Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default All-Time NBA Squad

Alright, something I've done on a couple of other sports sites that I'm a part of...I figured I'd bring it here too.

It started with just 5...then 6...but then the teams were all almost identical.

Make yourself an All-Time NBA team. Take 12 players, from any era...and you get them in their prime. You can play them anywhere (i.e. If you want to have Charles Barkley as your Point Guard, so be it...)

Then do a comparison with other choices.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: All-Time NBA Squad

OK, I'm game:
C Bill Russell (Reserve Kareem Abdul-Jabaar)
PF LeBron James (Reserve Tim Duncan)
SF Larry Byrd (Reserve John Havlicek)
PG Magic Johnson (Reserve Oscar Robinson, although he could easily play SG)
SG Michael Jordan (Reserve Kobe Bryant)
Old 07-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Starters:

SG: Jordan (no-brainer; best player in NBA history)
PG: Magic (the ball-handling skills of a guard with the body of a forward - a matchup nightmare)
SF: Bird (still the best shooter I've ever seen personally, IMO)
PF: Bill Russell (I know he made his name as a center, but he would be an awesome PF nowadays, IMO)
C: Kareem (owner of THE unstoppable shot, the Sky Hook)

Bench:

G: Oscar Robertson (Mr. Triple-Double himself and could easily be a SG or PG)
G: Jerry West (Mr. Logo)
F: Dr. J (MJ's obvious inspiration growing up and probably my all-time favorite baller, period)
F: Tim Duncan (possibly the most fundamentally sound player in all phases of the game I've ever seen, IMO)
C: Wilt Chamberlain (An absolute freak of nature and would still more than likely be the best C in the league now)
C: Shaq (another freak of nature)
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Kareem Abdul Jabaar - Starting Center - A bit obvious choice in my opinion

Tim Duncan - Starting Power Forward -I am a huge fan of Mr. Fundamental...he's got a decent 15-footer and his inside game is as good as has existed at the PF. He's not a spectacular athlete, but his basketball IQ make up for it.

Larry Bird - Starting Small Forward - One of the best scorers in the NBA...and an underrated defender. Though I think LBJ will pass him as the best SF ever...for this team, I wanted a better outside shooter to complement the next guy.

Michael Jordan - Starting Shooting Guard - Not the greatest deep shooter...but could still score at will. Having Larry and Duncan spread the floor only helps him that much more. Great defender too.

Magic Johnson - Starting Point Guard - He is what Lebron James strives to be. One of the most versatile players to have ever played the game. His career average of 19.5/11.2/7.2 is one of the better all-time achievements. Having him allows me so much versatility...because I can play him at the 1/2/3 spot against almost any team you come up with.

Oscar Robertson - I only start Magic over him because I think the extra 4 inches and 30 pounds will make a difference. Still, he's easily in the running for 6th man award if he did become the first guy off the bench. His 25/9/7 average is just sick, no matter the era.

Lebron James - The next guy to come off the bench. Sure, there are guys with better careers, but this one can play the 1-4 spot with skill...and the team doesn't take much of a hit. He's this generations Oscar/Magic/Cousy/Erving.
Kobe Bryant - He's a sure fire 1st ballot HoF if he quit right now. Still has a lot of game left. His ability to create his own shot makes him one of the most dangerous scorers...and the fact that he can hit the open three with regularity only adds to that.

Wilt Chamberlain When KAJ has to come out, who better to replace him? I could honestly start either one and feel comfortable.

Kevin Garnett I'm going against convention with this pick (and probably with Duncan as well) but I love his athleticism and the way that he has changed the way the game is played. He opened the door for guys like Nowitzki to come to the US and play. Can hit the outside shot with much regularity and is a great defender. He's like having a 6'11 combo guard on the court (who can rebound.) This isn't so much about me thinking he's better...but creating mismatches on offense.

Dwight Howard Another pick that surprises people. I think his raw athleticism to come off the bench and play some hard/fast minutes at the PF spot (mostly) will add a speed dimension to the game that most teams couldn't contend with. As good as TD/Garnett/Kareem/Wilt are...I don't know that they could keep paced in a fast paced game. I only bring him in for injuries, or for a 5-minute scoring burst where I want to score fast. When he's in, Lebron, Magic, Oscar and MJ are all likely to be on the court so that we can run fast/hard.

John Stockton Best Pure PG to have played the game. When he comes in, he plays the 1...and either O/Magic get moved around.

Because of the athletes/Basketball IQ, I'd run a lot of zone defenses...and let my PF/SF play very free with the help defense. I'd want to run pressure D, starting between 3/4 court and 1/2 court.

Offensively, I'd want to run fast. Most of those teams that do run an uptempo offense fail because the guys they have running it can't play D very well. That's obviously not the case with my team. Because of the depth, I have no problem with having them run very hard in 5 minute bursts...and then swapping players out all game. 15-20 played for the starters..with the rest of the bench getting similar time.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Starters:
PF: Bill Russell (I know he made his name as a center, but he would be an awesome PF nowadays, IMO)
I like the outside the box thinking!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
OK, I'm game:
PF LeBron James (Reserve Tim Duncan)
Another outside the box thinker.. His post game needs work, but his athleticism is off the charts.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
John Stockton Best Pure PG to have played the game. When he comes in, he plays the 1...and either O/Magic get moved around.
I had a long debate with myself over whether or not to put Stockton on my bench as a guard - for me it was between him, Walt Frazier and West, but in the end I chose West. Can't really go wrong with any of those 3, though. Good thread!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Well, you could add Stockton, you only have 11 players...and you're supposed to have 12.

Basketball is the easiest sport to do this with, because of the small size of your teams. You can field a full "dressed up" roster in a short period of time.

Baseball would be the next easiest to get a starting rotation...but when it's time to go to the bench...you start adding in a lot of players.

Football is nearly impossible...because you need 24 just to have a full squad.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
STEELtownHAVOX
Starter

Member Number: 6464

Magic
Jordan
Kobe
LeBron
Shaq (laker days)
STEELtownHAVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #10