Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #21
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,619 Times in 810 Posts
Default Re: The true achilles' heel to this team is the Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarc View Post
Outside of Jeff Reed kicking and Daniel Sepulveda punting our special teams is atrocious! Maybe we should just be squib kicking each time. Also, our blocking for whoever is back fielding the punt or kick off is just as bad.

It's time to try something different because it's not working right now.
What is that something different that you suggest we try???

I always like how easy it is to point out a problem........but for some reason difficult to suggest a solution.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #22
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

OK, for you creative thinkers out there, here is a link to Arizona punt return scheme that shows a "middle return". Without a 3-man wedge available, the option is to maybe put more players up on the front line and "man block" for the kick returners.
http://www.eteamz.com/lacsfootball/f...Bob_Wagner.pdf

Another alternative is to similarly use man blocking, but then pick a side and create a type of stalk block wall on that side and use a 2-man wedge or series of 2-man wedges to get to the wall. Just thought I would suggest a solution (no matter how lame they are) instead of just complaining.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #23
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
What is that something different that you suggest we try???

I always like how easy it is to point out a problem........but for some reason difficult to suggest a solution.
Isn't that what Mike Tomlin and Bob Ligashesky get paid to do? On kickoffs I would definitely recommend either squib or pooch kicking it each time now. Maybe it's time to put some starters out there on special teams. Listen I get the whole what happens if they get injured being on special teams. The last I checked they can get hurt playing on offense or defense too.

Maybe we need to change the gunners we have right now when punting or receiving a punt because they have not been doing very well. While we aren't going to change coaches during the season, in the off season maybe it's time to begin looking for a new specials team coach. And lastly while losing 1 player should never be dramatic, IMO when we waived Anthony Madison I think that really hurt us on special teams. It also doesn't help that Patrick Bailey isn't really standing out on special teams coverage now either.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:46 PM   #24
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Isn't that what Mike Tomlin and Bob Ligashesky get paid to do? On kickoffs I would definitely recommend either squib or pooch kicking it each time now. Maybe it's time to put some starters out there on special teams. Listen I get the whole what happens if they get injured being on special teams. The last I checked they can get hurt playing on offense or defense too.

Maybe we need to change the gunners we have right now when punting or receiving a punt because they have not been doing very well. While we aren't going to change coaches during the season, in the off season maybe it's time to begin looking for a new specials team coach. And lastly while losing 1 player should never be dramatic, IMO when we waived Anthony Madison I think that really hurt us on special teams. It also doesn't help that Patrick Bailey isn't really standing out on special teams coverage now either.
Well done, at least suggesting an option is better than wildly complaining in my opinion. The "pay your dollar and you can holler" mantra is a bit lame if you ask me.

I personally think Ligashesky had his coverages down last year, but never had a return guy. Now he has return men, but he hasnt been able to adapt to the game without the use of a 3-man wedge in blocking.

Remember, Ligs was only an assistant ST coach back with JAX in 2004, so the guy is still relatively young. He might be getting schooled by coaches who have adapted to the rule change better than him.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #25
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: The true achiles heel to this team is the Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveben7 View Post
It's not Jeff Reed's fault at all in the tackling. He's not paid to tackle and when you're blaming it on your kicker, you know something is wrong.
The way I look at it is this. If Skippy is expected to do "mop up duty" for the other 10 guys who fubar and miss the return man, then those 10 guys should be expected to be able to kick FG's and punt if the situation warrants. I know that is a tad extreme, but after reading all of the Reed witch hunting that has been going on here and the "he is a part of the ST's so he should be expected to tackle just like the other 10" remarks, I feel turnabout is only fair play.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #26
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
And lastly while losing 1 player should never be dramatic, IMO when we waived Anthony Madison I think that really hurt us on special teams. It also doesn't help that Patrick Bailey isn't really standing out on special teams coverage now either.
Y'know who I really miss on ST's (and I believe the Steelers do, as well)? Sean Morey. That guy was an absolute monster in coverage.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #27
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Y'know who I really miss on ST's (and I believe the Steelers do, as well)? Sean Morey. That guy was an absolute monster in coverage.
i was actually thinking of him today when i read the cardinals box score.

haggans had 2 sacks and mcfadden had 5-6 tackles. (and most importantly they didnt give up any cheap returns).

i gotta give kudos to logan on the return coverage on that KO TD though. not only was he one of the 1st ones down the field on that kick, he was also the fastest and closest to closing on the returner in pursuit (before he got pushed down and out for a 2nd time).
Old 11-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #28
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
The way I look at it is this. If Skippy is expected to do "mop up duty" for the other 10 guys who fubar and miss the return man, then those 10 guys should be expected to be able to kick FG's and punt if the situation warrants. I know that is a tad extreme, but after reading all of the Reed witch hunting that has been going on here and the "he is a part of the ST's so he should be expected to tackle just like the other 10" remarks, I feel turnabout is only fair play.
i gave reed a pass on the p. harvin td but yesterdays effort was pretty lame.

next time he is in that situation he needs to take a split second to think to himself "what would daniel sepulveda do".
Old 11-16-2009, 07:42 PM   #29
SteelGhost
Starter

Member Number: 13528

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
Kicking the ball back to the 5 or endzone once in awhile doesnt hurt either. Thus giving ST time to get there. These low flying kicks do nothing.

I like Jeff but aside of this he needs to kick higher and longer ... or make DSep practice kick-offs

Ligashesky is in the hot seat IMO

Last edited by SteelGhost; 11-16-2009 at 09:24 PM.
SteelGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:31 PM   #30
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150

I love having Reed as our kicker, and he isnt paid to tackle, but I think he should at least make an attempt to tackle.

I don't want anyone else to kick our field goals other then Reed but for Kickoffs maybe we should let Daniel Sepulveda take a hack at it. He has a pretty strong leg, might get us better field position on kickoffs and he knows how to tackle if he has to.

[YOUTUBE]_FhCgLeuO0I[/YOUTUBE]

Just to restate, I still only want Reed for Field Goals, he is clutch. but on kickoffs he has been a little lack luster recently and it wouldnt hurt to see what Sep has got