Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Cheppy
Banned

Member Number: 11928
Default Ryan Clark Cleared To Play

Steelers' Clark: Docs say I can play at Denver
Saturday, October 31, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers safety Ryan Clark said today he's been cleared by doctors to play but remains unsure whether he will take the field in Denver a week from tomorrow.

"Basically, I've been cleared by all the doctors but the decision still hasn't been made," Clark said this afternoon in an interview on ESPN Radio 1250. "We still have time. Obviously it's a Monday night game, so it's a long way from now."

Clark has sickle-cell trait and his blood reacted so poorly in the exertion of playing in the thin Denver air with the Steelers in 2007 that he became almost deathly ill after the game. He wound up having his spleen and gall bladder removed, lost 30 pounds and missed the second half of the 2007 season.

He's been consulting with his doctors for a while about whether he can play in Denver again. He said he will practice all week and at some point decide whether to play.

"Coach and I have talked about it, the doctors talked abut it, my wife and I. We'll figure it out," Clark said in the radio interview. "I'll be there either way. I'll be at the game.

"When the decision is made, I'll let coach decide when to tell the media and everybody whether or not I'm going to play, and I'm going to kind of stay out of it from that standpoint, but I will make the decision.

"If we find out there is a risk, then I'm not going to play. Unless I can be told, 'Hey, you're fine, there's nothing going to happen to any other organs,' then I'm going to play, I'll go try to hurt people and have a great time.

"But if there are any unsure moments about it, I'll sit on the sidelines and wear a hat and coach."

Clark gave an interesting reason why he wants to play in Denver.

"I think kind of the competitor in me, the ego of a football player, it's not so much I want to go beat the Broncos, as I would like to come back fully from a situation that brught me near death and kind of conquer playing in a place that made me ill in that kind of way.

"But you have to take yourself out of it from that standpoint, realize you do have children, you do have a life and you have a career that you would like to be long, so you want to come out healthy."

While he said doctors may have cleared him, they still have not done so to his satisfaction.

"That's understanding the situation enough to know nothing's going to happen to me," Clark explained. "I mean, you can hear certain things, they can put papers in front of you and tests in front of you, but until you're completely comfortable with what you're hearing, it's going to be a tough decision.

"And right now I haven't taken in enough information to make a decision either way."
Cheppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Ryan Clark Cleared To Play

Green is too hard to read

Edit: Thank you!.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."

Last edited by stillers4me; 10-31-2009 at 04:05 PM.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I can see him suiting up, and sitting on the sidelines.

Play him in certain situations. Third down and longs, Late in the quarter and half...

Situations where there are going to be more throws deep.

However, I REALLY don't want him playing.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Cheppy
Banned

Member Number: 11928

"I'll be there either way. I'll be at the game."

He shouldn't make the trip if he's not going to play. That's my two cents.
Cheppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheppy View Post

Just hope he's not doing something he shouldn't.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheppy View Post

i agree. What the heck are you risking your life for sitting on the sidelines (albeit, watching your teammates). Heck, he might as well play if that's the case. But really, i dont want him to be anywhere near Denver when we play the Broncos. If the doctors say it's ok, it probably is, but there's way too much risk riding on the one game that i think he should just sit his butt home and watch us on t.v. Please don't give us a scare like last time.
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I don't think the trip is the problem but the exertion in that altitude is.

What did I get out of the article? Ryan's wife hasn't convinced him not to play yet.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
GridironWarrior
Starter

Member Number: 9565

I rather he sit out. I don't want him to risk his health. Mundy would get the start or Carter?
GridironWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Don't Play!

It's not worth it.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #10
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i think PFT said it best (for once). the Steelers should make the decision for him and not let him play. he gives it his all for this team week in and week out.. he is probably the nicest player to the fans on the entire team. i don't want to see him go out there and get sick or hurt.. and i don't think the Steelers should let him contemplate over this kind of a decision.

and he is the last person that should be trusting what doctors tell him.. and it sounds like he knows it too. after all, it was the Steelers doctors who misdiagnosed him and could have in effect killed him had he not gotten a second opinion.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote