Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Reed not to blame for kick coverage woes

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

Reed not to blame for kick coverage woes

November 17th, 2009

The biggest surprise of the season for the Steelers -- and it is hardly a pleasant one -- is the alarming breakdowns they have experienced on their kickoff coverage team.

The unit that ranked first in the NFL last season (19.1 yards per return) has become a weak link on the Steelers.

And the regression the Steelers have experienced in that area of the game could lead to a significant shake-up of the unit -- one that may have started today when the Steelers signed Donovan Woods from the practice squad and released Arnold Harrison.

Of all the criticism that has been leveled at the kickoff coverage team, the one that is so much hot air is Jeff Reed’s culpability on the back end of the three touchdown returns the Steelers have allowed in the last four games.

Granted, Reed has unwittingly provided some recent comic relief. And he made “SportsCenter” last Sunday for the wrong reason by running past Bernard Scott as he if were crossing a street and Bengals’ return man was an oncoming car.

But to call out Reed for not bringing down Scott or Minnesota’s Percy Harvin on the latter’s kickoff return for a touchdown last month is simply misdirected fan anger.

“I am not going to get down to evaluating Jeff Reed as a tackler,” said Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who has been satisfied with Reed’s kickoffs. “When it comes down to that we’ve failed as a coverage unit as far as I’m concerned.”

Amen.

If a kicker is needed to stop a returner from taking one to the house, then it is gravy, a bonus, if he actually brings him down or slows him down enough for someone to make the tackle.

As Tomlin said, “I don’t lose any sleep over the quality of Jeff Reed’s tackles.”

Tomlin paused and then added, “Or tackle attempts.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #2
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202
Default Re: Reed not to blame for kick coverage woes

Thank You for posting this Mesa, I just forwarded it off to my friends who I was watching the game with. After the KO return they both were yelling "Thank You Reed" and "Reed, You Suck!" This was not Skippy's fault. He got the ball down to the five in the corner (even though on a bounce or two if I remember right) and our ST's had him pinned. Whether it be a block in the back, lack of lane discipline, or just poor tackling the returner should have never gotten to Reed. Than my buddy was complaining that Reed never kick's the ball into the endzone, no crap, he never does. He doesn't have the strongest leg in the league, but one of the more accurate ones. I will take him any day when the game is on the line, but every kicker will have misses like the first two losses.

Sorry if I was all over the place with my thoughts, my ADD and Redbull kicked in the exact same time, haha.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

A-freakin'-MEN.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
Glace
Team Captain

Member Number: 3609

#1...A kicker should not HAVE to be a part of the equation when tackling on ST's
#2...Not many kickers in the history of the NFL were head hunters. Just do a youtube search of kickers tackling and enjoy the comedy. Some of them make Reed look like Lambert.
Glace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #5
Jmat
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14746

So because Jeff Reed is the last guy with a chance to tackle the returner and is out there in the middle of the field for everyone to see going against a guy running full speed and making quick moves who just blew past the 10 players who's sole job is to tackle the kick returner people still want to crucify him for his attempted tackles.

There's a reason why the ten guys who get paid to make tackles on ST's aren't asked to kick.They can't. But does anyone bitch about that?

I remember James Harrison attempting to long snap last year with terrible results. Where were the complainers at then?

I can understand being pissed at Reed for a few minutes in the heat of the moment or for a little while after the game but once people settle down and get control of their emotions their common sense should take over.
Jmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
frankvctr
Water Boy

Member Number: 14144

Big Ben best play was a tackle of a Colt player when Bettis fumbled near the goal line. Without that play, steelers would not win the Superbowl in 2005. Big Ben wasn't paid for making a tackle, but he did to win the crucial game for Steelers.

Jeff Reed has to make a decent attempt.
frankvctr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

It's not going to matter, Mike, because Steelers fans always need a scapegoat when something goes wrong. It doesn't matter if it's the responsibility of the other 10 guys to make sure the KR never gets to Reed...no. It's all his fault, dammit, and he should be CUT IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

Old 11-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankvctr View Post
Big Ben best play was a tackle of a Colt player when Bettis fumbled near the goal line. Without that play, steelers would not win the Superbowl in 2005. Big Ben wasn't paid for making a tackle, but he did to win the crucial game for Steelers.

Jeff Reed has to make a decent attempt

Although i can point the finger directly at Reed, i gotta agree with this. The crap he pulled against the Vikings and the Bengals was inexcusable (as in his effort to tackle the ballcarrier). But really, we just need the other 10 guys to do their job
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399
My Mood: Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

Reed not to blame for kick coverage woes

November 17th, 2009

The biggest surprise of the season for the Steelers -- and it is hardly a pleasant one -- is the alarming breakdowns they have experienced on their kickoff coverage team.

The unit that ranked first in the NFL last season (19.1 yards per return) has become a weak link on the Steelers.

And the regression the Steelers have experienced in that area of the game could lead to a significant shake-up of the unit -- one that may have started today when the Steelers signed Donovan Woods from the practice squad and released Arnold Harrison.

Of all the criticism that has been leveled at the kickoff coverage team, the one that is so much hot air is Jeff Reed’s culpability on the back end of the three touchdown returns the Steelers have allowed in the last four games.

Granted, Reed has unwittingly provided some recent comic relief. And he made “SportsCenter” last Sunday for the wrong reason by running past Bernard Scott as he if were crossing a street and Bengals’ return man was an oncoming car.

But to call out Reed for not bringing down Scott or Minnesota’s Percy Harvin on the latter’s kickoff return for a touchdown last month is simply misdirected fan anger.

“I am not going to get down to evaluating Jeff Reed as a tackler,” said Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who has been satisfied with Reed’s kickoffs. “When it comes down to that we’ve failed as a coverage unit as far as I’m concerned.”

Amen.

If a kicker is needed to stop a returner from taking one to the house, then it is gravy, a bonus, if he actually brings him down or slows him down enough for someone to make the tackle.

As Tomlin said, “I don’t lose any sleep over the quality of Jeff Reed’s tackles.”

Tomlin paused and then added, “Or tackle attempts.”
Tomlin might get it and astute Steeler fans might get it.............but I been chastized for saying it is unacceptable and it is unacceptable.............if you can do no more than wave at the retuner as he zooms by on a TD.............you are NOT qualified to be on a kick off team

I reiterate, get some one else to perform kick offs.............is that too hard?????????????
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

I can understand both sides of what people are saying. But Jeff Reed is our kicker. I seriously doubt he practices tackling because that's not what he's paid to do. He's paid to put the ball between the uprights.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote