Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #1
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,248 Times in 522 Posts
Default Running Game, Running Game, Running Game!

I love the direction this Pittsburgh Steelers offense is heading, I really do. We have many versatile weapons, and we have the talent to light up the score board each week, and Arians has been trying to install a more "air it out attack offense" since 2007. We've shown glimpses this season of that, and it almost felt like the form of being un-predictable was taking shape with the emergence of Mendenhall.

Now, with that said, Arians COMPLETELY had an overall MELTDOWN in his play calling, and game plan against the Bengirls. Since the 2006 season, I've never seen a Steelers offense panic so bad to the point where they had no idea what to do. I STILL don't really know what Arian's game plan was going into this game and quite frankly I don't want to know.

But, where was the running game? Mendenhall was coming off some STELLAR performances and you mean to tell me Arians dialed up his number only 13 times? 13 times in a TIGHT game, compared to Ben's 40 pass attempts. That is a recipe for disaster and it showed big time not only throughout the game, but on 3rd downs. (3rd and two seemed like 4th and a mile.) They came out on some drives and tried to push the ball down field when they simply didn't have to at that moment. I remember telling my brother at that point that even in a 3 point game, we are seriously in panic mode. It was just NEVER right.

If the Steelers want to have any kinds of success during these last games (I still say the Steelers will be one of the two teams that will be the toughest to beat in Dec.) then we must establish and stick to the run than we portrayed yesterday, PERIOD.

Also, Mewelde Moore should have more packages in this offense. Every time this man gets his opportunity, or has the ball in his hands, he does something with it! Moore is a gem that needs to see more time, whatever that may be.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Re: Running Game, Running Game, Running Game!

Pony backfield ive been waiting.... memo & mendy forget that damn 3 TE set

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

Great teams find ways to win games, it doesnt matter how many times a OC calls a running play. 13 carries for 36 yards is not impressive at all. The Colts found a way to win passing the ball 40 times, running the ball isnt going to change the fact that the Steelers werent successful.
T.Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor View Post
Pony backfield ive been waiting.... memo & mendy forget that damn 3 TE set
That's actually not a bad idea. I kind of like it. The Steelers don't have the personal to run the Power I since we don't have a solid full back in the roster like a Kreider who is built for a lead block and take on any blitzing linebacker with attack. (Speaking of picking up the Blitz, Mendenhall has truly become a professional! He's amazing at blitz pickup recently.)

Coming out in 2 tight ends is like conceding our identity to the defense. Spaeth is NOT used in the pass (don't know why since that's his forte, esp. in the redzone) and he CERTAINLY isn't no run blocker, in fact he's terrible and he caves in every running play when in the 2 TE set. A complete waste of a package IMO. If we would go to a pony back set, then that can certainly open up some creativity not only in the run, but in the pass which forces Linebackers and safeties to peak in the backfield at all costs.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,533 Posts

this probably coulda been posted in the OTHER thread bitching about not running the ball.....
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Richardson View Post
Great teams find ways to win games, it doesnt matter how many times a OC calls a running play. 13 carries for 36 yards is not impressive at all. The Colts found a way to win passing the ball 40 times, running the ball isnt going to change the fact that the Steelers werent successful.
Although that might be true, comparing the Steelers offense to the Colts offense isn't even right. The Colts are built to pass the ball at will, and that's pretty much been their identity since Manning's first start. The difference, is that the Colts pretty much have 0 running game, while the Steelers do have more of a balanced attack at times. Giving up on the run CERTAINLY didn't help our team out, and the results prove that to be true. We became one dimensional and predictable and that let the Bengals dictate the whole game.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
this probably coulda been posted in the OTHER thread bitching about not running the ball.....
Not really bitching my man. Point is, limiting a weapon in Mendenhall to 13 carries is just bad game planning and situational football (esp in a tight game.) IF given the chance, maybe ATLEAST 20 carries, I believe Mendenhall could of been the difference maker down the stretch. Not giving the running game a chance not only hurt our chances on 3rd Down, mainly 3rd and short, but clock management as well.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Why didn't Ben audible to more run plays? Is THAT BA's fault?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
bigjamesharrison2
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13323

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Why didn't Ben audible to more run plays? Is THAT BA's fault?
It's ALWAYS BA's fault.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #10
SMR
Starter

Member Number: 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Although that might be true, comparing the Steelers offense to the Colts offense isn't even right. The Colts are built to pass the ball at will, and that's pretty much been their identity since Manning's first start. The difference, is that the Colts pretty much have 0 running game, while the Steelers do have more of a balanced attack at times. Giving up on the run CERTAINLY didn't help our team out, and the results prove that to be true. We became one dimensional and predictable and that let the Bengals dictate the whole game.
I think you hit the nail on the head, at least mine!
SMR is offline   Reply With Quote