Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-08-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551
Default Source: Holmgren on Browns' wish list

Quote:
One of the first people Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner will contact to run his team, if he hasn't contacted him already, is former Seattle Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren, according to a team source.

Holmgren is itching to return to football and the opportunity he would have in Cleveland would be an attractive one. Lerner is looking for someone to perform for the Browns the same role that vice president of football operations Bill Parcells performs for the Dolphins. The job, for the time being, is Holmgren's to lose

If Holmgren were to take it -- and there are some people who think he still would prefer to coach -- he would be returning to the Midwest, where he built his reputation as the head coach of the Green Bay Packers.

Holmgren is one of at least four names on Lerner's wish list, though he is considered the top target. The others are former New York Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi, Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay and former Packers general manager Ron Wolf.

Accorsi is a family friend of the Lerners who has made it clear that he will not take a full-time job with the Browns. Accorsi was close to Lerner's father, and the Browns owner has an emotional attachment to and great respect for Accorsi. McKay serves in the same type of role in Atlanta that he would be asked to do in Cleveland. Wolf hired Holmgren as the Packers' head coach.

Lerner will offer whoever takes the job a broad array of powers. One of the chief ones will be the ability to hire whom the person wants as his general manager, in the same way that Parcells hired Jeff Ireland as the Dolphins general manager. Even though the Browns and their former general manager George Kokinis parted ways last week, Lerner has no plans right now to do away with his head coach, Eric Mangini.

Those who have spoken with Lerner in the past week said the Browns owner is determined to stick with Mangini for the time being, giving him the time that Kokinis did not get. Kokinis spent 18 years with the Baltimore Ravens, and nine months with the Browns.

Ultimately, Lerner might not even make the final call on Mangini -- it likely will be up to the team president and general manager that he hires. They will be the ones to determine whether to keep or dispose of Mangini, who is coming under heavy criticism in the Cleveland area for leading the team to a 1-7 record with an offense that has scored one fewer touchdown this season than the New Orleans Saints defense that has six. Those who know Kokinis say he expected to be let go from Cleveland at least one month ago. The Browns even tried to get him to resign long before last week.

Kokinis had grown so disconnected to Mangini and other members of the Browns front office that the two rarely, if ever, had any contact. Kokinis grew increasingly withdrawn to the point where he looked and acted so unhappy, the Browns ordered him into counseling, according to sources.

Essentially, the two sides divorced long before it became official last week.

What's next for Kokinis depends largely on when he and the Browns will be able to resolve their contractual differences. But Kokinis has a sterling reputation around the league, and is highly respected amongst numerous front-office men. He will have no difficulty landing a job, and it's quite possible he could return to Baltimore, where he still owns a home. Many around the league believe he will be back with the Ravens.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4634879
Old 11-08-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,944 Times in 4,533 Posts
Default Re: Source: Holmgren on Browns' wish list

now that makes the most sense. MUCH more sense than bill cowher. for one, holmgren is more of a front office guy. bill cowher is all about the locker room and X's and O's.

jerome bettis also believes there is no way cowher comes out of retirement for the browns, strictly based on his tenure with the rooneys, and his loyalty, respect, and admiration of that team and family.

facing them twice a year would be too much of a media circus, plus everyone knows you dont go to cleveland to solidify a potential HOF career, unless your name is jim brown.

i gotta trust jeromes opinion over anyones on a message board who quotes used care salesmen as their source, just like last year when pat kirwan (who spends every sunday watching games with bill) all but said he would not be returning to the nfl in '09).
Old 11-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
now that makes the most sense. MUCH more sense than bill cowher. for one, holmgren is more of a front office guy. bill cowher is all about the locker room and X's and O's.

jerome bettis also believes there is no way cowher comes out of retirement for the browns, strictly based on his tenure with the rooneys, and his loyalty, respect, and admiration of that team and family.

facing them twice a year would be too much of a media circus, plus everyone knows you dont go to cleveland to solidify a potential HOF career, unless your name is jim brown.

i gotta trust jeromes opinion over anyones on a message board who quotes used care salesmen as their source, just like last year when pat kirwan (who spends every sunday watching games with bill) all but said he would not be returning to the nfl in '09).
Slighty OT, but I've got a lot of respect for Bettis, would have loved to see a guy similiar to his caliber play for my Brownies one day. Was this on "FNIA" or in a paper btw?

But, I think that the Holmgren move is solid overall, Lerner should realize that he's not going to get Cowher, Schottenheimer or Shanahan, so if a guy with Holmgren's cred. expresses a little bit of an interest, he should jump on him and not look back.

I'm even down with the idea of Gruden (who for some reason also wants a gig with the Browns) as a HC under a Cleveland team structured with Holmgren at the top. As crazy as that sounds it has the potential to work.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
tony hipchest
Supporter

bettis was on sirius radio the day after kokinus was fired.

if i were a browni, i would want holmgren in the FO and gruden as coach.

i say that, not because i am afraid of cowher coaching them, i just dont want to see him fail and tarnish his legacy if he tries to wear 2 hats.

cowher is not a front office guy. the notion that he is, is about as silly as jon gruden being a HC/coach.

a smart owner (not that i am suggesting lerner is smart) will not throw $10 mil at cowher when they can get both gruden and holmgren for $5 mil/apiece.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

The Browns could get a time machine and bring back Vince Lombardi and they would still be the Browns. They are good for a few wins every year, but are too far behind to contend for awhile.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllD View Post
The Browns could get a time machine and bring back Vince Lombardi and they would still be the Browns. They are good for a few wins every year, but are too far behind to contend for awhile.
...and bill cowher knows this better than any other coach out there on the open market.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,245 Times in 1,804 Posts

don't get your hopes to high brownie....
Quote:
Mike Holmgren Heading Back to Seattle as GM?

Don't let the title throw you off but former Seahawks head coach and GM Mike Holmgren could very well be headed back to the Pacific Northwest and the Seattle Seahawks organization.

According to a recent report from the National Football Post, Holmgren is "eyeing" the possible GM opening for the Seahawks this upcoming off season.

Current Seahawks GM Tim Ruskell is in the final year of his contract and the message is on the wall that he won't be renewed or extended, clearing the way for Holmgren to become the GM.

Rewind about a year and a half, Mike Holmgren announced to the Seahawks that he would no longer be the head coach of the Seahawks organization and that he would be retiring from football after the 2008 season.

Well the Seahawks went 4-12 in 08 and three days after the season was over all of Holmgren's belongings had been moved out of the Seahawks training facility in Renton and Jim Mora Jr. became the official head coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

Six games into the 2009 season the Seahawks are 2-4 under Mora and having the polar opposite beginning to his Seahawks career unlike he did when he was in Atlanta and went 11-5 in his first season.

What does it all mean?

Well if Mora and the Seahawks don't shape up and start winning or at least putting up a fight this season you can go to Vegas right now put your life savings on Mike Holmgren becoming the GM and Mora, Knapp, Ruskell, and many others gone after this season.

So why is Mike Holmgren the right man to lead the Seahawks back to the Super Bowl, or at least mold the team as GM?

Well let's take a look at Holmgren's resume when he was the Seahawks GM from 1999-2002.

Holmgren built the core of the dominant super bowl team of 2005 by drafting RB Shaun Alexander ('00), WR Darryl Jackson ('00), LG Steve Hutchinson ('01), DT Rocky Bernard ('02), TE Jeremy Stevens ('02), and CB Ken Lucas ('01), among other great draft selections.

Holmgren's headline transaction came in 2001 when Holmgren traded for Brett Favre's backup, Matt Hasselbeck.

Holmgren gave up the Seahawks first round pick (10th overall) and a third round pick to Green Bay in exchange for the Packers first round pick (17th overall) and QB Matt Hasselbeck.

Holmgren knew exactly what he was getting in the young Hasselbeck. Holmgren was the head coach of the Packers when he drafted Hasselbeck in the sixth round of the 1998 draft.

Still to this day Matt Hasselbeck is the quarterback of the Seattle Seahawks and he is the only QB in franchise history to take the Seahawks to the super bowl.

Many consider Hasselbeck to be one of, if not the best quarterback in Seahawks history so Holmgren made the right decision by trading for the third string quarterback.

Mike Holmgren was and still is the biggest icon in Seahawks history along with Steve Largent and Warren Moon as well as a few more players.

Mike Holmgren built the best team in Seahawks history and led the team he created to the Super Bowl (40) where even though they lost it was still the single greatest season in Seahawks history.

Now Holmgren is not interested in becoming a head coach but he is foaming at the mouth to become the Seattle Seahawks EVP and GM. All signs point to him getting his wish and saving this once proud franchise.

Holmgren did it before form '99-'02 and there is no reason to think that he couldn’t do it one more time.

Except this time Holmgren will be a lot more familiar with the franchise and many players on the current roster.

Also Holmgren will have a lot more pieces to work with and not so many pieces to add in his "soon to be" second coming as the Seattle Seahawks GM.

Big Mike could quite possibly be heading back to the Pacific Northwest to become the Seattle Seahawks EVP and GM after the 2009 season concludes.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-seattle-as-gm
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Even Belichick couldnt help the Browns as head coach. Can Holmgren pull off the unthinkable?
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

if Chumley does go to Cleveland, would he whine & complain twice a year, after losing to 'em Stillers?

Old 11-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
if Chumley does go to Cleveland, would he whine & complain twice a year, after losing to 'em Stillers?

Just what I was thinking. It was bad enough after the super bowl. Imagine how much he'd whine and moan if we kicked his butt twice a year. I never thought he was that great of a coach anyway. What don't the Clowns go after a young assistant? Of they won't because they are the Clowns.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote