Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-24-2006, 08:02 AM   #11
BritishSteel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878
My Mood: Amused
Cool Re: West coast offense vs Blitzburgh Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51lofa
both the 49ers and the cards use the 3-4, and think the titans do too...so that means the HAWK's have faced the 3-4, 6 times this year and won all 6 games...heres going for #7

btw; the version denver runs is nothing like the true form Homy uses that he learned from the master Walsh ... at the same time none of those teams run the 3-4 like the steelers do, theres a reason the steelers are in the superbowl

heres to a great game with both teams leaving it all on the field

p.s. the HAWK's were missing BOTH there starting wideouts for the DALLAS game... may be the reason they struggled ( just a guess )
Fair enough - I didn't see the Hawks-Cowboys game (the Cowboys are a decent enough team anyway) so I'll take your word for it.

No-one plays 3-4 like the Steelers (well, perhaps the Pats) so I guess we'll find out in a week and some whether it's an issue
BritishSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:21 AM   #12
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: West coast offense vs Blitzburgh Defense

Since the WC offense it based on timing and thowing to a spot, ask Peyton how effective that was. As long as we can generate the rush like we have throughout the entire playoffs, we will be fine, there is no passing game when the QB is under pressure immediately after the snap, which is pretty much what we have been able to do. I am pretty confident that Alexander will not be running up the middle.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 11:12 AM   #13
Seahawk76
Water Boy

Member Number: 1312

Jackson and Engram were out for the Cowboys game which allowed them to put eight in the box to stop Alexander. Hasselbeck moved the Seahawks down the field easily on the first drive but then threw one of his few bad picks of the season in the red zone. After that they struggled moving the ball most of the game but then blew right down the field in the final two minutes of the game to tie it up.

The Seahawks moved the ball at will against the Texans' 3-4. I'm not trying to compare the Texans' D with the Steelers' D obviously, I'm just saying there's nothing magical about the 3-4 against the WCO...it all depends on the personnel and the execution. The 3-4 has its strengths but also has weaknesses that can be exploited. The Hawks rolled up 443 yards in New England last year against a very good Patriot 3-4 defense.
Seahawk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
Avoid Lloyd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by area51lofa
both the 49ers and the cards use the 3-4, and think the titans do too...so that means the HAWK's have faced the 3-4, 6 times this year and won all 6 games...heres going for #7

Well since you beat the 49ers, Cardinals, and Titans you should have no problem with the Steelers.
Avoid Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 03:59 PM   #15
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

LeBeau with two weeks to prepare, our athletic defenders! Advantage us!
Old 01-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #16
seahawksfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1328

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
LeBeau with two weeks to prepare, our athletic defenders! Advantage us!
Two weeks for Holmgren and Haskell, and our defensive coordinators Rhodes and Marshall, to prepare a game plan...gotta love it.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
seahawksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:31 PM   #17
steelcityjameser
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 827

nice post. good question. first i guess it starts with Hasselbeck picking up the blitz and finding that safety valve receiver or open man up the middle. second it is the o-lineman and how effective they are picking it up; they may have seen 3-4 this year, but they HAVE NOT seen pittsburgh's 3-4, probably the most complex in terms of blitz packages in the NFL. after that it is pure execution on both sides. one thing though, pittsburgh will adjust if they need to; and if the seahawks can't stop the steelers offense it may be a moot point anyway.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:45 PM   #18
Tooquickrich
Water Boy

Member Number: 1129

Quote:
Well since you beat the 49ers, Cardinals, and Titans you should have no problem with the Steelers.
yeah, they won a combined total of what.......10 games.....lol.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #19
Hawkswin
Water Boy

Member Number: 1422

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityjameser
nice post. good question. first i guess it starts with Hasselbeck picking up the blitz and finding that safety valve receiver or open man up the middle. second it is the o-lineman and how effective they are picking it up; they may have seen 3-4 this year, but they HAVE NOT seen pittsburgh's 3-4, probably the most complex in terms of blitz packages in the NFL. after that it is pure execution on both sides. one thing though, pittsburgh will adjust if they need to; and if the seahawks can't stop the steelers offense it may be a moot point anyway.
That's it right there. Hasselback needs to read the blitz. If the Steelers can disguise their schemes and trick Hasselback into needless audibles the Seahawks are in trouble. If the Hawk's Oline gives him some time, and Mack Strong and Jeremy Stevens can consistently pick up their blocks, the WCO will pick apart the Steelers D. With 3 and 4 WR formations spreading out the coverage, you guys had better hit Hass quick or someone's going to be open every time.

No one runs a WCO as pure as the one in Seattle, and no one has a 3-4 with the speed and complexity of the Steelers. I can't wait.
Hawkswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 05:28 PM   #20
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Dink and dunk WCO basically just means you substitute short passes as runs, and the QB takes little 3 step drops as opposed to 5-7 to defuse the blitz. But it can be defensed by forcing the offense into perfection, as the whole thing hinges on the offense being able to execute long drives with lot's of successful plays a few yards at a time, and being a bend don't break defense (as the Steelers are) is the very best remedy.

I'd say at best the Seahawks can hang 20 points on the Steelers, and that's at best, meaning nice balance, no TO's, decent field position, etc, etc...

The game will be determined by how well Seattle can overcome the newfound proficiency of the Steelers offense. Let 'em score 30 or so like they have been almost every week during the winning streak, and the game is over 30-20 Steelers.

That will, incidentally, be my prediction for the game, barring any unforseen injuries...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote