Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
Raynestorm
Water Boy

Member Number: 15153
Default HoFers currently on the roster

Simple task...name some HoFers that are on the current roster.

Ben: First, he's got two rings and that makes him stand out from most. Second, I think, by the time he retires, he'll have the numbers. Third, no QB in the league is harder to bring down, even if you get a hand on him. And he makes plays outside the pocket. He's like a much larger version of John Elway. Speaking of John, I think by the time it's all over, Ben will have more comeback wins than John.

Hines: He's got 5 more years on his contract and he's having a career year right now. He's second in the league in yards. He'll easily overtake 13K by the time he leaves the NFL. He's known for being the tough, over the middle guy that can put you on your can with a run block. The HoF committee likes guys like that. He's also smiling all the time - which means he LOVES the game. The HoF committie likes that, too.

Troy P. He plays like a beast. It's a toss up between him and Ed Reed as to who the best safety is in the league. He flies to the ball and his speed gives LeBeau the ability to disguise coverages. He's excellent in pass coveage and can bring the wood on a hit. He may, by the time he retires, lead the NFL all time for INTS from the safety position.

Possible but it's too soon yet: Woodley. His ability to either be a DE or an LB is going to give him some numbers and he's the future leader of the D.

Guys that have left the team that I think will go in....Dermontti Dawson, Jerome Bettis and Bill Cowher.

Rayne
Raynestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: HoFers currently on the roster

If we win a third Super Bowl this year, I think it will mean a LOT more guys will have at least a shot of getting in.

Much as I hate to say it, Parker would probably be at the top of that list, because when's the last time a RB who won three Super Bowls didn't make it? ... well, Roger Craig, but that's a travesty if you ask me, and he still has a chance.

I also think Ike Taylor and Casey Hampton would get consideration IF we won another Super Bowl (but not without it) as the "anchors" of their respective parts of the defense. Heath Miller, A. Smith and Farrior would be in the same scenario, but admittedly much more of a longshot. Maybe one of those guys would make it out of the group.

edit: And yes, I think Ben, Troy and Ward are all a lock to get in the HOF, or damn near a lock. Of former players, Dawson definitely, Bettis definitely, Faneca maybe, and Porter also maybe, if he keeps playing well for another 2-3 years or so.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

If he keeps it up, James Harrison.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Dick LaBeau had better make it in. They've been saying that for a while now that even though the committee is biased against inducting position coaches, LaBeau is just too much of a genius to ignore.

Ben has a really good shot. 4 out of 5 years in the league, he’s made it to the playoffs, and two of those years were Super Bowl wins. His numbers are continuing to improve as they’ve moved to a more pass-friendly offense… many are comparing him to his hero, Elway, but to be honest, I think that when all is said and done, Ben might have the better career. It took Elway until the last two years of his career to win the Super Bowl. Ben’s already done that twice, and I don’t think he’s done yet. He also had the best first season of any rookie QB, ever (0 regular season losses… suck on that, Flacco).

Hines Ward is the toughest wide receiver in football and though a veteran player, looks just as good as players 10 years younger than him. He has several more seasons left in him, and when he’s done, he’ll probably have surpassed 13,000-14,000 yards.

Troy is a shoe-in. The guy is not only the best defensive player in the game… he’s the best player. Period.

James Harrison also has a shot if he keeps up with the sacks. The guy is unstoppable (unless you apply an illegal hold, which you really should since the officials tend to look the other way!).

A few youngsters that look like they could be huge…

Santonio Holmes… not only can he make stunning catches, but he’s a master of the YAC. Check out that catch-and-run he had last week or his TD against the Ravens in the AFC Championship Game last year.

Mike Wallace... This rookie is playing as well as third or fourth-year man. Sky’s the limit, baby!

Rashard Mendenhall… If he can hold onto the ball a little bit better, I think that this guy has both the speed and the physical toughness that Pittsburgh has lacked at the runningback position since the backfield tandem of Jerome Bettis and (healthy) Willie Parker. He could have a huge career if he just sharpens his focus a bit.

As for former members, Bettis and Cowher will definitely make it in.

Last edited by Angus Burgher; 10-29-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Angus Burgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Willie Parker a Hall of Famer..C'mon
Old 10-29-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

I would love to see Heath get in. We all know that he's one of the best (if not THE Best) TE in the league. But his numbers aren't as good as some others. Unfortunately, it's hard to count the "Intangibles" (like blocking ability) when considering a HoFer...

Hopefully he keeps rolling and getting the numbers (receptions, TDs)

As for Ben--yes
Hines---I think so
Troy----I agree. Best player in the whole damn league. Whole offensive schemes have to be changed to account for him.

LeBeau gets in this year.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Damn, yeah I forgot about Heath. He's one of our best players and its good to see him getting the ball more often. I think he definitely has a shot if they keep on involving him the passing game. The guy is such an awesome blocker, too.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
TX Steelerfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15119

Lynn Swann and John Stallworth are both HOF'ers for this franchise. Hines Ward has surpassed their records and holds all-time Steeler records in several receiving categories, has a SB MVP award, is considered the best blocking WR of our time. If he's not a lock, I sure don't know what is.

LeBeau is way overdue; he's a legendary position coach who also made a name for himself as a player.

As for former Steeler playerss (retired or active) who are locks, I'd say only 2: Bettis, and Faneca.

Current Steelers who have a good chance but are not yet locks: Ben and Troy, and that's it. You have to keep in mind that a HOF'er either puts up crazy numbers at their position, have a consistent and long career (Ben, hopefully), and/or has elevated their respective position to a new level as well as redefined their position (Troy).

As for the others mentioned in this thread, I'll say this: they may be candidates for the Steelers Coca-Cola Great Hall, but they are far from serious contention for enshrinement at Canton.
TX Steelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Willie Parker a Hall of Famer..C'mon
Not because I think he's a good running back, that's for sure. If we win three Super Bowls, it'll be in spite of him, not because he helped much. But I can see him getting in by default just because he happened to be "The Starter" at a key position on a 3x Super Bowl winner.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #10
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Steelerfan View Post
Lynn Swann and John Stallworth are both HOF'ers for this franchise. Hines Ward has surpassed their records and holds all-time Steeler records in several receiving categories, has a SB MVP award, is considered the best blocking WR of our time. If he's not a lock, I sure don't know what is.

LeBeau is way overdue; he's a legendary position coach who also made a name for himself as a player.

As for former Steeler playerss (retired or active) who are locks, I'd say only 2: Bettis, and Faneca.

Current Steelers who have a good chance but are not yet locks: Ben and Troy, and that's it. You have to keep in mind that a HOF'er either puts up crazy numbers at their position, have a consistent and long career (Ben, hopefully), and/or has elevated their respective position to a new level as well as redefined their position (Troy).

As for the others mentioned in this thread, I'll say this: they may be candidates for the Steelers Coca-Cola Great Hall, but they are far from serious contention for enshrinement at Canton.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you---Heath, the LBs, Aaron Smith, etc most likely will not get in...Hell, Donnie Shell and LC Greenwood aren't even in the Hall

I hope Dawson makes it