Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551
Default Lerner Upset after Chicago Drubbing

Quote:
CHICAGO – OK, Browns fans, if you think you are mad at the way the team is playing, then you should have seen club owner Randy Lerner following Sunday’s 30-6 drubbing administered by the Chicago Bears at Soldier Field.

Now, that was MAD – in capital letters – and it could mean some very interesting – and important – discussions among the Browns’ high-level football people will be carried on as the team enters its bye week. In fact, those discussions could start as soon as Sunday night when everybody returns back home from Chicago, where the Browns fell to 1-7 at the halfway point of the season, matching their worst start since they returned to the field.

The other time came in the expansion year of 1999. That was a decade ago. So what’s the problem now?

That’s what Lerner seems to want to find out – and now.

For what close observers of the team say is the first time they can remember, the owner stood at the end of the runway leading from the field to the locker room and glared at the players and coaches as they walked off at halftime with the score already 16-0 and the Browns with just 61 yards in total offense. That was 101 less at the point than the Bears, who were downright awful in their own right but made to look like Super Bowl contenders in comparison to the way Cleveland was playing.

“I want those guys to see me,” Lerner said.

He waited right there and glared at the players and coaches again as they came out of the locker room and took the field for the second half.

The owner was clearly fuming, being probably as visibly irate as he’s been publicly since he took over ownership of the club when his father, Al Lerner, passed away on Oct. 23, 2002.

“I’m tired of this (stuff)!” he said.

Later, he confided to an associate of the team, “This is terrible.”

“So what do you do?” the associate asked.

Lerner replied, “I don’t know.”

Not yet, at least.

One observer said head coach Eric Mangini after the game “felt as if the owner was looking over his shoulder.”

And maybe he was.

The observer said Lerner wants to talk specifics with Mangini, including finding out the exact role of general manager George Kokinis, whose hiring he lobbied for strongly with the owner after he was hired as coach. Kokinis keeps a very low profile and has talked publicly only a few times since being hired 10 months ago from the Baltimore Ravens.
http://cle.scout.com/2/915221.html
Old 11-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,675 Posts
Default Re: Lerner Upset after Chicago Drubbing

oh my ....he don't broke out "the evil eye " .. ...that oughta turn things around in a hurry....

Quote:
Im tired of this (stuff)! he said.

Later, he confided to an associate of the team, This is terrible.

So what do you do? the associate asked.

Lerner replied, I dont know.
hey i've got an idea.... first hire someone who's ...not an idiot as your GM.... then instruct them to hire someone who's not a belecheat assistant...
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,841 Times in 2,166 Posts

Quote:
Lerner replied, “I don’t know.”
Jinkys, theres a clue.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

First off what they need to do is play the best players. Anderson has been terrible but I dont blame him. He has no body to throw to. They traded Winslow and Edwards. They have no Rb worth a crap. Lewis is 2 years removed from being a player. They have a handful of guys that could start on other teams. Mangini dont like Quinn and is only playing Anderson to cash in on a high draft pick to get his QB next year. This is absolutely pathetic. I feel for the Browns fans. Some of the best in the NFL and having to deal with this bs for 10 years now is sad.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
First off what they need to do is play the best players. Anderson has been terrible but I dont blame him. He has no body to throw to. They traded Winslow and Edwards. They have no Rb worth a crap. Lewis is 2 years removed from being a player. They have a handful of guys that could start on other teams. Mangini dont like Quinn and is only playing Anderson to cash in on a high draft pick to get his QB next year. This is absolutely pathetic. I feel for the Browns fans. Some of the best in the NFL and having to deal with this bs for 10 years now is sad.
IDK, I think they are playing Anderson because the other knuckle head has a clause in his contract that if he plays so many snaps this season he gets a big bonus. I don't believe for a second that Lerner isn't in on that. This glaring incident seems more like show to me.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
IDK, I think they are playing Anderson because the other knuckle head has a clause in his contract that if he plays so many snaps this season he gets a big bonus. I don't believe for a second that Lerner isn't in on that. This glaring incident seems more like show to me.
I heard this on the radio this morning lol Mike and Mike was talking about it.

It could be true, there season is already shot why let the guy your going to have to pay bonuses to play in a pointless situation???

TO GET BETTER

The Browns are stupid if they are really doing this....if they considered quinn there future paying him the bonus to take snaps and get experience when your current QB has the worst rating in the league only makes sense.
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

A) Quinn will be the starter from here on out. The bonus is safe now.
B) Mangina is already on his way out. After the public embarrassment of the Brown-out Cleveland will almost be forced to fire him.
C) Rob Ryan as interim and the next coach search is on...Cowher's name will come up a lot, so just get used to it and DON'T kill the messenger (me) for the message.

I'm not saying he will be the next coach, but an offer WILL be made if and when Mangina is gone.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500

Cleveland really puts the "dis" in dysfunctional.
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
I heard this on the radio this morning lol Mike and Mike was talking about it.

It could be true, there season is already shot why let the guy your going to have to pay bonuses to play in a pointless situation???

TO GET BETTER

The Browns are stupid if they are really doing this....if they considered quinn there future paying him the bonus to take snaps and get experience when your current QB has the worst rating in the league only makes sense.
If Lerner is too cheap to pay Quinn his bonus, then he is probably still too cheap to pay Phil Savage, Romeo Crennell AND Mangini, Kokinis NOT TO WORK FOR HIM. He still is paying Savage and Crennell until their 2011 contracts expire.

I see Mangini getting another season, or at least he gets let go and Rob Ryan takes over with most of the same staff to prevent having to pay 2 entire staffs NOT to coach, while paying one more to be your coaching staph.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I'm still laughing about their "boycott".

"When the going gets tough, Browns fans hide in the stadium toilets"

Stat Track

Jamarcus Russell..........46.3% 5.6 YPA, 47.3 Rating
D. Anderson.....................43.8% 4.4 YPA, 40.3 Rating
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote