Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Who dey? Dey the Bengals and they're pretty good

Who dey? Dey the Bengals and they're pretty good
November 13, 9:34 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...re-pretty-good

PITTSBURGH - Former Steeler coach Bill Cowher is best remembered for his chant, "Who dey? We dey," after the 2005 playoff victory over the Bengals.

Ironically, Cowher was the only one with the hindsight to predict the Bengals (6-2) would be good in 2009.

So who exactly are Dey and why the sudden turnaround that has made Sunday's Steelers-Bengals game one of the most anticipated of the week?

For starters on offense, it begins with the play of quarterback Carson Palmer.

"I think the difference is that the quarterback is better now," Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said. " I think that Carson (Palmer) is really understanding the game in a whole new level, that he doesn't have to win the game so heatedly by himself."

Lewis said he learned from sitting out last season, and Steeler coach Mike Tomlin says that has lit a fire under him.

"This guy's playing with an edge, he's a winner," Steeler coach Mike Tomlin said. " He's missed some football. He's committed to driving this team. Guys of that mindset will move the chains by any means possible. So we have to respect that element of it as we prepare, and ultimately as we play and rush them."

Another big factor has been the play of running back Cedric Benson, who is tearing up the rushing lanes and has 837 yards through eight games.

"He takes his time, when he sees a gap he takes his three yards and a cloud of dust," tackle Casey Hampton said. "Instead of trying to make the big big play everytiime and he doesn't take a loss."

Asked about Benson, Steeler coach Mike Tomlin said he always had the pedigree to be good, but now has matured and learned from the past.

"I think all men grow and learn from adversity," Tomlin said. " It's obvious that he's done that, and he's matured, just based on the result of his performances. He's an inspired, motivated runner, and it shows up on tape and I'm sure that they're glad to see that he's in that state of mind at this point."

And while the two have gotten most of the press, there is of course the outspoken Chad Ochocinco, who after a dismal last season, is putting up career numbers.

"The Bengals are playing good football right now," defensive lineman Nick Eason said. "They are hitting on all the same cylinders this year. Anytime you get a team with talent, and they have a lot collectively playing together, you're going to do well. Carson and Cedric are playing big time football, His receivers are catching everything, so its going to be a challenge for us this week."

But there is another aspect to the Bengals that has gone overlooked, at least by the media this year, the play of its defense.

They aren't ranked as high as the Steelers, but have allowed just 16.9 points per game and have been extremely tough against the run, ranking second in the NFL allowing just 80.3 yards per game.

"They've been rock solid in coverage" Tomlin said. "It's allowed them to put a bunch of people in the box, they've gotten after peoples' run games, made them one dimensional; playing spirited and together. We've got our work cut out for us."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983
Default Re: Who dey? Dey the Bengals and they're pretty good

Dey the Bengals and Dey ain't sh**!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
GoSlash27
Team Captain

Member Number: 3225

Gotta respect them. The noise from the media is that we're past the heavy part of our schedule, but looking at offensive/ defensive yardage instead of wins/losses, it's apparent that our schedule in the second half is tougher rather than easier.
Cincy is playing serious football right now, and this is a must-win game for us. B'mooore and Green Bay are both playing better than their even records reflect.
This is not a good time to rest on our laurels or get complacent. We need to keep the fire going and control our destiny going into the playoffs.
/Bengals FANS still ain't $41t tho'...
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:12 AM   #4
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Bengals are as good as a morning fart coming up through your bathrobe to your nose. The media is running out of new teams to promote the league.

I am more worried about a spoiler Baltimore team with nothing to lose when we play them than Cincy's offense.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I take NO team for granted, but the Steelers have been playing at the top of their game both offensively and defensively over the last 4 games and I see that trend continuing on Sunday against the Bungles. Yes - the Bungles are a stronger team this season than those we've seen in the past, but when all is said and done, the Steelers are the more talented team overall with the best coaching staff in the business hands down. The OL is playing their best football ever, Ben has been playing lights out and now has 4 very viable targets to throw to, our running game has re-emerged with Mendy and our D is still among the best in the league all the way around.

The Bungles have some talent, but the Steelers have stars.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Raynestorm
Water Boy

Member Number: 15153

They're not that good.

Their wins have come against teams that either collapsed or weren't any good to begin with. Their D is ranked 14 overall and 25th against the pass. Their O is ranked 12th overall but 18th passing the ball.

Shut down the run - which we will - and they can't move the ball.

Tomorrow against us will tell us a lot.
Raynestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

I think the bungals corners have played pretty well for them but, last game we did not have Troy. I think we will win this game because, tomorrow is going to be reality for the bungals.
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
I think the bungals corners have played pretty well for them but, last game we did not have Troy. I think we will win this game because, tomorrow is going to be reality for the bungals.
The media keep saying that...but they gamble way to much. It may give them the occasional interception, but it costs them the big plays. Thats why they are ranked #24 in pass defense.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I take NO team for granted, but the Steelers have been playing at the top of their game both offensively and defensively over the last 4 games and I see that trend continuing on Sunday against the Bungles. Yes - the Bungles are a stronger team this season than those we've seen in the past, but when all is said and done, the Steelers are the more talented team overall with the best coaching staff in the business hands down. The OL is playing their best football ever, Ben has been playing lights out and now has 4 very viable targets to throw to, our running game has re-emerged with Mendy and our D is still among the best in the league all the way around.

The Bungles have some talent, but the Steelers have stars.
I agree but I actually see us turning it up one notch for this game. Remember we let them win the last one late. I think our D will shut down Benson and I look for Troy to pick Palmer and possibly have a sack on a blitz.Just to say hello.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

WE DEY
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote