Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983
Default Pittsburgh is the best team in NFL history and you can take that to the bank

But first, a word from our sponsor.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are the only team in NFL history with 6 SB titles. That alone makes them the greatest, right? Well, not quite. Its much deeper than that.

While replying to another thread, I went through all the SB winning franchises and brought up the consistency of these different franchises over the past 40 years. No other team has been more consistent since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger than the Pittsburgh Steelers. First, the competition:

Dallas Cowboys- 5 SB titles, but 0 appearances in the 80's or 00's.

S.F. 49ers- 5 SB titles, 4 in the 80's, 1 in the 90's, but nothing during the 70's or this decade.

New England "kickball" team- recent success, first SB win in 2002, not much of a franchise before the infamous "tuck" (Brady) rule.

Raiders- 3 SB titles, but haven't won a title since 1983, no appearances during the 90's.

Washington Redskins- 3 SB titles, but 0 appearances in the 00's.

Denver Broncos- 2 SB titles, but 0 appearances in the 00's.

New York Giants- 3 SB titles, but nothing during the 70's.

Miami Dolphins- 2 SB titles, but none since 1973. 0 appearances during the 90's and 00's. No appearances since 1984-85 season.

Green Bay Packers- 3 SB titles, but no appearances during the 80's or 00's.

The Steelers are the only team in NFL history that has appeared in a SB in 4 different decades (yes, I'm being biased including the 1980 SB win against the Rams): 3 in the 70's, 1 in the 80's, 1in the 90's, 2 in the 00's. No other team can say that.

The Steelers were the first AFC team to 500 franchise wins. The Steelers have more wins (395), a better win percentage (.608), more all-pros (64), and more division titles (19) since the 1970 NFL-AFL merger than any other team. They are currently tied with the Dallas Cowboys for most playoff wins (31).

The Steelers are third in total Hall of Famers behind the Bears and Packers with 18, and that's not even counting our future hall of famers (Ben, Hines, Troy, LeBeau, Jerome, the list goes on and on and on.)

The Steelers have won a SB against a team from three different divisions: 2-1 against Dallas (NFC East), 1-0 against the Rams (NFC West), 1-0 against the Minnesota Vikings (NFC North/Central), 1-0 against the Seahawks (NFC West), and 1-0 against the Cardinals (NFC West). And just for the hell of it, we also won a SB title in Tampa Bay (NFC South stadium).

No other team has won 4 SB titles in 6 years. In fact, no other team has won Super bowls back-to-back twice.

More history you say?

The last two SB titles for the Steelers have been historic. The Steelers won SB XL as the lowest seed in NFL history. They went on the road and beat the top 3 teams in the AFC that year. THEN, they had to "go on the road again" and beat the best the NFC had to offer, the Seattle Seahawks.

If that wasn't enough, they won SB XLIII with the toughest schedule in NFL history.

They had to beat the SD Chargers twice, the Baltimore Ravens three times, then one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL, the Arizona Cardinals, ALL OF THIS, with one of the worst offensive lines in SB history and a non-existent running game.

The Steelers have the best NFL fans according to ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/previe...ory?id=3530077

The Steelers have more female fans than any another team in the NFL.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/20750560/

The Steelers have won 6 SB titles under the same ownership/family. They have only had 3 head coaches in the last 40 years. How impressive is that?

The Dallas Cowboys have had 4 since 1997.

Just look at their body of work. The Pittsburgh Steelers have been the MOST consistent team over the last 40 years.

All of this would make my Dallas Cowboy loving uncle sick to his stomach.

Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #2
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734
Default Re: Pittsburgh is the best team in NFL history and you can take that to the bank

Good read. I agree but I'm biased.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Steelboy84
Banned

Default Re: Pittsburgh is the best team in NFL history and you can take that to the bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by solardave View Post
Good read. I agree but I'm biased.
lol

Old 11-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post

The Steelers are the only team in NFL history that has appeared in a SB in 4 different decades (yes, I'm being biased including the 1980 SB win against the Rams): 3 in the 70's, 1 in the 80's, 1in the 90's, 2 in the 00's. No other team can say that.
Only place I disagree.

WHen you count the very first item, you start at 1. So when you count years, you start at the first year, or 1. 10 years then, is years 1-10. So year 10, year 20, or year 1980, are all part of that previous series. In other words, 1980 is part of the decade of the 70's.

Why is that important? Because if we can win the SB this year and next year, we will have won 4 superbowls in one decade for a second time, as the season is the 2009 season!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Steelboy84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Only place I disagree.

WHen you count the very first item, you start at 1. So when you count years, you start at the first year, or 1. 10 years then, is years 1-10. So year 10, year 20, or year 1980, are all part of that previous series. In other words, 1980 is part of the decade of the 70's.

Why is that important? Because if we can win the SB this year and next year, we will have won 4 superbowls in one decade for a second time, as the season is the 2009 season!!
Oh yea I know man. I'm just a "bit" bias. You know, just a "bit".
Old 11-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
Steelboy84
Banned

Here's another stat. The Steelers have never had a season since 1970 in which they lost less than 5 games. None.

Think of all the teams that have gone 1-15 or 2-14 or 3-13 or 4-12. Even Dallas had a 1-15 season once!!!!!!! Even Peyton Manning has had a 3-13 season!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is impressive, even with a stat like this!

Old 11-07-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Steelboy84
Banned

Since watching football in the early 90's, I realized (until 2006) just how hard it really is to get the the SB, let alone win it. I told my cousin that all I wanted to see in my life was one, just ONE Steelers SB win and I'd be content, because he saw the Steelers win all 6. He was around during that Steel Curtain era. I had to suffer through losing to SD in the AFC Championship game in 1995, losing to Dallas in the SB in 1996, losing to the Pats in 1997, beating Denver in the reg. season then losing to them in the AFC title game in 1998, then that 3 year slide from 1998-2001. All through the "Slash" era, Jim Miller, Tomczak, Tommy Maddox, losing to the Pats in 2002, getting screwed by the refs against the Titans in 2003 on that FG attempt, losing again in 2005 to the Pats after going 15-1 in the reg. season and Ben getting off to a great start in his career. Oh yea, I suffered.

Then the Steelers gave me another SB win 3 yrs later.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Yea that all might be true........but......this year is the one that counts this year........And that is the most important thing to know..........How many pats on the back do ya need for you ego?............All this jazz is the same as all the jazz that surrounds the patriots now..........The best team boo hoo........You gotta win in 09...... Were 5-2........Gotta win Monday......
Old 11-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #9
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Let's get a little grasp on reality here, as you are basically parlaying almost 40 years of success into "best team in NFL history" of a League that is conducting it's 90th season of operation:
this is my 42nd season of following 'em Stillers, and while I am a big a fan as anybody, I'm not foolish-enough to pass-judgement of 90 years over a select 40 seasons favoring a single franchise.

* By the time 'em Stillers qualified for their 1st-ever play-off appearence in 1972, the Green Bay Packers had won an even-dozen titles, in '29, 30, '31 (these first 3 were before 'em Stillers even joined the League), '36, '39, '44, then reeled-off 5 in 7 years in the Sixties, in '61, '62, '65, '66, '67, then in '96:
had the NFL-AFL World Championship Game been instituted when the AFL was born, can anybody doubt that the Pack would've won the Super Bowls after '61, '62, & '65, too?

* The Chicago Bears have won 7 Championships, in '1933, '40, '41, '43, '46, '63, and in '85, and their founder was influential in the League forming, then surviving, in it's formative years

* In addition to their 3 Lombardi Trophies, the New York Giants won another 3 Championships in the days before the Super Bowl, in '34, '38, and '56, and played in another 11 Championship Games in-which they lost ('33, '35, '39, '41, '44, '46, '58, '59, '61, '62, and '63):
the only decade in-which they didn't play for a Championship at-least once were the 1970s, a truly rough patch for that franchise

* when the Rams left Cleveland after the '45 season, and nobody wanted to place an NFL team in that city, Paul Brown formed a team, agreeing to play in the newly-formed All American Football Conference:
they lost a total of 4 games between 1946 & 1949, and won every AAFC title ever contested, with Brown offering 'challenges' to NFL teams that were never accepted.

Upon the AAFC folding after '49, the Browns were accepted into the NFL, and scheduled to play their first-ever League game against the defending Champions from Philthadelphia in the City of Muggerly-Thugs, maybe to teach the upstarts a lesson:
Cleveland won that game 35-10, passing for 448 yards, and following that game, Philthadelphia Coach Greasy Neale said Cleveland couldn't beat the Eagles by running the ball, so when they played again in December, Paul Brown instructed his team to not throw a single forward pass, and they still won that game 9-2, and eventually the NFL Championship in their first season of play

One reason 'em Stillers, who entered the League in 1933, are the first AFC team to win 500 games is because the 10 AFL teams that formed the bulk of the 'original' 13 AFC teams have only played since 1960 (i.e. - they'd need to average 10 wins every year since their inception), while the other teams that swapped Conferences (Cleveland & Baltimore) began playing in 1950, meaning 'em Stillers had a 17 year advantage over them, too:
just tryin' to put this into some rational context.

I dug-up these facts from several hard-bound books I've collected about the NFL & 'em Stillers over the last 40+ years, then found this site:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/

I realize you are fairly young, enthusiastic, and a die-hard Stiller-fan, but you gotta realize that there was LOSTA footbal played before Franco Harris caught a deflected pass in December of 1972, and those organizations weren't slouches:
'greatness' didn't begin when Jaworsti & Berman came "rumblin', fumblin', stumblin' " into our living-rooms 30 years ago, hyping the now, at the expense of the League's rich & vast history.

Honestly, I didn't mean to rain on your parade.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:51 AM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote