Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 7,976
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bengals fed up with Steeler bullies

Bengals fed up with Steeler bullies
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...teeler+bullies
By Paul Daugherty
pdaugherty@enquirer.com

PITTSBURGH -- It’s always Pittsburgh. In Cincinnati, no pro football conversation of substance can occur that does not include Pittsburgh. It has been that way, with occasional blips, for more than 30 years. Almost since there was a Cincinnati Bengals, the Cincinnati Bengals have been climbing that Pittsburgh hill.

The road to salvation goes through Pittsburgh again, as it must, on Sunday afternoon. Bengals-Steelers. Or, rather, Steelers-Bengals. They define Us. They tell us who we are, they show us how it can be. We seek their approval. They are who we want to be.

It is the sad truth. It will make you angry. I understand. Pittsburgh Fan is a mindless slob/internet troll who can get downright medieval in the stands and in the men’s room. He revels obnoxiously in his steadfast loyalty, but really, there’s nothing noble about rooting for a chronic winner. It requires only your presence, not your guts. Let’s see you hang in there for 12 years of 5-11, Polamalu jersey-wearer.

Being a stout, longtime Bengals fan takes courage and character. Being a longtime Steelers fan takes a television and free time on Sunday afternoons. But the truth is immutable.

In Cincinnati, it’s always Pittsburgh. The Steelers are judge, jury and tormentor.

Are the Bengals for real? That was the question this week. Let’s see. They’re 6-2, just like Pittsburgh. They’ve beaten Pittsburgh already. Save for the Fluke of the Year, the Bengals are 7-1. It’s not enough. It’s never enough.

“Let’s see what the Bengals do Sunday,’’ comes the response. In Pittsburgh.

This must be what Dodgers fans felt like through most of the 1970s. You want to be legit? You want validated? Beat Cincinnati.

Carson Palmer knows. A few years ago, he said he “hated’’ the Steelers. It was nothing but a well-articulated jealousy. Freud would call it Pittsburgh Envy. Palmer said as much. Paraphrasing: “I want what they have.’’

The cities are similar geographically and in market size. They entertain the same brown river and big-shouldered hills. They’re owned by similar, NFL-pedigreed families. Pittsburgh has an East Coast edge to it. Cincinnati is coated in southern surface politeness. But their middle-American-ness is much the same.

A difference is football. Pittsburgh has made a habit of stealing Cincinnati’s lunch money. It’s not even a rivalry. The stakes aren’t often high enough.

It was the Steelers’ late radio man Myron Cope who coined the term “Bungles’’ to describe Cincinnati’s team pre-Marvin. It was Hines Ward who broke Keith Rivers’ jaw. It wasn’t a Raven or a Brown who ripped up Palmer’s knee. It was Kimo vonDream Killer. An ex-Bengal, for goodness sake. It’s always Pittsburgh.

Baltimore is good. But as Bobbie Williams noted, “We’ve had Baltimore’s number.”

The Bengals have never wanted to be the Ravens when they grew up. They’ve wanted to be Pittsburgh. Every conversation must include Pittsburgh.

There have been occasional respites. In the late 80s, the Bengals and Houston Oilers dusted it up. Both teams were good and had coaches who openly loathed one another. Sam Wyche and Jerry Glanville were twin sons of different mothers.

That didn’t stop them from jacking up the score on each other, whenever possible.

But this is different. Houston is now Tennessee, is now in another division. This is personal. The Bengals are Stallone. The Steelers are Eastwood. Stallone was good. He was never Eastwood. If the Bengals want to play Broadway, they have to trip the footlights in Pittsburgh. Always Pittsburgh.

This season offers Cincinnati its best chance in more than 20 years, better than 2005, when the “young and dumb” Bengals (Palmer’s description) won the division, then lost their QB and their poise on the same play. This time, the Bengals are ready emotionally for the big stage. They can handle the stakes. And they have players good enough to win.

Will they? “It would do something wonderful to the guys’ confidence,” said Bobbie Williams.

It’s a giant hurdle. It’s the only hurdle. Always has been.

Who are the Bengals?

Ask Pittsburgh.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
SMR
Starter
 
SMR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 557
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Bengals fed up with Steeler bullies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Bengals fed up with Steeler bullies
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...teeler+bullies
By Paul Daugherty
pdaugherty@enquirer.com

PITTSBURGH -- It’s always Pittsburgh. In Cincinnati, no pro football conversation of substance can occur that does not include Pittsburgh. It has been that way, with occasional blips, for more than 30 years. Almost since there was a Cincinnati Bengals, the Cincinnati Bengals have been climbing that Pittsburgh hill.

The road to salvation goes through Pittsburgh again, as it must, on Sunday afternoon. Bengals-Steelers. Or, rather, Steelers-Bengals. They define Us. They tell us who we are, they show us how it can be. We seek their approval. They are who we want to be.

It is the sad truth. It will make you angry. I understand. Pittsburgh Fan is a mindless slob/internet troll who can get downright medieval in the stands and in the men’s room. He revels obnoxiously in his steadfast loyalty, but really, there’s nothing noble about rooting for a chronic winner. It requires only your presence, not your guts. Let’s see you hang in there for 12 years of 5-11, Polamalu jersey-wearer.

Being a stout, longtime Bengals fan takes courage and character. Being a longtime Steelers fan takes a television and free time on Sunday afternoons. But the truth is immutable.

In Cincinnati, it’s always Pittsburgh. The Steelers are judge, jury and tormentor.

Are the Bengals for real? That was the question this week. Let’s see. They’re 6-2, just like Pittsburgh. They’ve beaten Pittsburgh already. Save for the Fluke of the Year, the Bengals are 7-1. It’s not enough. It’s never enough.

“Let’s see what the Bengals do Sunday,’’ comes the response. In Pittsburgh.

This must be what Dodgers fans felt like through most of the 1970s. You want to be legit? You want validated? Beat Cincinnati.

Carson Palmer knows. A few years ago, he said he “hated’’ the Steelers. It was nothing but a well-articulated jealousy. Freud would call it Pittsburgh Envy. Palmer said as much. Paraphrasing: “I want what they have.’’

The cities are similar geographically and in market size. They entertain the same brown river and big-shouldered hills. They’re owned by similar, NFL-pedigreed families. Pittsburgh has an East Coast edge to it. Cincinnati is coated in southern surface politeness. But their middle-American-ness is much the same.

A difference is football. Pittsburgh has made a habit of stealing Cincinnati’s lunch money. It’s not even a rivalry. The stakes aren’t often high enough.

It was the Steelers’ late radio man Myron Cope who coined the term “Bungles’’ to describe Cincinnati’s team pre-Marvin. It was Hines Ward who broke Keith Rivers’ jaw. It wasn’t a Raven or a Brown who ripped up Palmer’s knee. It was Kimo vonDream Killer. An ex-Bengal, for goodness sake. It’s always Pittsburgh.

Baltimore is good. But as Bobbie Williams noted, “We’ve had Baltimore’s number.”

The Bengals have never wanted to be the Ravens when they grew up. They’ve wanted to be Pittsburgh. Every conversation must include Pittsburgh.

There have been occasional respites. In the late 80s, the Bengals and Houston Oilers dusted it up. Both teams were good and had coaches who openly loathed one another. Sam Wyche and Jerry Glanville were twin sons of different mothers.

That didn’t stop them from jacking up the score on each other, whenever possible.

But this is different. Houston is now Tennessee, is now in another division. This is personal. The Bengals are Stallone. The Steelers are Eastwood. Stallone was good. He was never Eastwood. If the Bengals want to play Broadway, they have to trip the footlights in Pittsburgh. Always Pittsburgh.

This season offers Cincinnati its best chance in more than 20 years, better than 2005, when the “young and dumb” Bengals (Palmer’s description) won the division, then lost their QB and their poise on the same play. This time, the Bengals are ready emotionally for the big stage. They can handle the stakes. And they have players good enough to win.

Will they? “It would do something wonderful to the guys’ confidence,” said Bobbie Williams.

It’s a giant hurdle. It’s the only hurdle. Always has been.

Who are the Bengals?

Ask Pittsburgh.
lol

SMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter
 
stb_steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 3,567
Gender: Male
Member Number: 14315
Thanks: 173
Thanked 313 Times in 183 Posts
Default Re: Bengals fed up with Steeler bullies

Hopefully after today they are who we thought they were...The Bungholes!!!
__________________

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Bengals fed up with Steeler bullies

Quote:
....there’s nothing noble about rooting for a chronic winner. It requires only your presence, not your guts.....
Being a stout, longtime Bengals fan takes courage and character. Being a longtime Steelers fan takes a television and free time on Sunday afternoons.
OHHHHHHH!!!!! I get it!
All of us Steelers Fans would be "better" if we were only lucky enough to have a team that sucks like a Shopvac.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
SMR
Starter
 
SMR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 557
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Bengals fed up with Steeler bullies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
OHHHHHHH!!!!! I get it!
All of us Steelers Fans would be "better" if we were only lucky enough to have a team that sucks like a Shopvac.
SMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 7,976
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Bengals fed up with Steeler bullies

The only solution to the Queen City's Bungholes pain is the Los Angeles Bengals. May we could move them into the AFC West where they could join other dysfunctional teams like the Raiders and the Chiefs.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
jaygorius
Bench Warmer
 
jaygorius's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 153
Member Number: 10909
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Bengals fed up with Steeler bullies

That's a pretty lame characterization of Steelers fans. I know it comes from envy on his part- like he talked about the players being jealous because they wanted to be like Pittsburgh, I think he is jealous of Steelers fans.

He says it is easy to be a Steelers fan because "being a longtime Steelers fan takes a television and free time on Sunday afternoons." But the thing is, Steelers fans eat, breathe, and sleep Steelers football. We read, talk, and follow them darn near 24/7. Being a Steelers fan is a full time "job" , not something that we just show up for Sunday afternoons and then forget about the rest of the week.
jaygorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
GoSlash27
Team Captain
 
GoSlash27's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: s t e e l u n i v e r s e . n e t
Posts: 949
Member Number: 3225
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Bengals fed up with Steeler bullies

Didn't you hear? It's always more noble to be victim.
And it's funny, 'cuz Cincy "fans" define the word 'bandwagon'.

I love how the entire division wants a team like ours, but can't have one *because* they are not us.
The only team in our division that stands any chance of becoming great is the Browns. They've got real fans who would support building for the long term and a tradition that the players would drive themselves to honor. Their only downfall is a front office that's worried more about profit margins than winning football games.

But the Bengals? They got nothin' beyond the occasional flashes of adequacy and the most fair-weather fanbase in the NFL. If they ever tried to build a team for the long haul, they'd go bankrupt because these people wouldn't attend games or buy merchandise.

They don't get it, and probably never will: We're not fans because the Steelers win, the Steelers win because we're fans.
GoSlash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:00 AM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend
 
stillers4me's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 8,670
Gender: Female
Member Number: 2656
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Bengals fed up with Steeler bullies

Quote:
We're not fans because the Steelers win, the Steelers win because we're fans
.

__________________
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter
 
markymarc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,589
Member Number: 2292
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Bengals fed up with Steeler bullies

Success will make a lot of people jealous including Bungles fans. The Steelers organization set the benchmark on how to win and be very successful. Like they always say it is a copycat league. Good luck trying to play catch up Bungles.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts