Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Media

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
WPAathletics.com
Water Boy

Member Number: 14052
Default Bill's Steelers Corner - The Bengals take Division Lead

http://www.wpaathletics.com/home/?p=554

William Albright – WPAathletics.com STAFF

PITTSBURGH — For those who thought the Cincinnati Bengal’s 23-20 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers two months ago in Cincinnati was a fluke, forget it.

Sunday afternoon, the Bengals invaded Heinz Field and gave the Steelers another lesson on how to play defense, Bengal Style, as they completed the 2-game sweep over the defending Super Bowl Champions by the final of 15-12.

“We weren’t able to get the job done today and I think the Bengals had a lot to do with that,” said Steeler head coach Mike Tomlin in his post-game press conference. “That is a good football team and I congratulate them.”

While Tomlin passed out some positive accolades to the Bengals, he was also quick to point out that his team fell short of the mark in numerous categories.

“We were below the line, that’s not winning a football game on a lot of fronts, specifically when you’re playing a quality team as the Bengals are,” continued Tomlin. “When all you do is kick field goals, you potentially expose yourself to losses. We weren’t able to execute in the red zone today offensively, we kicked field goals and we exposed ourselves potentially to that (a loss).”

Although the Steelers lost to the Bengals for the second time this season, Tomlin also recognized that the loss didn’t mean the end of the season for the Black & Gold.

“We’ve got some work to do, we’re a team that’s developing,” he said. “It’s a step back today, but I trust that this group will respond appropriately. I know that we’re going to move forward when we get back in tomorrow with that in mind, but as for today, job not done. The job was done by the Cincinnati Bengals.”

On the other side of the locker room, Bengal coach Marvin Lewis was quick to point out what the win meant to his team.

“That’s a big win (for us),” said Lewis. “It was a grinding football, probably the most physical, grinding game I’ve ever been on the sideline to experience. I thought our guys did a good job of hanging in there today and grinding blow for blow, back and forth.”

So what was the problem with the Steelers?

“We didn’t find comfort today,” said offensive tackle Max Starks. “We were just kind of picking and choosing and were never really cohesive at all today. We were kind of guessing and we were a little timid out there. I don’t think we ever went into the attack mode. We had some good drives, but when we got into the red zone, we couldn’t capitalize on the opportunities we had.”

SKIPPING THE SIDELINES AT HEINZ FIELD

BIGGEST PLAY OF THE DAY :

A 96-yard kickoff return for a touchdown by Bernard Scott answering a 28-yard field by Jeff Reed. The kickoff return to the house is the third one against the Steeler kick coverage team this season.

“The simple fact in why we are giving up big returns is that we are not making tackles,” said Tomlin. “Two people bounced off that guy and he scored. You can’t miss two tackles on a kickoff in the NFL because if you do, chances are they’re going to come back on you.”

“It was a bad kick,” said Scott. “I just picked it up and tried to go back to where the return side was. I tried to make a play and just ran it to the end zone.”

SECOND BIGGEST PLAY OF THE DAY(and arguably the dumbest):

With the Bengals leading 15-12 and the Steelers having a chance to hold them and force a punt, James Harrison was guilty of delivering a “dead ball” blow to the head to one of the Bengal players that promptly drew a 15-yard march off and a first down to keep the drive alive.

THEY KEEP MOUNTING:

With Aaron Smith already gone for the season, the Steelers had more walking wounded after Sunday’s game with the Cincinnati Bengals. Troy Polamula left in the game in the first period with a knew injury and never returned, while defensive back Keenan Lewis was helped off the field in the second quarter after suffering a rib injury, also not to return to the game.

“He’s getting a MRI on his left knee,” said Tomlin about Polamula. “It is the same knee he injured earlier in the year, I assume that I’ll have more information at a later date in time. Right now, all I can tell you is that he is getting a MRI.”

WOULD YOU BELIEVE:

There were actually two, 2-minute warnings in the first half. Following a pass completion from Ben Roethlisberger to Santonio Holmes, the clock was allowed to run down to 2:00. The trainers came running onto the field, the two teams were taking their break, but the officials decided to reset the game clock to 2:07. Following an incompletion from Roethlisberger intended for Mike Wallace, the clock read 1:55 and referee Terry McAulay gave the “real” 2-minute warning to both teams.

SNAPPING THE STREAK:

The win by the Bengals snapped a five-game winning streak by the Steelers. The loss was the Steelers first this season. Pittsburgh had won eight straight home games.
WPAathletics.com is offline   Reply With Quote