Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066
Default Deion Sanders of the NFLN, love him or wish he'd go away?

I'm curious as to what other football fans here feel about Deion Sanders as an analyst.

Every once in awhile he will have a funny punch line that will make me laugh, but for the most part I find him annoying.

There seems to be a constant aspect to his comments and praise to players that seem to be self-serving. His primetime top ten plays on Sunday seem to constantly feature players in the league doing his trademark high-step after an interception, or offensively reaching the endzone. Seems he'll pick these highlights just because the player chose to honor him during the play, and attention-seeking players have caught on to this. Sometimes it even comes to bite a player in the ass, Dre Bly the most recent comes to mind.

He also presents himself as the "Dr. Phil" of the league and will continously point out how he has talked to, mentored, and pretty much weekly councils every player in the league via cell phone.

Am I getting this guy wrong, and need to STFU or are others getting tired of his act?

One thing I do agree with him though is his affection for Moochie. I enjoy his personality so much more.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
Angus Burgher
Team Captain

Member Number: 15057
Default Re: Deion Sanders of the NFLN, love him or wish he'd go away?

I guess you and I are the reverse. Deion, for some reason I can't quite explain, I tend to enjoy. Sure, he's a jackass and I hated him when he played on the Cowboys, but I do find him entertaining on the NFL Network, at least in small doses. And I will give him credit for being one of the only guys on that channel that throws the stats out the window at times and evaluates players in terms of wins and losses... the best example of this would be his analysis of Jay Cutler. While everyone was gushing over how he's a pro-bowler, Deion still points out that the guy hasn't won anything yet. That may seem like a very simplistic way of viewing the situation, but I think it's a valid point, especially when evaluating a quarterback. The QB is the field general of the team (or at least he should be). It's his job to pull out those last minute points when the team needs them. Face it... if you don't play fantasy football, do you really give a crap that your QB threw for 350 yards if the team still lost?

Now Mariucci, I can't stand. First of all, the guy looks and acts like 55-year-old toddler. That doesn't make any sense, and yet somehow, it is so. He has the most erratic speech pattern I've ever heard. He's like William Shatner on speed. I think that he has a mild case of Tourette's. Also, he made it clear throughout the first part of the season that he fantisizes about Joe Flacco when he's stroking one out. I guess Favre isn't getting it up for him as much as he used to.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066

I did catch Sander's comments on Cutler tonight, and I agree, he wasn't off. He isn't afraid to criticize a player or his performance and you do need an analyst among the panel that will point out the negatives and not one that will sugarcoat a player and what they've accomplished in a game, or a career. So I agree with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Burgher View Post
Now Mariucci, I can't stand. First of all, the guy looks and acts like 55-year-old toddler. That doesn't make any sense, and yet somehow, it is so. He has the most erratic speech pattern I've ever heard. He's like William Shatner on speed. I think that he has a mild case of Tourette's. Also, he made it clear throughout the first part of the season that he fantisizes about Joe Flacco when he's stroking one out. I guess Favre isn't getting it up for him as much as he used to.
I respectively disagree on your opinions on Mariucci though. To me he finds a way to make his points with class and compassion towards who he is analizing without being mean and disrespectful. That's why I appreciate him, he's a sweet guy, and I've never noticed a defective speech pattern ever with him. We all see and hear things differently though, so I am in no way discrediting your view point. I just see it differently.

And as far as his relationship with Favre, it's easy for us on the outside to comment and throw darts, but these people have had real life relationships with each other, unlike us the fans. It's easy to poke and prod, make fun of them, but we're on the outside. These people have real friendships and experiences with each other, where we only view them from our homes, televisions and computers. That's not something I'm going to knock because it's beyond what I personally know, unlike them.
Shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:34 AM   #4
steelwalls
Starter

Member Number: 13927

I would be ok with him there, as long as the show that Dave Brown (Old Giants QB) laying the wood on him after Deon had picked him off.

First and only time I ever seen a QB get up and celebrate after a pick

Show that before everytime he speaks and Im good.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
I'm curious as to what other football fans here feel about Deion Sanders as an analyst.
I have no problem with Deion's content...but I have the same problem with him that I have with ESPN's Stephen A. Smith.

Its in their delivery. Both sound like they are standing at the pulpit of a Southern Baptist Church giving a sermon.

I keep expecting them to take out a white hankie and dab at their foreheads while expressing their opinions.

"You KNOW that the PROBLEM...heeeyah!....with the BEARS...heeyah!!...is a LACK of discipline in the FRONT line....DO you HEAR me??...heeyah!!...IT'S a LACK of DISCIPLINE in the FRONT LINE"!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

I can't stand to listen to him. Same goes for Michael Irvin, Teddy Brewski, Marshall Faulk, Steve Young, Ron Jawarski and the worst of them all Shannon Sharp.

All of them can swing from my ass hair!

Old 11-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Deion is on my short list that also include Chad Johnson and Ray Lewis.

Expendable humans.

I shut off the TV when he speaks...
Old 11-13-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I don't often get to see him (thank goodness) but I cannot stand him.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

I'm in the Deion should STFU Camp
Old 11-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Deion is one of my favorite players ever. :). Auctually, you guys should hate him even more, I hear that he was so shut down, that it forced Neil O'Donnelll to throw into the hands of Larry Brown two INT's in Super Bowl XXX.