Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Another Look: Dermontti Dawson

Another Look: Dermontti Dawson
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...ti-dawson.html
By: Bob Barrickman -
Beaver County Times

Wednesday October 28, 2009 12:01 AM

The Pittsburgh Steelers, famously, started only three different players at center from 1966 to 2000. An injury to a right guard made the final 12-year leg of that intriguing feat possible.

A second-round pick by the Steelers in the 1988 draft from Kentucky, Dermontti Dawson initially played right guard under coach Chuck Noll. He was injured in his rookie season and was placed on injured reserve.

Noll wanted Dawson to move to center and put him in a competition with Chuck Lanza to replace Mike Webster, who retired after the 1988 season. Dawson won the job and went on to be selected to seven Pro Bowl and was a first team All-Pro every season from 1993-98.

Before Hall of Famer Webster (1976-88), Ray Mansfield manned the position from 1966-75.

“There’s a display at the (Steelers) office showing the history of the centers,” Dawson, 44, said. “It hasn’t been duplicated on any other team.”

Dawson kept his job after Noll retired in 1991 and the Steelers hired Bill Cowher.

“Noll was a father figure, a legend when I became a Steeler,” said Dawson. “While Noll was knowledgeable but laid back, Cowher was always fired up.”

Dawson retired after the 2000 season, primarily due to a hamstring injury suffered at the 1999 Pro Bowl. In addition to his personal accolades, Dawson started for the Steelers in their loss to Dallas in Super Bowl XXX.
Advertisement BVFCU

He considered hooking on with another team, but “I didn’t want to chase dollars by playing for another team. I was proud to play for the Rooneys and for the same team my whole career,” Dawson said.

Dawson has worked for a commercial development company for ten years. Dawson and his wife, Regina, reside in his native Lexington, Ky. They have a son, Brandon, 18 and a daughter, Briana, 16.

Dawson, though, is trying to get back into the NFL. He served an internship at Steelers training camp this past summer.

“I would like to be a scout,” he continued. “(Steelers Director of Football Operations) Kevin Colbert said that his scouting staff is pretty much full, so I am sending out resumes to all the NFL teams. Coaching would be nice, but since my daughter just began her junior year in high school, I just couldn’t commit the time.”

Like he did on the field, Dawson hopes to follow Webster into the Hall of Fame. He was a finalist last year but was ultimately not elected.

Even if he’s never inducted, Dawson is proud of his career.

“I certainly won’t lose any sleep over it.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Re: Another Look: Dermontti Dawson

man it would be nice to see him back with the team! I also hope they elect him into the HoF soon!

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Dude was one hell of a centre - can still picture him pulling out on a sweep better than most guards and he was friggin centre... quiet .... solid... hell of a player... Steeler through & through.

More than deserves the Hall... but if it ever comes will take a while
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,781 Times in 1,614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSteel View Post
Dude was one hell of a centre - can still picture him pulling out on a sweep better than most guards and he was friggin centre... quiet .... solid... hell of a player... Steeler through & through.

More than deserves the Hall... but if it ever comes will take a while
c-e-n-t-e-r
MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:30 AM   #5
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
c-e-n-t-e-r
What's the matter? You got something against foreigners?

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:49 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Dirt was one helluva centre . . . oops center and I believe he will get into the Great Hall one day. He is very deserving of that honor imho.

I'd love to see him on the Steelers scout team but if that doesn't come to fruition, I can only wish him the best of luck securing a position with another NFL team (hopefully not in the AFCN!).

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
c-e-n-t-e-r
Ya thats the Canadian coming out in me "eh".

Just dont ask me to say "about"

Plus they dont have spell check on these message boards, and at work spell check is my best friend
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
oldschool
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5139

He was a great player, a great Steeler, and is a great guy, I had the pleasure of getting his autograph at a pro-am golf tournament about 12 years ago, he was very gracious, and friendly, a true professional. I hope he makes it in to the hall, he is truly deserving, and he's the kind of player that makes the NFL great.

"Medical expertise does not necessarily tell about the will of a man.".....Mike Tomlin
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
Spidey
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2758

Great centre (and that's the queens english), quiet, but awesome, we've never truley replaced him.

We need a new Dirt!

Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote