Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983
Default This is a huge, HUGE two game stretch for Pittsburgh, and here's why.................

Right now, Cincy holds the tie breaker over Pittsburgh at 5-2, and hold a one game lead over the Ravens.

Cincy 5-2
Pittsburgh 5-2
Baltimore 4-3

My sis came over yesterday and we were talking about the game Sunday between Baltimore and Cincy. It is highly unlikely that game will end a 0-0 tie (the utmost desired) or even a tie with both teams scoring. So we wondering: who would we rather win that game? I've been thinking about this all last night and all this evening coming up with all kinds of scenarios.................

The Steelers have a HUGE opportunity to take a two game lead over Cincy with these next two games..............................but that would have to start with a Baltimore victory on Sunday. (I know what you're thinking, but bear with me.)

Steelers: best case scenario- Steelers beat Denver and Cincy, move to 7-2, Baltimore beats Cincy, that puts Pittsburgh two games above Cincy (5-4)

another one to think about: Steelers beat Denver, lose to Cincy, record 6-3 OR Steelers lose to Denver, beat Cincy, record 6-3 (tied for first place with Cincy at worst no matter what Baltimore does)

Cincy: best case scenario- beat Baltimore, beat Pittsburgh, move to 7-2 with division lead no matter what.

worst case scenario- lose next two, move to 5-4 (that would mean Pittsburgh is 6-3 no matter what and at least tied with division lead with Baltimore (pending they beat Cleveland which they probably will.)

Baltimore: best case scenario- beat Cincy, beat Cleveland, move to 6-3 and at least tied with either Cincy (Cincy loses to them but beats Steelers, Cincy record 6-3), OR at least tied with the Steelers (Steelers lose to Denver, but beats Cincy, Steelers record 6-3) So either way Baltimore is at least tied for 1st place.

worst case scenario- lose next two, move to 4-5 and pretty much be done for this year and that's a rap.

So there are different ways of looking at this: pull for Baltimore (which is a Cardinal sin), we win next two, move to 7-2, Bengals 5-4, Ratbirds are 6-3, one game lead for the Steelers over Baltimore with still having to play them twice.

Or, you could say, pull for Cincy, which means Ravens fall to 5-4 (cause they will beat Cleveland more than likely) beat them next Sunday (along with Denver Monday Night), and we would have a one game lead over Cincy (6-3) and two game lead over the Ravens (5-4), Steelers-7-2.

But now, back to the Monday nighter for us. If we lose to Denver (only a scenario), but beat Cincy, and they have already beaten the Ravens, that puts us in a 1st place tie with Cincy, both being 6-3 and Ravens at 5-4.

Let me make this simple: assuming we can win the next two games, would you rather root for Cincy then beat them, take with a ONE game lead, OR would you rather root for Baltimore, they then beat Cleveland, move to 6-3, we already won both, we're 7-2.....................................KNOWING that we've already lost to Cincy, but not the Ravens? Remember, the Ravens are probably going to beat Cleveland. They've only won ONE division game just like we have, but Cincy HASN'T lost a division game yet.

That was a lot to take in, so here's a cold one.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Steelboy84
Banned

Default Re: This is a huge, HUGE two game stretch for Pittsburgh, and here's why.............

Ravens beat Cincy, we beat Cincy, we go into Baltimore AT LEAST knowing we have the division lead. Beat the Ravens twice, beat Cleveland, division record 5-1, we would have beaten both Cincy AND Baltimore, no one else has only one loss in the division except us, they beat up on each other, we win the division!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Kaeg
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5784
Default Re: This is a huge, HUGE two game stretch for Pittsburgh, and here's why.............

My head hurts....
Kaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Steelboy84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeg View Post
My head hurts....
lol

I know man. Have a cold one.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Steelboy84
Banned

Another thing to think about: if we only win one of these games (Cincy), we're 6-3. If Cincy beats the Ravens, they're 6-3, but we're still tied for the division lead. If we beat Cincy and Baltimore beats Cincy and Cleveland, they're 6-3, tied with us being 6-3 (that's if we only beat Cincy) for the division lead, but Baltimore doesn't hold a tie breaker with us at 6-3 like Cincy would. We wouldn't have the outright lead in either case, but we would have the CHANCE STILL to take it beating Baltimore twice. We would still be tied for the lead in this case with Cincy if Cincy beats Baltimore Sunday.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Hotrodder07
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13485

Here's what I'm hoping for:

We beat the Broncos, and the Bengals. We're 7-2

Bengals lose to Ravens, and us. 5-4

Ravens beat Bengals, but lose to Cleveland. 5-4 (But they probably won't lose to the Browns, so let's call them 6-3. Still, that's what I want.)

So, after the next two weeks:
Steelers: 7-2
Ravens: 6-3
Bengals: 5-4

Last edited by Hotrodder07; 11-03-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Hotrodder07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Let's do our job and win the rest of the games and everything will take care of itself. Anything else is just speculation.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

ill never pull for cincy to win a game, i hope their godforsaken franchise loses for the rest of its oathetic existence. i hope the ravens take cincy out next week, we beat denver, then we beat cincy next week, then after that our schedule is smooth sailing
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:58 PM   #9
Christian Snyder
Team Captain

Member Number: 14544

I guess you have to root for the Ravens to beat the Bengals...

Old 11-02-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
WindyCitySteelerFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10940

I think I lost the remainder of my braincells reading this.. LOL!
WindyCitySteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote