Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-28-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers Colon: Team can spread its wings now and fly

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...gs-now-and-fly
October 27, 8:06 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski

PITTSBURGH - He won't make the chunky soup commercials, not to mention the fact when things go bad he'll come under high scrutiny. It's something that Pittsburgh Steeler lineman Willie Colon accepts.

Following the Steelers 27-17 win over the Vikings on Sunday, Colon had more than one reason to raise his head high. First, while the offensive stats weren't stellar the line play once again was, and secondly the fact the team started 1-2 is now an after thought, as the team takes a 5-2 slate into the bye week.

"I think this means we can start opening our wings a little bit," Colon said. "Obviously we started off rocky, but we have enough talent on this team to potentially go far, but we need to take it one game at a time"

The Vikings have Jared Allen, who has been a beast when it comes to pass rushing this year. He entered the contest with 7.5 sacks on the year. On Sunday, Colon and crew pretty much held him and the rest of the Vikings defense in check.

''They are a good defense," Colon said. " They play hard and Allen and the other big three are some headliners. But we have a clear understanding that when (Ben Roethlsiberger) has plenty of time back there to do what he does, he is pretty much unstoppable, and we understand that as a line if we give him time, we can do well out there."

The line did allow three sacks, but the impressive thing was the ability they had to open up holes for the rush attack. On Sunday, the Steelers averaged 5.3 yards per carry.

"We started off stagnant, but we played hard," Colon said. "They played hard, but we are never content. We understand there are games that we aren't good and games where you are great. It's about us shooting for the ceiling."

While many billed the Vikings game a potential prelude of a Super Bowl matchup, Colon didn't see it that way. To him it was one of 16 and he would rather not see them come down to the final minutes.

"Everyone likes a thriller as a game, but we kind of like it as a blowout," Colon said. " Again, we got off to a slow start in this game because we were unsure of what we wanted to do."

He called the win an overall effort and credited his teammates.

"Justin Hartwig did a great job, our interior guys fought their butts off and I thought Max(Starks)did a good job," Colon said. "So today was an overall effort, you have to give credit to everyone."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Steelers Colon: Team can spread its wings now and fly

Though the OL overall has improved much from last season, I think last week's matchup against the Vikes was the best game they've played thus far this season.

Keep up the good work guyz!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I agree It was a great effort by all and especially the O-line GO STEELERS!!!!!!
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

So here's a very positive post and we have 2 responses (not including this one)? Gosh, I hope our fanbase isn't mirroring a Jerry Springer audience where anything nice gets shoved behind the shocking, disgusting and negative. Spaeth pisses all over the North Shore and Reed get's taken down like white trash on a COPS episode and that gets 11+ pages of postings. Max Starks keep the NFL sack leader from touching our QB and this gets 2 posts? Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I was not happy with the play of our O-Line last year and the first couple games this year. But these guys are playing their butts off right now and should show more appreciation! I've seen several outstanding plays by these guys that you don't see on the ESPN highlight clips (probably because they show too many Brady love fest clips). I've already mentioned Starks, how about Kamoeatu pulling almost as good as Faneca in his prime? Hartwig gave up about a hundred pounds to the guy across from him this weekend and he battled that fat pig for every inch. Essex and Colon both battled big men and opened some nice holes for a great rushing average (that we should have used a little more often).

I see this offensive line putting together the pieces and becoming a solid unit. If they keep maturing along this trend, we'll have a great line in place come January and will certainly be contenders.

So let's start showing a little more enthusiasm!
HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!! :t t04:
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Heh, I got a brief chuckle from thinking "Steelers Colon" was the title of a weekly column, like "Steelers Notebook" or "Steelers Corner."

Call me juvenile if you want, but it seems like our right tackle's name is good for a never-ending supply of funny headlines. What amazes me more is that just when you think it's gotten stale, a new one comes up that goes in different direction.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
Cheppy
Banned

Member Number: 11928

All they have to do is lock up Colon & this offensive line can stay intact for years to come. Exciting to say the least.
Cheppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Starks openly admits that the O-line has trouble against its most troubles against 4-3 defenses. The Vikings have arguably the best one in the league. For our boys in the trenches to stick it to them is huge. I feel like our O-line can play any D-line in the league

Who woulda thought ANYONE would say that this year?
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
Cheppy
Banned

Member Number: 11928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyychoward86 View Post
Starks openly admits that the O-line has trouble against its most troubles against 4-3 defenses. The Vikings have arguably the best one in the league. For our boys in the trenches to stick it to them is huge. I feel like our O-line can play any D-line in the league
Taking that into consideration and the fact the Ravens defense isn't as good as year's past.. Bodes pretty well for those games.
Cheppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Though the OL overall has improved much from last season, I think last week's matchup against the Vikes was the best game they've played thus far this season.

Keep up the good work guyz!
I loved seeing Kemo out there in space looking for someone to pancake.They are definitely playing at a high level.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
CPanther95
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 11672

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Heh, I got a brief chuckle from thinking "Steelers Colon" was the title of a weekly column, like "Steelers Notebook" or "Steelers Corner."

Call me juvenile if you want, but it seems like our right tackle's name is good for a never-ending supply of funny headlines. What amazes me more is that just when you think it's gotten stale, a new one comes up that goes in different direction.
You mean like:
"Steelers Colon not impacted by Vikings rushers".