Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default The true achilles' heel to this team is the Special Teams

I still think we can win it all, but our ST is absolutely atrocious in nearly every single category.

This bunch can't tackle (and I am not talking about Jeff Reed). I have a hard time believing that losing Madison is the reason for this, but his loss certainly didn't help things.

The starting field position of nearly every single kickoff and the returns for touchdowns. Pathetic.

Logan is very....very average. It's at the point where I think we are wasting a roster spot on him. He is not the return man we were hoping for. That return of that fumbled kickoff in the EZ today was terrible.

This is the one area of the team that is going to cost us this season. Nearly every single season we are debating if this is the worst ST unit we have seen. This has got to stop.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082
Default Re: The true achiles heel to this team is the Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
I still think we can win it all, but our ST is absolutely atrocious in nearly every single category.

This bunch can't tackle (and I am not talking about Jeff Reed). I have a hard time believing that losing Madison is the reason for this, but his loss certainly didn't help things.

Logan is very....very average. It's at the point where I think we are wasting a roster spot on him. He is not the return man we were hoping for. That return of that fumbled kickoff in the EZ today was terrible.

This is the one area of the team that is going to cost us this season. Nearly every single season we are debating if this is the worst ST unit we have seen. This has got to stop.
I am very nervous every time we kick off. I am losing months off my life its so bad. I would trade Logans roster spot right now for a kicker only used to kick off if he could kick it out of the end zone. Thats right, 2 kickers just like some team did years ago. I was begging for Reed to actually kick it out of bounds just prior to halftime. Not a good feeling.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Cubanstogie
I am very nervous every time we kick off. I am losing months off my life its so bad. I would trade Logans roster spot right now for a kicker only used to kick off if he could kick it out of the end zone. Thats right, 2 kickers just like some team did years ago. I was begging for Reed to actually kick it out of bounds just prior to halftime. Not a good feeling.
Two years ago we were terrible. Last year we looked good.

I don't understand why we seem so much worse again this year

Has it been less of a focus because we performed so well last year?

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The Special Teams were actually pretty good last year despite inferior punting by Berger. This year we have better punting, but the coverage teams go to the pits.

Out of the bad Special Teams squads the Steelers have fielded over the years, this has to be the worst bunch I've ever seen. Don't blame it on Logan. Blocking schemes have been subpar for years. You could put Rod Woodson or Desmond Howard in their primes back there and they wouldn't do much.

Bob Ligashevsky needs to be put on notice for a pink slip. There is no excuse for the amount of crappiness on kickoffs.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Kicking the ball back to the 5 or endzone once in awhile doesnt hurt either. Thus giving ST time to get there. These low flying kicks do nothing.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Didn' t some of our starters, like James Harrsion do special teams duty last year?
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Ligashesky has to go. He got a mulligan last season because the ST coverage was good, but when you give up 3 return TD in the same season...that is unacceptable. And the most ridiculous thing about them is that all 3 have occurred in Heinz and have either killed momentum after a score or, as was the case today, ended up being the difference in the game. And they still have Cribbs and that rookie in Baltimore who returned a kick against the Broncos 2 weeks ago twice down the stretch.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

I had thought that since Tomlin replaced Cowher, special teams nightmares was a thing of the past; apparently not so. At least this time it was in a regular season game in November rather than in an AFCCG. Now the question is whether or not it can be rectified before the end of the season.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
iloveben7
Team Captain

Member Number: 3165

Sometimes I don't want us to score (i'm kidding) because I'm too afraid of what will happen on the kick-off. It seems every time after the offense scores us a big TD, we let one come right back.

It's not Jeff Reed's fault at all in the tackling. He's not paid to tackle and when you're blaming it on your kicker, you know something is wrong.

My dream is to meet my HERO, Ben Roethlisberger
iloveben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveben7 View Post
Sometimes I don't want us to score (i'm kidding) because I'm too afraid of what will happen on the kick-off. It seems every time after the offense scores us a big TD, we let one come right back.

It's not Jeff Reed's fault at all in the tackling. He's not paid to tackle and when you're blaming it on your kicker, you know something is wrong.
I put the blame on ALL 11 guys and nobody gets special treatment just because he is our kicker.
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote