Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-28-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Zebra Report: Simmer, 'Stealer' Haters

Zebra Report: Simmer, 'Stealer' Haters
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/28/z...ealers-haters/
Posted Oct 28, 2009 9:00AM By Matt Snyder (RSS feed)

Zebra Report is FanHouse's analysis of actual NFL rules and how they are to be applied ... because most fans think they could do a better job than the NFL officials, yet definitely could not. Click here for an introduction as to how we do things.

Of all the complaints about officiating, I think the most maddening is how people who hate the Pittsburgh Steelers -- so, a really, really large contingent -- like to label them the "Stealers" and proclaim they always get the calls. This past weekend was a great example, as the Steelers took down the Vikings fair-and-square, but some people just can't seem to grasp the concept.

First of all, there are tons of complaints about the tripping call which negated a Vikings touchdown -- and was soon followed by a Steelers' defensive touchdown. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what the fuss is about. Tripping is defined as (Rule 3-40) "the use of the leg in obstructing any opponent." In rule 12-1-5, it clearly states that anyone can block an opponent as long as he's not tripping him. I keep seeing the word "phantom" used in conjunction with this call, but click here to watch the highlight (about the 2:20 mark) and keep the rule in mind. Try to be unbiased, consider the rule and see what you see.

I really hate it when people say something along the lines of "the officials should let the players decide the game." They did! If Jeff Dugan could have blocked his man successfully instead of diving at toward the opponent's lower-half and whipping his legs up, the Vikings would have scored a touchdown. Instead, he committed a penalty and got caught. No touchdown. A rule was broken and a price was paid. That's elementary.

Can anyone seriously make the argument that Dugan did not use his legs to obstruct the opponent he was trying to block? If so, please feel free to post your argument in the comments section. I would love to see it.

Speaking of Dugan, him plowing over the official during the kickoff return was neither funny nor acceptable. Look, the officials are part of the field and they take on a certain risk when being out on the field. In fact, umpires (the ones who line up in the vicinity of the inside linebackers and watch the line play) may start wearing helmets next season. Regardless of the risk and the fact that people are miffed with the guys from time to time, they are still human beings -- ones who aren't wearing pads like the players. If Dugan didn't see the official, man, he really should have. He appeared to be running toward him for several steps and his helmet was facing the official. If he did -- and it's very suspicious, considering he was just flagged for tripping four plays earlier -- then he should be suspended. To blatantly run over a guy with a clear motive is easily grounds for punishment. I'd like to believe Dugan was trying to find someone to block and accidentally plowed over Richard Reels (the back judge), but we'll never know for sure. They are both lucky Reels wasn't seriously injured.

In case anyone is curious, it is obviously illegal to contact an official intentionally during any part of the game, but there's no way to prove intent on this play, thus, they couldn't have called any sort of penalty on Dugan for the contact.

There was also a delay of game called on the Vikings defense. The common misconception among casual fans is that there is no such thing as delay of game other than when the play clock strikes zero. There are several other ways to get a delay of game penalty. Here they are (Rule 4-6-5, page 22):

Article 5 Other examples of action or inaction that are to be construed as delay of the game include, but are not limited to, the following:

(a) a player unnecessarily remains on a dead ball or on a runner who has been downed;

(b) the snapper repeatedly snaps the ball after the neutral zone is established and before the Referee can assume his position (see 7-3-3-c-2);

(c) undue delay by either team in assembling after a timeout;

(d) a defensive player aligned in a stationary position within one yard of the line of scrimmage makes quick and abrupt actions that are not a part of normal defensive player movement and are an obvious attempt to cause an offensive player(s) to foul (false start). (The Referee shall blow his whistle immediately.);

(e) spiking or throwing the ball in the field of play after a down has ended, except after a score.

I haven't been able to find a replay or explanation on this one, but I've heard the Vikings were accused of violating (d) on the play in question, which is why I bolded it. The game log shows the penalty on Cedric Griffin, a cornerback, so maybe he was trying to get a wide receiver to flinch. The bottom line is that it's definitely possible to have delay of game called on the defense.

Finally, a collegiate note: the Pac-10 has suspended an official for not seeing one of the most blatant facemasks we ever will. I've often tried to educate the masses that each different official has different responsibilities on every individual play. Thus, in this case, every official would not have been looking at the receiver or had a good angle to see the facemask. How at least one person didn't see the helmet of the player catching a touchdown pass, though, is pretty egregious, which is obviously why the Pac-10 has taken action.

Easy week, as I didn't see much in my inbox other than plays from the Steelers-Vikings game. I guess that's the result of having so many blowouts.

Got a rules-related question? Whether it's elementary, high school or NFL, email TZR and he'll see what he can do
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
ambsteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 12001
Default Re: Zebra Report: Simmer, 'Stealer' Haters

yea he threw his legs up on that tripping call i kind of thought it was a little bogus but after looking at the video it was the right call
ambsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

in his post game press conference, brad childress talked...at...length about the "phantom" trip, saying:

"...i didnt like it, because (TE) jeff dugan is sitting in there with a knot on his thigh..."

---------what? doesn't a thigh bruise kinda prove that he used his legs and not his torso to cut james harrison?
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Said it before, and I'll say it again - only gutless pussies blame the refs for losses. Bottom line is that NFL officiating as a whole sucks, we get as many shit calls and shit no-calls against us as anybody else, the only difference being we don't whine and cry about it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Said it before, and I'll say it again - only gutless pussies blame the refs for losses. Bottom line is that NFL officiating as a whole sucks, we get as many shit calls against us as anybody else, the only difference being we don't whine and cry about it.
AKA the cleveland fans im blessed to listen to all the time

Thats all they talk about and i laugh right in thier face
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:58 PM   #6
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723

Yah well, one horse bleep call for another. Heath Miller's pathetic penalty that took away Holmes TD and cost the Steelers 4 points was just as crucial as there's.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
steelergirl07
Bench Warmer

Location: Original Hawaii girl, now living in Seahawks country
Member Number: 6622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
AKA the cleveland fans im blessed to listen to all the time

Thats all they talk about and i laugh right in thier face
Try living in Seattle. Everytime someone sees my tattoo, Super Bowl XL is brought up.

Six time Super Bowl Champions!!!
steelergirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelergirl07 View Post
Try living in Seattle. Everytime someone sees my tattoo, Super Bowl XL is brought up.
And you get to gloat about who the superbowl champions were. I would never get sick of letting them know who won the silverware. I be proudly wearing that tat for all to see. Better yet - tell them to become penpals with a cardinal fan and they bitch and moan to each other about their sob stories.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:59 AM   #9
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Yeah, it's great rubbing it in the face of jealous fans. Every time I got to Baltimore, I wear my Steelers 2008 AFC Conference Championship hat. I wear that one (instead of the Super Bowl XIII hat) just to specifically remind Ravens fans of the day when we beat their asses third time and ended their Super Bowl aspirations.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:19 AM   #10
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Yah well, one horse bleep call for another. Heath Miller's pathetic penalty that took away Holmes TD and cost the Steelers 4 points was just as crucial as there's.
I'm with you on that one. It sure looked to me like he was blocked into the guy. Maybe his intent was to pick but he was blocked into the man. As far as the trip. It was a trip.
Just like the offensive pass interference call in SB XL that the Seahags cried about. If a receiver pushes off it's pass interference. Period. Personally I think we get more lousy calls than most but that's me.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote