Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
aries4972
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6890
Default question about the bye week?.........

..... heard on local am sports talk that the NFL started the bye week in 1990(that sounds about right)..... then they went on to say that in the 92-93' season each team actually had 2 bye weeks in that season. I've been watching Steeler/NFL football for close to 36yrs(i'm 38) and i dont remember a season with 2 bye weeks. Now keep in mind I was a sophmore in college at the time and most of those memories disappeared in a cloud of smoke Does anyone else remember a season wuith 2 bye weeks?

.......................... .......
aries4972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: question about the bye week?.........

I definitely remember a year where they had two bye weeks. But they canceled that plan because in order to make up for the longer regular season, they had to get rid of the extra week before the Super Bowl for all the hype. They just played the Super Bowl the week after the conference championships ... which I personally liked better, but for some reason it didn't go over well with the various entities within the league, so they scrapped it.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I definitely remember a year where they had two bye weeks. But they canceled that plan because in order to make up for the longer regular season, they had to get rid of the extra week before the Super Bowl for all the hype. They just played the Super Bowl the week after the conference championships ... which I personally liked better, but for some reason it didn't go over well with the various entities within the league, so they scrapped it.
Yep i kinda like it when they played the SB the week after the championship games. It didnt seem like forever for the SB to come. The 2 week bye didnt go over to well, you had some teams going into a bye week then 2 weeks later again.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

Perhaps that was where Roger Goodell got his brainstorm to expand the schedule.

Yeah, I had forgotten about that but it is true; check this out: http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/pit/1993.htm

Though I had forgotten about the year with two bye week, I do remember when the NFL was expanding and they went from 30 to 32 teams. Problem was they resuccitated the Browns but didn't add the Texans until a couple years later. The result was a few seasons with 31 teams, which meant because that was an odd number somebody had to be on a bye each and every week - including the first week of the season as well as the last week of the season.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
I remember that too and I also liked just one week between the playoffs and the SB. Two weeks is ok if you're team isn't playing but if the Steelers play I want to see the game NOW!
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
But they canceled that plan because in order to make up for the longer regular season, they had to get rid of the extra week before the Super Bowl for all the hype.
It's all about the moola. Both the host city and the NFL make a king's ransom in that 2 weeks period between the AFC/NFC Championship games and the Super Bowl.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote