Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Hall of Fame- Cowher

There was some HOF talk on here last week about current Steelers possibility of making it. Troy, Ben, and Hines were the top picks to make it.
Bettis was also a lock by most people's opinion to get in.

Does Cowher make it?
I think his overall win % is one of the best ever. He basically won 2/3rds of his games during his career, which is phenominal. He had a bad rap for not winning the big game, but he finally did get his ring. And his overall playoff record ended up not being as bad because of that 4 game run in 05. I think he was 1 game over .500. Considering playoff teams are the best teams, .500 or better is good.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,203 Times in 442 Posts
Default Re: Hall of Fame- Cowher

He'll get in eventually based on his current numbers, but unfortunately, he "only" won one SB and because of that, he will have to wait a while, assuming he doesn't add to that total at some point. Tom Flores got two with the Raiders in the early '80s, and I've never heard him referred to as a great coach.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Bill will get in. He was very successful as a HC for a high profile team for many years. Not to mention, his early 90's Steelers teams changed the way that many teams play defense now with all the zone bilitzes. His personality and "growing" legend as a desired HC won't hurt him either. He's not a first ballot guy, but he will get in.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I love the guy, but I honestly don't see anything that distinguishes him from a couple dozen other successful coaches that didn't make it to the Hall. Winning one championship doesn't guarantee anything, and while coaching for 15 years with one team is impressive by today's standards, it isn't exactly unheard of in the history of the league.

They seem to reserve the HOF for coaches who did something that made an overall contribution to the game, and while Cowher was a good coach, I don't know if that counts by itself.