthy holdout. We have our "Sweed". Will be interesting to see how high Tebow goes.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Ted Ginn drops too many passes and if HE is considered there #1 i feel really bad for them

IMO a guy that needs to get thrown to more and i think could be a really good possession WR is Brian Hartline, at least he catches almost everything thrown his way, his buckeye buddy fails to do that.

Last edited by Nadroj 20; 10-27-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

And to think they couldve had Brady Quinn.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
And to think they couldve had Brady Quinn.

...another bust.

tim couch walking.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:31 AM   #6
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

I think we made off with the better OSU receiver.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
Old 10-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

One of my best friends is a dolphins fan and he loathes Ted Ginn Jr. He says that he has no idea how to play WR, he drops too many balls, and he's afraid to get hit. He can't wait for him to be out of a dolphins uniform.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
Old 10-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

You can teach a rookie to run routes. You can teach him to block. You can teach him how to avoid direct hits. It's difficult to teach him the basic fundamentals of catching. He can either put it all together between his brain, eyes, and hands when the ball is thrown to him, or he cannot.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,296 Times in 646 Posts

I am one that thought the Dolphins should have taken Brady Quinn instead of Ginn that draft year. I still think Quinn will be a good NFL QB, but he needs to get out of Cleveland if he is gonna have any kind of success. As for Ginn, he always seemed like a more accomplished KR than WR and was selected too high IMO.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #10
arge5809
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13245

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
...another bust.

tim couch walking.

Give the guy a chance... he is on the Browns afterall ...

Closed Thread