Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room > Well Wishes

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
steelpinstripe72
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2881
Default Re: Prayers needed

Thanks guys...it's set for noon on Monday, and I had my last pre-op appointment today (I feel like I'm preparing for a trip to the moon). The doc said I'm a "lean mean muscle machine," lol. A lean mean muscle machine that's in a lot of pain, but anyway. What's keeping me going is my faith and a promise that I made to my best friend - that I'd be there to see him realize his dream, when that happens. Both of us know that neither of us can quit til we got nothing left.
steelpinstripe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Just read this now.... and am praying for you.

As others have said, let us know how things turn out.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Hey you have a tremendous strong positive attitude and I love that! Keep strong and remember God is with you at all times and will help you through this all!
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #15
steelpinstripe72
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2881

Thanks everybody...I've been meaning to get on here and give an update, and now that I've actually written out what went down, I'll re-post from my facebook. Short version: things didn't go as planned (but I'm okay now). Long version:

I had surgery on December 14th. Two days prior to this, they did an MRI, so that they could determine whether or not the valve in my brain was pumping. Now, the MRI...so not cool. When they do it of the head, they put this thing that looks like a stormtrooper helmet over your face. And then stuff you in a tube. I take one look at the helmet and am like, "Oh, no. NO WAY." All the while actually backing out of the room. Seriously. Luckily, they had an open MRI with the "helmet" looking more like a goalie mask. OK. Two thumbs up. We get the MRI done, we go home. Sunday. I go to church, then go home and start packing, because surgery is scheduled for 7:30 the next morning. A little while before my mom and I leave, the phone rings. Mum checks the caller ID and is like, "Sharon? I don't know a Sharon...oh...Sharon, PA...oh wait." Yeah, Mum, pick up the phone because you're closer...unless you want me to run you over. That call meant a lot...you know who you are, if you're reading this. Still want those 19,000 cookies? (LOL)

But the next morning, we had to be there at 6. The nurse who was putting in my IV told me first she couldn't find her glasses because some other nurse had them. Oooooooooook. This is not boding well. But she gets her glasses and gets the IV in on the first try. They do the surgery, and after removing the scar tissue we suspected was in there, had to reconnect the shunt. They had to do this, because my body had created another path for the fluid to get to where it was supposed to go. When they went in, this path was disrupted. So they put in a new tube and reconnected it. Finished, right? Wrong.

Guys, one has to remember that the valve in my brain was 25 years old. It had been unhooked for at least a year. Between how old it was and how much fluid had accumulated in my brain, the shunt could no longer handle what they were asking it to do. It was flowing too fast, so every time I tried to sit up, the headaches that I had would get worse, I would get sick (which was fun with nothing in my stomach and 5 holes in my core), and the room would just spin. I spent three days flat on my back, barely conscious, and let me tell you this: Because of the pain, which the painkillers did little to deter, I remember hardly any of it. It's like I have a jigsaw puzzle and have no idea what piece goes where, because I remember things, but if you ask me when these things happened...I couldn't tell you. I remember having a CT scan, x-rays...kicking a nurse out of my room, because she couldn't draw blood properly ("Hold your breath while I move the needle." "GET OUT!!!"). I love how she was like, "I'm not trying to torture you, I've been doing this for 20 years." Er...get out. Just get out. But did that happen Tuesday or Wednesday? Not a clue. The only thing I can tell you for certain is that I was sending my best friend his Scriptures at 3 AM, when the nurses would make their rounds. Those were my only real lucid moments, I think, when I would put those together and send them. If I woke you, champ, I'm sorry...just wanted to make sure you had them :)

They went in again, I think on Thursday. This time to replace the valve in my brain, which they replaced with a programmable valve that is set with a magnet. So I can't be near refrigerator doors, hold my cell phone to my right ear, among other things. But anyway. By Thursday night, Friday morning, I was able to sit up again. And eat. And I went home on Saturday. They did have to change the setting on the valve when I went for my post-op visit last week, but hopefully this is it. They do want me back in a month, but I want to say...and you guys know who you are...the prayers, encouragement, and friendship mean the world. God bless you all :) <3
steelpinstripe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:39 AM   #16
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,072 Times in 1,298 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Hopefully things will get better for you now. It is good to hear you came through this all right and hopefull all of this is going to be behind you now.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:09 AM   #17
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

You've really been through a lot and you've handled it with such dignity! I've been known to throw a rude or incompetent nurse out of my room too - LOL!

I wish you well in your recovery and please know that we are all keeping those prayers going. Please continue to let us know how you are doing.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #18
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Holly, it pains me to know you are suffering like this. I am so sorry.

You are in my thoughts and prayers friend and I will pray for another miracle and that you are given the wisdom and perseverence to find the doctor with the knowledge to identify the cause of your pain and help you.

I can now understand your natural affinity for our favorite Pink Floyd song "Learning to fly"

It is on my ipod and is one of my absolute favorite workout tunes!

Don't give up Holly, I truly believe there IS a doctor who can can figure out the cause of this.

~ 3 Doors Down

Last edited by GBMelBlount; 01-23-2010 at 10:51 AM.
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:15 AM   #19
BigBen'sSwagger
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15463

Just now read this and you certainly have gone through a lot. I hope the worst is over and that you quickly recover. I will say prayers for you.

I love Pink Floyd as well, but then again who doesn't??? Last year went to the laser light show down here in San Antonio with my oldest son it was a pretty cool experience.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #20
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Holly,

You are remarkable.

With everything that you went through, I can still sense the humor and a good-natured attitude in your post.

May God continue to watch over you and shower you with the blessing of friends, and with a peace that comes in knowing Him and His plan in your life. May your recovery be one in which you are surrounded by those that love you, and your rest be one of those who know what it is like to be cradled in the loving arms of our Father.

-LLT
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote