Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default No excuses! The better team won

No excuses! The better team won

By Bob Smizik | Sunday 4:35 p.m.
http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...k/default.aspx

Itís a Pittsburgh tradition: When the Steelers lose, the finger pointing begins.

Not today.

Iím sure Steelers fans wonít see it this way but on this particular Sunday afternoon the Steelers were outplayed. The Cincinnati Bengals were the better team -- not by much -- but by enough to produce an 18-12 win at Heinz Field.

The Steelers did not score a touchdown, failing to convert four times in the red zone. All their points came on field goals by Jeff Reed.

``When you kick field goals, you expose yourself to losses,'' said coach Mike Tomlin.

The Bengals also did not have an offensive touchdown but they returned a kickoff for a score, as Bernard Scott went 96 yards, and the Steelers special teams problems surfaced again.

``That's a good football team,'' said Tomlin of the Bengals.

The Steelers defense played extremely well despite playing much of the game without Troy Polamalu, who reinjured his knee in the first half.

The offense could do little or nothing against the Bengals
, accumulating only 226 yards. But even as the game grew late optimism did not fade. Who among us did not expect Ben Roethlisberger to rally the Steelers from the slight deficit they faced in the fourth quarter? After all, thatís what Ben does.

Bernard Scott returns kickoff for Cincinnati touchdown (Matt Freed/Post-Gazette)But not on this day, and thatís not a knock on Roethlisberger. Itís praise for the Bengals.

When the Bengals went ahead, 15-12, with about seven minutes remaining, it looked like Roethlisberger time. But it was Bengals time as the Cincinnati defense held, forcing the Steelers to punt after three plays and seven yards.

On the next possession, the Bengals move 52 yards on 11 plays, eating up the clock and picking up four first downs to move in for another field goal.

So what? The margin was only six with 1:56 remaining. Once again it was Roethlisberger time. And once again the Bengals prevailed.

Roethlisberger threw too high to Hines Ward on first down from his own 33 as he faced heavy pressure on the play.

He went deep to Mike Wallace on second down but the pass was underthrown a bit and two Cincinnati defenders covered the play.

His third down pass clanked off the hands of Cincinnati cornerback Jonnathan Joseph and should have been intercepted.

On fourth down, defensive end Michael Johnson, who had applied the pressure on first down, was dragging Roethlisberger to the ground as the pass was thrown. It fell incomplete.

The Bengals have a one-game lead in the AFC North with a 7-2 record. But itís actually a two-game lead since they own the tiebreaker.

Thereís a long way to go in this season and the Steelers are by no means out of the title picture in the AFC North. But on this November afternoon the Cincinnati Bengals were the better team.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: No excuses! The better team won

Quote:
It’s a Pittsburgh tradition: When the Steelers lose, the finger pointing begins.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Quote:
But on this November afternoon the Cincinnati Bengals were the better team.
Though it hurts as much as gouging my eyes out with a fork, I simply can't disagree. The Bungles brought it today.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #3
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

'em Stillers couldn't stop their dink-n-dunk passing game, couldn't make holes for our running-backs, and couldn't keep Roethlisberger upright long-enough to throw the ball with authority (and a few dropped-balls didn't help matters):
'IF' we are lucky-enough to play Cincinnati again, I'd suspect another battle in the trenches

Old 11-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #4
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

We could of ran the ball a little more tho.....Dont give up on it, look at all the other teams that run down the opposing team.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,572 Posts

i wouldn't say the bengals were the better team today... the stats certainly don't indicate it. infact they're damn near the same. the only difference between the 2 today was 1 kickoff , and one bad pass, that turned into an INT ...
NET YARDS PASSING
steelers - 146
bengals - 157

rushing
steelers - 80 ...4.4 avg
bengals - 61....2.1 avg

TOTAL NET YARDS

steelers - 226....3.6 yds per play
bengals - 218.....3.6 yds per play

1ST DOWNS
steelers - 16
bengals - 14

Third Down Efficiency
steelers - 3 - 15
bengals 4 - 14

TIME OF POS

steelers - 30:52
bengals - 29:02
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The Bengals did their job. We did not.

This day, and this season, they are the better team. They are better than we are. They improved and surpassed us. They are the new standard barometer in the AFC North.

If we want to do anything. We're going to have to answer to them. The Bengals found our number and own it. End of story until proven otherwise.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,044 Times in 3,441 Posts

sorry news paper article writer, bob, but i have taken the eyeball test and and am still not ready to concede the division to the bungles or suggest they are the better team.

today the better team abandoned the run and didnt even have a rb injury or a dominant defensive opponent as a viable reason.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:12 AM   #8
Mags87
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 12016

i have to say that neither team proved dominant today. the big thing that they did better than us was special teams. they had great field position all day and got a TD. other than that, equal matchup. this is just like us and Baltimore last year, except the shoe is on the other foot (and man does it hurt)
Old 11-16-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

my man Ben had 3 chances to score TD's today...but again he missed open receivers.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:20 AM   #10
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
sorry news paper article writer, bob, but i have taken the eyeball test and and am still not ready to concede the division to the bungles or suggest they are the better team.

today the better team abandoned the run and didnt even have a rb injury or a dominant defensive opponent as a viable reason.
THE TEAM THAT PLAYED BETTER WON!!!!!!The better team did not show up. We mailed this one in.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote