Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Tomlin Motivates Steelers With 'Denver's No. 1' Message

Tomlin Motivates Steelers With 'Denver's No. 1' Message
Broncos' Defense Is 'An Awesome Challenge,' Says Big Ben
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...14/detail.html
UPDATED: 3:42 pm EST November 6, 2009

PITTSBURGH -- The more coach Mike Tomlin keeps talking about it, the more agitated his players get ... exactly the response he wants from his Pittsburgh Steelers.

Tomlin keeps referring to the Broncos as having "the world's best defense," a reference to Denver's spot atop the NFL team yardage statistics. He mentioned it during the weekly team meeting. Before practice on Wednesday. Before practice on Thursday. And he'll likely keep saying it until game time Monday.

"We've heard coach Tomlin say it 1,000 times already this week," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "They're a great defense, a big challenge for us ... an awesome challenge."

Monday Night: Watch "Black & Gold Primetime" live from Denver at 7 p.m. on WTAE Channel 4, followed by Steelers vs. Broncos

By constantly reminding that the Broncos (6-1) are playing better statistically than the Steelers (5-2) are, Tomlin is trying to motivate both his offense and his defense. He wants his offense determined to prove it can move the ball in Denver, and his defense mad that it's no longer No. 1.

"They've put in a very aggressive style of defense," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "They changed to a system very much like ours and Baltimore's. They've got the personnel to run it right now."

The Steelers were the NFL's best defense statistically the last two seasons, but they're No. 8 this season. They're No. 1 against the run, but are 16th against the pass, which is dragging down their overall ranking.

"When you prepare for a team like this, it's like playing a division team, like a Baltimore," safety Troy Polamalu said. "It's always defense challenging defense. It's an important goal in every game for us: As a defense, we always want to outplay the other defense."

The Broncos didn't do that during a 30-7 loss Sunday to Baltimore, which allows Tomlin to also sell this to his players: The Broncos are determined not to have another letdown in a game that potentially could prove important when AFC playoff seeding is determined.

"I just think the Denver Broncos ran into a buzzsaw," Tomlin said.

What the Steelers' defense might run into is a Broncos' offense that looks much different than it did against Baltimore.

When Broncos coach Josh McDaniels was an assistant with New England, the Patriots had success against Pittsburgh with spread-type formations that forced Polamalu to play deep coverage and didn't allow the Steelers to blitz as much.

The Broncos had trouble pass protecting for Kyle Orton against Baltimore, and the Steelers are capable of bringing the same kind of pressure. If the Broncos spread it out at times, Orton can get rid of the ball quicker and perhaps lessen the intensity of the Steelers' pass rush.

"He doesn't take sacks," Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said of Orton, the former Bears quarterback. "He doesn't throw interceptions. He's very good at getting the right play. He's a veteran, and you're not going to confuse him."

Linebacker James Harrison believes the Steelers will be ready for whatever the Broncos do.

"It's really whatever coach LeBeau feels works for that game, for that opponent," Harrison said. "Some games we might rush a little more and there are quarters and games where we might not blitz at all. That's part of being a linebacker in coach LeBeau's defense. Rush the passer and drop into coverage, that's part of the whole package."

Just as Orton must remain patient and wait to take advantage of whatever the Steelers give him, Roethlisberger understands he can't be too eager to go downfield with safety Brian Dawkins and cornerback Champ Bailey waiting to make plays.

While Roethlisberger has been the NFL's most-sacked quarterback since entering the NFL in 2004, his ability to improvise when his pass protection breaks down has repeatedly created big plays. Roethlisberger also has been successful running the no-huddle, which the Ravens used on 31 plays against Denver.

"It changes the tempo, it keeps defenses on their heels," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "It's a matter of wanting to get into a speeded-up tempo. We hop into it to try to get some things going. Will we use it? I don't know. But we have it -- every week, every game, the package is in."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,826 Times in 2,092 Posts
Default Re: Tomlin Motivates Steelers With 'Denver's No. 1' Message

according to chad johnson, 'no matter what the statistics say", the baltimore ravens are the best defense in the world.

he thought so much of them, he sent ray lewis and others a bar of deoderant to cover up their stink.

im pretty sure mike tomlin/dick lebeau doesnt need fed ex or ups to deliver their message.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Denver's new wrinkle on D
TEXT SIZE Increase text size Decrease text size
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...nkle-on-d.html
Friday November 6, 2009 12:12 AM

PITTSBURGH — When it comes to defense in the National Football League, there’s been a changing of the guard.

At the midway point of the season, it’s the defenders from Denver who rank No. 1.

“They’re the No. 1 defense in the world,” Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. “That’s what we’ve heard Coach (Mike) Tomlin say 1,000 times already this week.”

Tomlin has been known to exaggerate when talking about the Steelers’ next opponent. Remember, he called Minnesota running back Adrian Peterson “the best football player in the world” two weeks ago, yet the Steelers limited him to 69 yards.

So Tomlin tagging the Broncos’ defense the “best in the world” is a bit premature.

However, there’s no denying that Denver’s impressive 6-1 record has been dramatically impacted by its defense.

One of the first things 33-year-old head coach Josh McDaniels did when he got the job was hire Mike Nolan as his defensive coordinator. Nolan, the head coach of the San Francisco 49ers the past four years, immediately scrapped the 4-3 defense used in the Mike Shanahan era and replaced it with a 3-4 like the one used by the Steelers.

The Broncos then cleaned house personnel-wise.

The defense which will line up against the Steelers (5-2) on Monday night at Invesco Field at Mile High includes only three starters who were first-stringers last year. They are outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil, who’s making the switch from defensive end, inside linebacker D.J. Williams and cornerback Champ Bailey.

“Mike (Nolan) has done a tremendous job with a lot of new faces,” Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. “They have a lot of good players. The chemistry is obviously there. They present a heck of a challenge.”
Advertisement

Among the new faces signed via free agency are former San Francisco 49ers defensive lineman Ronald Fields, former Cleveland Browns inside linebacker Andra Davis and three starters in the secondary — cornerback Andre Goodman and safety Renaldo Hill, both who played for the Miami Dolphins last year, and former Philadelphia Eagles safety Brian Dawkins, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection.

“They play a very aggressive style of defense,” Arians said. “It’s a system very much like ours. They’ve got the personnel to do it.”

Last year, when the Steelers’ defense was ranked No. 1 for the third time in the last five seasons, outside linebacker James Harrison was the main man. Harrison set a franchise record with 16 sacks en route to earning defensive player of the year honors.

Dumervil, who also wears the same No. 92 jersey number that Harrison does, has spearheaded the Denver defense’s turnaround this year. Dumervil is second in the league with 10 sacks.

“They’re getting quality contributions from a lot guys on every level … not only from guys like Brian Dawkins and Elvis Dumervil,” Tomlin said. “They’re getting quality play from a lot of people. That’s what it takes to play great defense.”

Last week, the Broncos lost for the first time, 30-7 in Baltimore. In that game, it was the Ravens who had the best defense on the field.

Monday night the Denver defense hopes to outshine the highly regarded defense from Pittsburgh.

“Those defenses (Baltimore and Pittsburgh) have been good for decades,” Dumervil said. “They have the reputation, and they’ve earned it. We’re trying to get to that level. We have a long way to go, but we’re working hard to get there.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Frankly, I don't give a rat's patoot about rankings. The Steelers know they've got a damned good D no matter where the rankings place them and they are also now smart enough to know that no game is a "gimmie", as they found that out the hard way earlier in the season. As long as they can keep Marshall and Royal in check and not give them a lot of open field, plus play 60 minutes of football, our D will be just fine against the Broncs.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

i hope they utilize miller and moore.

dumervil needs to accounted for.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

The number one thing I like about Tomlin is he's never at a loss for words. Number two is he tells it like it is. (on paper this time) but Denver does have a good D. Just not as good as ours is capable of being. Which I think we'll see our best D effort on Monday night. Special teams is what concerns me. If we don't give up any big run backs we win. I look for Orton to dump off a lot. They may drive up and down the field as long as we hold them to field goals.
I still say and I'm standing by my prediction.
Steelers-17 ( 6 0f this will be by Logan)
Broncos-9
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Steelers defense is way too soft underneath and a huge drain on the defense. Exposing us to mental collapses late.
Arians' poor play calling is going to cost us. He's been lucky early with an easy schedule against weak opponents.
Roethlisbergers' accuracy(or lack there of) on deep routes will be exposed against the ravens and broncos.
Champ Bailey is the most underrated corner in the league. I could see him having a HOF type game Monday night.
Although, Wallace has been great, he's still a rookie. I wouldn't be surprised if he succumbed to the pressure of MNF.
Stephen Logan was a complete waste of a roster spot. The 5 additional yards he might provide costs us team depth.
My apologies if this seems harsh it just seems time for us to stop being complete homers about version 2009.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

denver just signed ty law and he could suit up and play for the broncos monday nite also... i think it will be a very good game, both defenses are great. i doubt it will be a high scoring game if both teams defenses come to play.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
Steelers defense is way too soft underneath and a huge drain on the defense. Exposing us to mental collapses late.
Arians' poor play calling is going to cost us. He's been lucky early with an easy schedule against weak opponents.
Roethlisbergers' accuracy(or lack there of) on deep routes will be exposed against the ravens and broncos.
Champ Bailey is the most underrated corner in the league. I could see him having a HOF type game Monday night.
Although, Wallace has been great, he's still a rookie. I wouldn't be surprised if he succumbed to the pressure of MNF.
Stephen Logan was a complete waste of a roster spot. The 5 additional yards he might provide costs us team depth.
My apologies if this seems harsh it just seems time for us to stop being complete homers about version 2009.
LET ME GUESS. YOU LIVE IN DENVER BUT YOU CALL YOURSELF A STEELER FAN>(wink wink)
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
LET ME GUESS. YOU LIVE IN DENVER BUT YOU CALL YOURSELF A STEELER FAN>(wink wink)
Swing and a miss
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote