Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default 75 Percent of Young Americans Are Unfit for Military Duty

WASHINGTON (Nov. 3) -- Are America's youth too fat, dumb or dishonest to defend the nation against its enemies?

The latest Army statistics show a stunning 75 percent of military-age youth are ineligible to join the military because they are overweight, can't pass entrance exams, have dropped out of high school or had run-ins with the law.

So many young people between the prime recruiting ages of 17 and 24 cannot meet minimum standards that a group of retired military leaders is calling for more investment in early childhood education to combat the insidious effects of junk food and inadequate education.

He calls the rising number of youth unfit for duty a matter of national security. "We should be concerned about how this will impact this overstretched Army and its ability to recruit."

http://www.sphere.com/2009/11/03/70-...uty/?icid=main
--------------------------------------------------------

That's it then...everyone between 18 and 22 should have mandatory military service. Work it off.

Make it so, Obama.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
steelwalls
Starter

Member Number: 13927
Default Re: 75 Percent of Young Americans Are Unfit for Military Duty

I believe it. Heck at 34 years old I have been contacted several times to reinlist but now having a family I feel I have allready done my duty, but I do feel even at my age Im in better shape than most 20 year olds.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
The latest Army statistics show a stunning 75 percent of military-age youth are ineligible to join the military because they are overweight, can't pass entrance exams, have dropped out of high school or had run-ins with the law.
I guess it takes a little more than a village & public education these days.....

Quote:
Killer

That's it then...everyone between 18 and 22 should have mandatory military service. Work it off.

Make it so, Obama.
Mandatory military service....NOT mandatory public service......

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Well what do you expect from a generation raised in homes where the parents try to be a friend more than a parent?

With every year that goes by, the youth of this country come to expect everything for nothing because thier parents get them whatever they want just because they asked for it.

My son who is 10 came home one day and said that a couple of his friends at school get "presents" everyday after school just for coming home! He wanted to know why he didn't get a present everyday. Needless to say I straightened him out and told him his friends will be all but useless when they need to fend for themselves as adults.

Even if todays youth were not to fat and stupid they wouldn't join because you can't be a mammas boy in the military!

We are circling the drain.............

'
Old 11-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
75 Percent of Young Americans Are Unfit for Military Duty
While in the middle east, 100% of the population is fit for military service!

Which is why roughly 200 thousand members of the US military can seize control of a country (occupied by 28 million) in about 3 days.
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the Galaxy. Service guarantees citizenship. Would you like to know more?

Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #7
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Of The GODS View Post
Well what do you expect from a generation raised in homes where the parents try to be a friend more than a parent?

With every year that goes by, the youth of this country come to expect everything for nothing because thier parents get them whatever they want just because they asked for it.

My son who is 10 came home one day and said that a couple of his friends at school get "presents" everyday after school just for coming home! He wanted to know why he didn't get a present everyday. Needless to say I straightened him out and told him his friends will be all but useless when they need to fend for themselves as adults.

Even if todays youth were not to fat and stupid they wouldn't join because you can't be a mammas boy in the military!

We are circling the drain.............

'
It's not just the parents trying to be friends, but it's the XBOX generation (or Playstation Generation whatever you want to call it). Children are not outside playing and running around. They're enamored with video games, facebook, myspace, IM, etc.

The schools have also put less emphasis on PE and more emphasis on school work (as hard as it is to believe). I was at a program for my son last night and looking at some of the requirements, they have one fast track program that doesn't require anything for PE. My daughter when she went to a magnet program was allowed to complete a PE program, ONLINE.

Then when you try to get them motivated, they look at us like we're crazy.

Like others here, I truly feel that at 38 years of age I am in better shape now than I was when I was in the Navy. I could probably do better than 50% of the youth today.

And I honestly believe that having a mandatory 2 years of service out of HS would straighten them out and one of two things would happen. One would be that some would become lifers even though they thought at first the military wasn't for them. Two those who come out after 2 years and go to college would be better prepared to conquer the many requirements in the classroom as well as in post-college.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this one out. Our culture has become one that accepts failure and demonizes anyone who criticizes you for being less-than-perfect.

So you see a kid growing up fat, lazy and stupid, and you try to do something about it? Suddenly, YOU'RE the problem because you're not being "sensitive." The appropriate response is to blame the problem on a faceless non-human entity, like video games or McDonald's, then demand that it be regulated, which doesn't solve anything.

But it's OK, because assigning blame is more socially acceptable than actually fixing the problem. And in fact, if you do try to fix most problems using your own common sense, you'll probably get fired over fear that someone will sue you.

This stupid country.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

This is what happens when you ban dodgeball from grade school.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:23 AM   #10
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
This is what happens when you ban dodgeball from grade school.
LOL they did that when i was in grade school, but our brilliant gym teacher came up with a new game.....FRISBEE WAR!...Yea stupid i know he would let kids wing plastic frisbees at each other but NO YOU CANT throw balls at each other
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote