Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-28-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers Ward; "I can't get frustrated, we are winning."

Steelers Ward; "I can't get frustrated, we are winning."
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...we-are-winning
October 28, 10:35 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski

In the minds of many, the Steelers win over the Vikings was a statement game. A game in which the defending Super Bowl Champions sent a message to the rest of the NFL --" Heard you missed me,I'm back"

Wide receiver Hines Ward was more cautious in his approach of things when asked that question.

"I donít know," Ward said. " It was a great atmosphere Ė a playoff atmosphere with the most fans ever at Heinz Field. The Vikings were 6-0, but we still have a lot of games left."

Ward, is having a career year for the Steelers. Through seven games he is second in the league in receiving yards with 602 yards. He is averaging 14.3 yards per catch and 86 per game. All this at the age of 33.

"I've got a lot of life left in these legs and this mind," Ward said. "The day I know I can't get open against guys I'll walk away from the game."

But it was a different story against the Vikings defense, who stuck to Ward like glue throughout the contest.

"They were taking all of the deep stuff away," Ward said. " And, at the same time, every time I would come underneath, the linebackers were right there covering me."

For most players leading the league like a Randy Moss, there would be complaints that the ball wasn't thrown in their direction more. Not so for Ward.

"I canít get frustrated. Weíre winning. Iím still out there helping the team win. The one pass, I caught the ball down the seam. I think if Mike is a little wider, then that corner doesnít come off of Mike and make the play. I really wasnít expecting to get hit. But he put a good hit on my tail bone."

That mentality is a reason Steeler coach Mike Tomlin is so fond of the elder statesman of the receiving corps.

"He wants to be the reason that we win, not only in stadiums but also around this building when no one's watching," Steeler coach Mike Tomlin said a few weeks back. "He's committed to doing things that put him in position to win. He doesn't run away from competition, he doesn't run away from moments."

Ward drawing attention meant he was able to do another thing he does well, play decoy, especially on quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's 40 yard touchdown pass to rookie wideout Mike Wallace.

"They were getting really deep, so we wanted to take a shot at getting Mike behind the linebacker," Roethlisberger said. "Hines did a good job of attracting that linebacker. It got over his head, and Mike did the rest."

Wallace, who is coming into his own as a big play maker because of his speed, joked after, saying he'll take anything he can get when both Santonio Holmes and Ward are not open.

"It seems that everyone wants to double team Hines and íTone, so it leaves me kind of free at times" Wallace said. "Iíll take whatever scraps I can get."

Which is fine with Ward.

"This is what we talk and preach about finishing the game,' Ward said. "I think the team responded well. We can build on it.Itís great to go into the bye week at 5-2. Weíre stacking wins. In the month of November, weíre heading in the right direction."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119
Default Re: Steelers Ward; "I can't get frustrated, we are winning."

I think we are so lucky to have Ward!! he is a prime example of preparation, when you take care of the little things the big things take care of thereself. That's a big part of what ward is all about!!!!
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Now there's what you call a team player. These next 5 years with Ward are gonna go by fast...
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

I'm not surprised in the least at the comments Ward makes. He's always been a team first kind of guy.

How 'bout this guy Mike Wallace? Is he using cue cards or what. He is definately "learning" from one of the best.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

Its the reason we are in the playoffs year in and year out and contenders. Ward passes along a mindset and work ethic that the teams and the city promote. Its the team that matters not the individual.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Just to play devil's advocate...

So, if they weren't winning he'd be frustrated by the 1 game where he didn't get alot of touches?

It's easy not to be frustrated when you're winning...just look at Randy Moss.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
"I canít get frustrated. Weíre winning. Iím still out there helping the team win."

~ Hines Ward ~
in a nutshell, this is why the franchise has been a winner (more-often than not) for the last 37 years

"if we care-not WHO gets the credit, there is no-limit as to what we can acheive"

~ Ronald Wilson Reagan ~
Old 10-29-2009, 07:08 PM   #8
steelwalls
Starter

Member Number: 13927

There's not a harer working classier WR in this legaue ...period IMO... a pure football player
Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwalls View Post
There's not a harder working classier WR in this legaue ...period IMO... a pure football player

if he were 10 years younger, and the Coaching Staff were tinkering with the notion of running the 'wildcat' offesne, he'd be takin' the snap from center
4xSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Love Love Love LOVE Ward!!!
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote