Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Pittsky
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10024
Default Willie Parker

Am i the only one that feel's bad for him right now? Everytime i see him on the sidelines looking on while mendi steals his job i feel horrible...I can't help but wonder if we would have stuck it out with willie he would be getting better as our oline is getting better and more confident...then again i think, hey, he had his chances...i'm not implying i think he is DONE or anything, but his chances are diminishing every 100+ game mendi puts up...anybody?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516
Default Re: Willie Parker

I read last week that he said homself that he is still hurt. I actually was thinking the same thing last night but, he didn't even see 1 play so I'm thinking he is still hurt. Either way, it's probably his last year in Pittsburgh so thank you for the great service Willie!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Carolina Steelers
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 3009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsky View Post
Am i the only one that feel's bad for him right now? Everytime i see him on the sidelines looking on while mendi steals his job i feel horrible...I can't help but wonder if we would have stuck it out with willie he would be getting better as our oline is getting better and more confident...then again i think, hey, he had his chances...i'm not implying i think he is DONE or anything, but his chances are diminishing every 100+ game mendi puts up...anybody?
I see were ur coming from a player shouldn't lose is job because of injury I do feel a little bad though I watched him play for Clinton High School were he would run all over us, but Mendy is like 11 in the lg in rushing plus Willie is looking for a contract its just the nature of the business FWP will be gone after this yr. unless he takes less money I still think he could be a starter somewhere in the NFL.
Carolina Steelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

He helped us win two SB's....so I have good feelings for Parker. He's a class act. He's also a RB in the NFL. They don't last long and when they go down hill it's usually quick to the bottom. I want the best player on the field and with out a doubt it's Mendenhall. I wouldn't mind seeing Parker sign for back up $ and stick around for a few more years. I doubt that will happen though...and if it doesn't I won't shed a tear. He was a role player for this team....he fit a need and at times he did it well. Good luck to him were ever he ends up.

I do think we'll need him before this season is over though. Odds are Mendy is going to miss a game or two....maybe it's only quarter or two...but either way I think by the time this season is over Parker will be asked to step in and help win a game or two.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
sharkweek
Head Coach

Member Number: 14205

Yeah, I feel bad for him. I also felt bad for Old Yeller when he was shot, but he had to be put down.

There's always hope that stays at discount as a change of pace RB.
sharkweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

MATTHEW BURGLUND: Parker's finale fast approaching
http://online.indianagazette.com/art...s/10027903.txt

Published: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 11:45 AM EST

Thoughts that crossed my mind during last night's game against the Denver Broncos:

n Although the Steelers haven't said so, Willie Parker's days in Pittsburgh are numbered.

When Rashard Mendenhall rushed for 155 yards on only 22 carries in last night's 28-10 win, he might as well have bought Fast Willie a ticket out of town.

Parker will be a free agent when the season ends, and you can bet your periogies that the Steelers won't make much of an effort - if any at all - to keep Parker on the roster.

It's an over-used cliche to say the NFL is a ``What have you done for me lately?'' league, but it sure explains how Parker has gone from a Super Bowl star to an afterthought in only a couple seasons.

What has Parker done for the Steelers lately?

Nothing.

He didn't touch the ball last night, and he has only eight carries in the Steelers' last five games (two of which he didn't play in). All the while, Mendenhall has seen his star rise, and last night he slashed his way through what was supposed to be a tough Denver defense for an average of 7.0 yards per carry.

It's true Parker has injury issues that have kept him from being fully productive, but by now it's clear he has lost his starting job, and in a few months he will have lost his roster spot.

It's Mendenhall's show and Parker is just there to watch.

If you listen to the folks on ESPN, who supposedly know what they're talking about, you'd have thought the strength of the Broncos' defense was its experienced secondary, with 30-somethings Champ Bailey, Brian Dawkins and Ty Law patrolling the field.

Let's ask Ben Roethlisberger how good that group is.

Last night he tore it up, completing one open pass after another, to the tune of a 21-for-29 night.

One game does not make a weakness, but if I was a head coach preparing to play Denver, I'd put a heavy dose of the passing game into the game plan.

n It's taken him long enough, but Max Starks has finally become one of the better left tackles in the NFL. I'd bet Denver's Elvis Dumervil had to introduce himself to Roethlisberger after the game because the two rarely got close to each other, thanks to Starks.

The steal of the 2009 NFL draft? Mike Wallace.

I hate to say it because it indicts an IUP guy, but the Steelers' special teams need some help.

It's by either miracle or sheer luck that Denver did not return a punt or a kickoff for a touchdown, and Stefan Logan looks no better than an overweight Najeh Davenport when he returns kickoffs.

He just looks thinner

It's clear special teams coach Bob Ligashesky (IUP '85) has some work to do, and Steelers Nation better hope it happens soon.

n If Larry Johnson has anything left in the tank, he'd be a good fit with the Steelers.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkweek View Post
Yeah, I feel bad for him. I also felt bad for Old Yeller when he was shot, but he had to be put down.
There's always hope that stays at discount as a change of pace RB.

tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

I kinda feel bad for Willie, but it was definitely time to move on. He isn't the back that he used to be, but that's what happens all too often with RBs. It's a changing of the guard year for NFL runningbacks... Eddgerin James, LT and Willie are pretty much on their way out. They might have a season or two left in a secondary role, but that's probably the best they can hope for.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

It's hard to view this article as a respectable piece of journalism when it's written by a guy who said Larry Johnson would be a good fit for the Steelers.. LOL
Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:57 AM   #10
redst3
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 480

FWP was great for us. He was never the same after he broke his leg.