Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Not pretty, just Ben: QB's quiet confidence powering Steelers

Not pretty, just Ben: QB's quiet confidence powering Steelers
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...r_N.htm?csp=34
By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY
DENVER — Ben Roethlisberger digs Bob Marley. This much was evident on Monday night, as the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback accented his blue jeans with an oversized T-shirt that blared with a huge image of the late, dreadlocked reggae legend.

The casual look was a statement of sorts, Roethlisberger's way of showing that he doesn't want to be anybody's GQ model, despite having such a high-profile job.

"People ask, 'Why aren't you dressed up?' " he said on his way out of the locker room after throwing for three touchdowns in the Steelers' 28-10 dismantling of the Denver Broncos. "Well, most of the people in Pittsburgh, they don't wear suits to work. I try to represent the city and the people. I've never been a flashy guy. I'm just me."

Roethlisberger made an even bigger statement on the football field in helping the Steelers (6-2) win a fifth consecutive game. He demonstrated that, two Super Bowl rings and all, he keeps getting better with experience.

It wasn't a perfect game. He fumbled while taking a lick from Broncos defensive end Kenny Peterson, which rookie Robert Ayers returned 54 yards for Denver's only touchdown. He threw an interception in the red zone, when a pass to Hines Ward sailed away at the goal line.

But it was plenty good. Roethlisberger's first 3-yard touchdown toss to Ward, crossing in the back of the end zone in the third quarter, was a pinpoint throw that floated just above the reach of a linebacker. It capped a quick, four-play, 80-yard drive that included a 35-yard laser to Santonio Holmes.

That sequence was Roethlisberger's no-sweat response to the fumble.

"That's what's so special about him," said Ward. "He doesn't get rattled too easily."

Roethlisberger also exhibited his usual touch while buying time and throwing on the run, connecting on a 25-yard touchdown to rookie Mike Wallace that converted Troy Polamalu's fourth-quarter interception into the game-clinching points.

Roethlisberger, who completed 21 of 29 passes for 233 yards and had a 116.0 passer rating against Denver's No. 1-ranked defense, has never been as accurate as he is now.

At the halfway point of his sixth season, he's completed 70.6% of his throws. He entered the season with a 62.4% rate and last season — which ended with that perfect pass to Holmes in the corner of the end zone that won Super Bowl XLIII— was at 59.9%.

Roethlisberger's also on pace to throw a career-high 524 passes as the Steelers — who got a 155-yard rushing night from Rashard Mendenhall against Denver — increasingly open up the offense to ride the quarterback's big arm.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin suspects this all points to a comfort zone bolstered by time.

"He's about seen it all," Tomlin says. "He's been in just about every situation you can be in. I think that plays into his favor."

Monday night's situation was wrapped with early struggles. The opening drive ended with a sack. The next one stalled with a wide throw. Then it was a busted play and desperate fling for no gain to Heath Miller, who had blocked rather than run a route.

With the Steelers' only first-half points coming off Tyrone Carter's 48-yard interception return touchdown, they opened the second half with a no-huddle attack. It helped Roethlisberger gain the rhythm that carried him to the finish.

"I give him credit, I give our offense credit," Tomlin said. "It wasn't a fluid start for us. But he didn't blink."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Not pretty, just Ben: QB's quiet confidence powering Steelers

Quote:
"People ask, 'Why aren't you dressed up?' " he said on his way out of the locker room after throwing for three touchdowns in the Steelers' 28-10 dismantling of the Denver Broncos. "Well, most of the people in Pittsburgh, they don't wear suits to work. I try to represent the city and the people. I've never been a flashy guy. I'm just me."
Besides, who wants to wear a monkey suit for a good 3-to-4-hour flight? Airplanes are uncomfortable as it is without having to dress up.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
SteelC7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14419

wat a QB, were so lucky to have him, imagine if any of those first 10 teams in the draft got him, i dont think hed have the same success up to this point, but we also wouldnt have won 2 super bowls, so it worked out for the steelers and ben
SteelC7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #4
NEPAsteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11528

I wouldn't want any other QB leading the Steelers right now!
NEPAsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
I wouldn't want any other QB leading the Steelers right now!

Hear, here!!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057

Agreed. I don't care if he's the "best" quarterback in the league - let the idiots at ESPN gush over Manning and Brady all they want - I'm glad he's our quarterback and I wouldn't want anyone else to be.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #7
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Besides, who wants to wear a monkey suit for a good 3-to-4-hour flight? Airplanes are uncomfortable as it is without having to dress up.
you are absolutely correct. i think only tom brady is dumb enough to wear a suit on an airplane across the atlantic..lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
iloveben7
Team Captain

Member Number: 3165

^haha now that was funny.

I <3 #7

My dream is to meet my HERO, Ben Roethlisberger
iloveben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Ben is an amazing QB and keeps winning. I don't think a dress code should be required for that
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote