Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default View From The Press Box - Parker staying positive

View From The Press Box

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29

Parker staying positive
November 14th, 2009

The guy who has averaged 101.5 rushing yards against the Bengals in eight games dating back to 2005 may be the least of Cincinnati’s worries Sunday at Heinz Field.

That is because Willie Parker has become at best a role player and at worst an afterthought in the Steelers’ offense.

The good news for the Steelers is that Parker has taken, at least for now, his reduced role in stride. And that is something that can’t be easy for the two-time Pro Bowler given how competitive he is.

“Things are cool, man,” Parker said. “You’re up, you’re down, but I’m good. I’m getting everything straight. I’m looking forward to getting in the game and showing everybody what I can do.”

He didn’t get a chance to show anything last Monday in Denver.

Parker didn’t have a carry in the Steelers’ 28-10 win over the Broncos, and the third all-time leading rusher in franchise history was only on the field for one play.

Circumstances in the Denver game had something to do with that.

Parker got skipped in the rotation in the first half because starter Rashard Mendenhall only got six carries since the Broncos dominated time of possession. Parker had playing time taken away from him in the second half when the Steelers went with Mewelde Moore in their no-huddle offense.

Parker is expected to spell Mendenhall every third series against the Bengals but it’s hard not to wonder just where he fits into the Steelers’ offense.

Moore is ideal as a third-down back and as the back in the no-huddle offense. The Steelers, meanwhile, need to get Mendenhall as many touches as possible given the way he has burst onto the scene.

Since Parker’s turf toe injury provided an opening for Mendenhall, the 2008 first-round pick has rushed for 528 yards and four touchdowns in five games

“Man, he’s running at a high level,” Parker said. “Anybody can see that.”

What isn’t so clear is what Mendenhall’s emergence means for Parker.

Parker’s injured toe has improved significantly but he won’t be 100 percent for the rest of the season. And unless an injury sidelines Mendenhall or fumbling problems crop up again for the second-year man, Parker will mostly have to watch and wait.

“I still think there’s a time where it’s going to fall into his lap,” Arians said of Parker, “and he’ll be great.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329
Default Re: View From The Press Box - Parker staying positive

Quote:
Parker is expected to spell Mendenhall every third series against the Bengals but it’s hard not to wonder just where he fits into the Steelers’ offense.
I know someone out there is going to see this as Parker bashing, but anyway. I would much rather see Moore in there every 3rd series than Parker. I like him as receiver out of the backfield and that little halfback option is pretty sweet too.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
supa_fly_steeler
Banned

Member Number: 15332
Default Re: View From The Press Box - Parker staying positive

I wouldn't see that as Parker bashing your just stating your opinion and prefer to go with Moore.

I still think he could resign with Pittsburgh as a backup with backup Money, Parker doesn't seem the type that goes for the big $$$$ unless cowher is a our HC who gave him that coins.

Parker would be great on running on the outside, something mendenhall has been doing, arians always ran parker up the middle.
supa_fly_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote