Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Woodley's play validates hype

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_651986.html#

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Woodley's play validates hype

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, November 7, 2009

One by one, LaMarr Woodley took note of the players selected ahead of him in the 2007 NFL Draft.

Gaines Adams, Jamaal Anderson, Adam Carriker, Jarvis Moss and Anthony Spencer -- Woodley still doesn't understand why he was the sixth defensive end taken.

"Everybody that got drafted in front of me, I'm doing better than them. Not being ****y, that's just the way it is," said Woodley, the Steelers' second-round pick two years ago who was the 46th overall selection.

Woodley, whose foot speed was questioned coming out of Michigan, made the seamless transition from college defensive end to NFL outside linebacker.

Woodley has 17 1/2 career sacks in 35 career games, or 1/2 sack per game. He established a league record with two sacks in each of his four postseason games.

This season, Woodley has only two sacks, but he's out to prove he isn't a one-dimensional defender. He has 25 tackles to go along with nine quarterback pressures, three passes defended and one fumble recovery.

Woodley's 77-yard touchdown return of a Brett Favre fumble not only aided the Steelers' 27-17 win over Minnesota, but it may have doused once and for all the talk of him being too slow to play linebacker at 6-foot-2 and 272 pounds.

"You see me drop back into coverage and cover receivers. Bat down balls. I even have an interception. I think all those questions kind of went away last year," said Woodley, who's scheduled to make his 23rd career start Monday night against the Denver Broncos.

"The only team that really looked at me as a defensive end coming out of college was the Tennessee Titans. Every other team was, 'Can you play outside linebacker?'

"I'm not going to run the fastest 40 time because it has nothing to do with being a football player in my eyes. I won every award possible for a defensive lineman (Lombardi, Ted Hendricks, Chevy Defensive Player of the Year). It just goes to show what I did in college wasn't a joke."

Woodley has more career sacks than four of the defensive ends drafted before him, combined -- Anderson, Carriker, Moss and Spencer. Adams, the No. 4 overall pick who was traded to Chicago this season, has 13 1/2 career sacks.

"I don't downplay them; I'm on a good team," Woodley said. "I'm playing at a high level now with a good group of guys."

Woodley's touchdown return was a total team effort as he followed a convoy of blockers to the end zone. It was his second career fumble return for a touchdown.

"When I picked up the ball, no one was there. So, I turned sideways, tried to keep my momentum going forward and made sure I had the ball," Woodley said. "Coming out of college, I didn't run a 4.5, 4.6 40. I ran a 4.7. Everything is based on 40-time. What is a defensive lineman doing running the 40? I ain't no track guy. I'm a football player. I just saw that (touchdown) run as, 'Finally, LaMarr made a big play. He might not be getting the sacks this year, but he made a great play.'"

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,935 Times in 1,667 Posts
Default Re: Woodley's play validates hype

Quote:
Not being ****y, that's just the way it is," said Woodley,
sounds c*cky to me...

Quote:
"I don't downplay them; I'm on a good team,"
exactly...there's noway of saying that any of those other guys wouldn't have had the same success with the steelers. ... but i'm pretty sure woodley wouldn't have half the sacks he does if he played DE for tampa,atlanta,st louis or denver....3-4 olb'ers are usually among the sack leaders.

Quote:
What is a defensive lineman doing running the 40?
you answered your own question lammar....
Quote:
Every other team was, 'Can you play outside linebacker?'
nobody wants a lber that runs a 5.0......

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 11-06-2009 at 11:56 PM.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,323 Posts

Woodley is right. Everybody in the draft that year had Spencer ahead of him because of his speed and quickness times in the combine. None of them took into account that Woodley was the leader of a very good Michigan Defense that lead the nation in a lot of categories.

He may not have had the combine stats to say he was better than Gaines Adams or Anthony Spencer, but his tape definately said he was a 1st round pick. I thought he would be a good Steeler picked in the 1st round around 20, but glad we got him in the 2nd because of a poor combine showing. The guy is a perfect Steelers OLB.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
chucoblack&gold
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9467

Does anyone know the status of his contract? How many more years is he signed on for?
Old 11-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

I think he'll be resigned or signed to an extension. He's young and on the rise so we keep him around for awhile.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

All the kid did in college was make huge, game changing plays.

That's pretty much what he's done in the NFL.

But he missed a couple tackles so he's slow and fat....
Old 11-08-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,576 Times in 1,513 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucoblack&gold View Post
Does anyone know the status of his contract? How many more years is he signed on for?
I think there is one more year on his contract not for sure but he will be getting a good contract from the Steelers.