Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Donít take Roethlisberger for granted

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...r-for-granted/
View From The Press Box

Donít take Roethlisberger for granted

October 27th, 2009

Watching the Redskins bumble their way to another loss last Monday night against the Eagles, it was hard not to marvel at how much Ben Roethlisberger has spoiled the Steelers and their fans.

I donít know where Roethlisberger, 27, belongs when you talk about the elite quarterbacks in the NFL. But he has already won two Super Bowls, and he experienced minimal growing pains after an injury thrust him into the starting lineup three weeks into his rookie season.

Jason Campbell, like Roethlisberger, was a first-round pick, but the similarities pretty much end there.

Campbell, the 25th overall pick of the 2005 draft, looks lost and is pretty much finished Ė at least in Washington where the once promising prospect is now a mistake-prone, boos-triggering quarterback.

Campbellís struggles bolster the argument that quarterback is the hardest position to evaluate when teams are determining which college players will be able to make the jump to the NFL.

The NFL is landscape is littered with first-round busts and some of the biggest ones of all are quarterbacks.

The rub for NFL teams is this: They have to get the right player at quarterback if they want to have any chance of contending for the Super Bowl or even making the playoffs on a consistent basis.

That is why Cleveland will probably use its first-round pick in 2010 on a quarterback Ė even though the Browns had hoped they drafted their signal-caller of the future in 2007 when they selected Brady Quinn.

That reality is also why the Raiders may have to seriously consider taking a quarterback with their first-round pick next April even though they selected JaMarcus Russell with the top pick in the 2007 draft.

Russell has been an unmitigated disaster in Oakland, and his horrendous play is yet another example of why a No. 1 overall pick is anything but a sure thing, particularly when it comes to quarterbacks.

As such, it is way too early to tell whether Detroit is on the right track following the selection of quarterback Matthew Stafford with the first pick of the 2009 draft.

How does any of this pertain to the Steelers? It doesnít, which is precisely the point.

That is because barring an injury to Roethlisberger, the Steelers donít have to worry about filling the most important position on the field for many years to come.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Donít take Roethlisberger for granted

Dang good article and right on point.

I would love to see us draft a QB about 5-6 years from now. Let him sit behind Ben for 2-3 years and develop. Put him on the field in some tough situations and see what happens. If we don't like him, we can dump him and get another QB before Ben is gone. Sure is nice to have a QB that is that dependable! I just hope we don't go another 30 years between franchise QB's.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Dang good article and right on point.

I would love to see us draft a QB about 5-6 years from now. Let him sit behind Ben for 2-3 years and develop. Put him on the field in some tough situations and see what happens. If we don't like him, we can dump him and get another QB before Ben is gone. Sure is nice to have a QB that is that dependable! I just hope we don't go another 30 years between franchise QB's.
I agree with you Preacher but in 30 years I'll probably be back in diapers and slobbering again so I doubt I'll care.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,350 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Ben is the man and I am sure glad we ended up with him. It is a blessing that Rivers and Manning were gone when we got to pick Ben he is the best of that draft.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

The Steelers were definitely spot-on when selecting Ben in the 2004 draft and he has proven their selection right many times over.

There isn't another QB in the NFL who I would want leading the Steelers O and that includes A$$ Chin, Peytoon and one of my fave un-Steelers Drew Brees.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
I agree with you Preacher but in 30 years I'll probably be back in diapers and slobbering again so I doubt I'll care.
Now that's a lovely visual to ponder so early in the morning.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #7
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

There is a couple guys I wouldnt mind seeing in a Steeler uni but would never wanna see em start in place of Ben. I find it somewhat funny that Cleveland had the oppurtunity and passed him for KW2.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

after suffering through:

Malone
Stoudt
Brister
Stewart
Tomzcak
Graham
Maddox

believe me, I DO NOT take Ben for granted! I am enjoying every minute of his career.

After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,048 Times in 418 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_WARDen View Post
after suffering through:

Malone
Stoudt
Brister
Stewart
Tomzcak
Graham
Maddox

believe me, I DO NOT take Ben for granted! I am enjoying every minute of his career.

i dont think i hsve ever seen those names all together
oh the horror
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_WARDen View Post
after suffering through:

Malone
Stoudt
Brister
Stewart
Tomzcak
Graham
Maddox

Hey - leave Walt alone!

As for Kordodobird - he had some flashes of good play so I can't really include him in that list, nor Maddox who almost singlehandedly took the team to the playoffs in 2002. As for the others, they reek of sucktitude.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote