Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
redundantman
Water Boy

Member Number: 2354
Default Redundant Thoughts 2009 Week 9 - @ Broncos

1. I have to get this off my chest. Bear with me a moment:
All right Donko fans get over it! Your team was overachieving. Your coach is a snot-nosed punk. Your defense has been completely exposed and Kyle Orton is your QB! What did you expect? KYLE ORTON?! And your punter is Mitch Berger? … who was presumably brought in for his ability to “pin teams deep”?! Yeah you’re right! This Kool-Aid is rather tasty!!!1

The Flavor-of-the-month has now changed and you can go back to being the mediocre also-ran that we all knew you’d be at the beginning of this season. Mark my words: the Broncos are done this year.
2. I just get so tired of the insipid band-wagonning that goes on in sports media circles. I positively LOVED it when Steve Young picked against us. Nothing could have made me feel better about this game
3. I love that stupid MNF intro and theme song. It has the perfect balance of over-the-top schlock and sincerity.

4. Argyle end zone?
GIS for “argyle sucks”
[IMG]http://c2.api.ning.com/files/s3WQmEKUlQ49BKo*pTW167DK9TJTatP3jx77jDvFNSdZBJDPOA JQkYyXCdQUIot4tPchW6nGEQPFKdKrRMgGwLtXtYSlF4aj/lifesshort.jpg[/IMG]

5. The Broncos opening drive was typical of the Steelers last year. The opponent’s offense takes the field and tends to move down it with ease. I knew that would be the last we’d see of effective Broncos offense (at least until the fourth quarter). DLB would adjust and shut them down. Come on man, it’s Kyle Orton.

6. And the Steelers opening offensive drive was typical of an Arians led offense.

7. Jimmy Football …
[IMG]http://prettyboring.com/files/images/billy_mays_shut_your_*****_mouth.jpg[/IMG]
8. Kudos to Gruden owning up to sounding like a doofus when Orton got picked exactly one play after Gruden was running his mouth about how sharp Orton was looking.

9. According to the ESPN tools Josh McDaniel’s first challenge was lost because the Steeler defender initiated contact before the receiver got their second foot down … I wonder if they got that right.

10. In the first half the Broncos have a 4th and 5 that they try to convert. And they do. But they hold when they do. And of course the ubiquitous, “I’ve seen worse not called” color commentary immediately rears its stupid head.

11. At the end of the half did you notice how inept the Broncos 2 minute offense was?

12. The Steelers offense ran 18 plays in the first half. They did nothing. They were dominated in time of possession and I was never really worried ... other than that nagging doubt about the fourth quarter. Would the Steelers’ defense show up in the second half?

13. Proof that ESPN’s MNF Analysts are clueless #1: At the half Gruden was commenting on how the second half will be exactly like the first half … all defense.

14. Proof that ESPN’s MNF Analysts are clueless #2: Early in the second half Tirico commented that it had been a while since the Steelers “pass happy offense” was held in check.

15. Kemoeatu got beat like a drum on that sack fumble for 6. But otherwise did you notice how well the Oline played int his game? AS I recall the first false start occurred at 5:43 to go in the 4th quarter.

16. Now ladies and gentlemen, THAT is how you respond to the Broncos cheap score. 4 plays, 80 yards, 2 minutes, Big Ben.

17. Did you hear that Josh Reed kicked the extra point after the TD? He must be Jeff’s brother.

18. On the next Steelers possession Mitch Berger had them pinned deep. My immediately response was: Good, now the Steelers will drive for 96 yards for a TD.

19. Yeah yeah, Ben’s red zone INT (his first in over two years) was bad but at that point who really cared? The Broncos defense had the constitution of wet Kleenex. They couldn’t stop anyone. Just give Ben the ball at the end of the game and the Steelers were going to win.

20. And Mitch Berger comes up big with a 24 yard punt. Really Donko fans? … you REALLY thought you were going to win? That’s just so cute how deluded you were! That’s just adorable! Awww …

21. Hey a new Bon Jovi album. My wife was quoted as saying, “Didn’t they start playing country music or something?”

22. Huge players of the game: Ben, Rashard, Troy and … Tyrone Carter?

23. Signs you are going to lose a football game #10: Your coach uses his last challenge to preserve 16 yards on a presumed QB forward pass.

24. Man, did that game take forever to end or what? The outcome was long decided but the Steelers had trouble keeping the clock moving. A rap on the knuckles for both Mendenhall and Ward … stay in bounds when the Steelers are up at the end of the game.

25. Proof that ESPN’s MNF Analysts are clueless #3: Gruden saying at the end of the game how he loves the way the Steelers put teams away in the second half.

26. Gotta pick on Champ “Hurdle impersonator” Bailey, the Broncos awesome “shut-down corner getting vaulted by Ward at the end of the game.

27. If you look at the NFL who do you believe in? The Saints? Come on man … it’s the Saints (let’s give them some respect when they earn it). The Patriots … are old. The Colts … banged up. The Bengals … yeah right. The Cowboys … two words for you: Tony Romo. The “elite” teams in the NFL have their obvious flaws. How can you not feel good about the Steelers chances this year?

28. A warning to the Steelers and us fans: the Steelers just beat a team that had started believing its press clippings. They need to forget it and get on with taking the division back from the paper Bengals. In the post game comments Trent Dilfer was asked about the Steelers and the lack of attention they are receiving. Hey, the Steelers will never get the kind of attention that Drew Brees, Payton Manning or Tom Brady led teams will get. It’s a fact of life.
redundantman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Redundant Thoughts 2009 Week 9 - @ Broncos

I enjoyed reading your analysis and pretty much agree with everything except:

Quote:
6. And the Steelers opening offensive drive was typical of an Arians led offense.
I thought BA called a beautiful game (with a little help from Ben with his no-hud). It was the most balanced game I've seen the Steelers play all season. BA, like most OC's, had to see what was going to work early on and improvise - which he did beautifully. I give BA all the credit in the world.

Quote:
27. If you look at the NFL who do you believe in? The Saints? Come on man … it’s the Saints (let’s give them some respect when they earn it).
I'm one to never discount any team in the league, but c'mon - the Saints have been playing lights out, particularly their O. I've said it the last couple of years and I'm going to say it again - if the Saints had a decent D, they'd have made a Super Bowl run or two the past two seasons.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #3
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Good read as always, redundantman!

And I agree with you re: Jimmy Football! I absolutely LOATHE those commercials! I wish I would jump into the TV and b-slap that obnoxious idiot! (yes, I know he's an actor doing a parody of those insipid infomercials, but he's so believable it justs grates me).
Old 11-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
redundantman
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I enjoyed reading your analysis and pretty much agree with everything except:

I thought BA called a beautiful game (with a little help from Ben with his no-hud). It was the most balanced game I've seen the Steelers play all season. BA, like most OC's, had to see what was going to work early on and improvise - which he did beautifully. I give BA all the credit in the world.

I'm one to never discount any team in the league, but c'mon - the Saints have been playing lights out, particularly their O. I've said it the last couple of years and I'm going to say it again - if the Saints had a decent D, they'd have made a Super Bowl run or two the past two seasons.
I didn't say BA called a bad game I just said that I thought the opening drive was typical BA. And for the record I am a fan of Arians. He is underrated.

And there is a reason the Saints have had to come from behind the last two weeks. Does two weeks a trend make?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by redundantman View Post
I didn't say BA called a bad game I just said that I thought the opening drive was typical BA. And for the record I am a fan of Arians. He is underrated.

Quote:
And there is a reason the Saints have had to come from behind the last two weeks. Does two weeks a trend make?
No matter what the reason, good teams find a way to win and that is exactly what the Saints have done. Their D is very suspect, but their O has been firing on all cylinders.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
redundantman
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

No matter what the reason, good teams find a way to win and that is exactly what the Saints have done. Their D is very suspect, but their O has been firing on all cylinders.
Clearly you have a point. But at the end of this year I'm willing to bet that we'll be talking about how sad it was that the Saints peaked too early.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #7
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Attrition is starting to get the Saints

They have lost 2 of their D-line starters (one for the rest of the season, one for 4-6 wks) and Fujita---who is a great LB (I'm not sure how long he's out; I'll have to check on that one)
Old 11-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
SteelersMomma
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15023

Well I was at the game so I didn't see the announcer point of views. I will have to watch it from my tivo tonight to see what all they were saying.
I will say this much is the bronco fans talked so much trash at the game it was hilarious. When there was 10 mins left on the clock and they realized they lost the game they all started pouting and leaving. Of course all the steelers fans around me started nit picking like the bronco fans did the whole game.
The bronco fans talk so much crap to every team they play against when every year they have a mid season melt down.
SteelersMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

The refs need glasses too. On the penalty in the back on Memo's punt return, the ref kept referring to it as "the intercepting team"???? WTF?? The call was bogus too.

Harrison got his one holding call although Clint Eastwood had a cleaner neck in "Hang Em' High".

Steelers covered the spread two weeks in a row, we're cookin' with gas!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #10
redundantman
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllD View Post
The refs need glasses too. On the penalty in the back on Memo's punt return, the ref kept referring to it as "the intercepting team"???? WTF?? The call was bogus too.

Harrison got his one holding call although Clint Eastwood had a cleaner neck in "Hang Em' High".

Steelers covered the spread two weeks in a row, we're cookin' with gas!
Good catch. Forgot to mention the "intercepting team" getting the penalty on a kick ..