Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #11
SteelCityMom

Member Number:
Default Re: Reed not to blame for kick coverage woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
I can understand both sides of what people are saying. But Jeff Reed is our kicker. I seriously doubt he practices tackling because that's not what he's paid to do. He's paid to put the ball between the uprights.

I agree with this too, and have defended Reed in the past when everyone was bashing him for missing the FG's in the Bears game.

However, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when someone who wants to be one of the highest paid kickers in the league and was made captain of the ST's unit is unwilling to even attempt to put his body out there to keep the other team from scoring. I agree that the other 10 guys need to do their job as well, but they all get paid to play as part of a team. Heck, even last year Berger made a pretty nice tackle when he was the last guy to stop a punt return for a TD...I don't think it's that unreasonable to ask that Reed at least attempt to do the same.

Also, I take this article with a grain of salt because there's no way Tomlin is going to publicly bash any of his players. We'll find out at the end of the season or next season what Tomlin and the FO think when Reed either does or doesn't get the extension offer he's looking for. I'm sure things like this will stick out in their minds though.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #12
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glace View Post
#1...A kicker should not HAVE to be a part of the equation when tackling on ST's
#2...Not many kickers in the history of the NFL were head hunters. Just do a youtube search of kickers tackling and enjoy the comedy. Some of them make Reed look like Lambert.
And we're quite lucky that we have a punter who actually CAN make tackles like Lambert used to!

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
Old 11-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
And we're quite lucky that we have a punter who actually CAN make tackles like Lambert used to!

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]
I've never seen that before that was awesome!
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

do I expect Reed to tackle? No. (Resisting the urge to combine "the Water Boy" and "visualize a towel dispenser" comment)

However, I do expect him to learn how to take a bit better angles in order to slow down the runner and either 1. Force him out of bounds or 2. slow him down so other players can make the tackle.

However, you can never blame a kick return or punt return on the kicker or punter's failed tackles. They usually are very lucky to make those tackles. Reed's has just been highlighted over the last few weeks.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Im not gonna defend reeds non tackles, but i dont think he is out there to do the tackling in the first place, but i also wonder if part of his problem is his ankle inst he playing thru ankle problems..... anyway can we stop the blaming and flaming of reed?

Rich4eagle if we get a person for kick offs WHO are gonna cut for 1 and 2 yes it is harder than it sounds ask any ravens fan..........

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #16
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Quote:
I agree with this too, and have defended Reed in the past when everyone was bashing him for missing the FG's in the Bears game.

However, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when someone who wants to be one of the highest paid kickers in the league and was made captain of the ST's unit is unwilling to even attempt to put his body out there to keep the other team from scoring. I agree that the other 10 guys need to do their job as well, but they all get paid to play as part of a team. Heck, even last year Berger made a pretty nice tackle when he was the last guy to stop a punt return for a TD...I don't think it's that unreasonable to ask that Reed at least attempt to do the same.

Also, I take this article with a grain of salt because there's no way Tomlin is going to publicly bash any of his players. We'll find out at the end of the season or next season what Tomlin and the FO think when Reed either does or doesn't get the extension offer he's looking for. I'm sure things like this will stick out in their minds though.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:44 AM   #17
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankvctr View Post
Big Ben best play was a tackle of a Colt player when Bettis fumbled near the goal line. Without that play, steelers would not win the Superbowl in 2005. Big Ben wasn't paid for making a tackle, but he did to win the crucial game for Steelers.

Jeff Reed has to make a decent attempt.
Ben was just freakin lucky to make that tackle. He happened to guess right which way the runner would brake, and got his big body tangled up in the guys legs. I thought it was more a case of bad running than a great tackle. I would wager that 8 times out of 10 he would not have made that tackle. Its just that this time he did thank God.

You feel you need someone to blame for the run back? There were 10 other players that were on the field that work on tackling, and looked just as bad.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #18
stlrz fan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10982

The only thing that worries me is where's his heart, It seems like not too long ago he'd be right in the thick of it trying to prevent a run back. I think when his contract is worked out he will be throwing himself into these stops. I agree that he shouldn' t be in that position but unfortunately he has become our last line of defense with st ine state that they are. Until some changes start working this won't be the last time that Reed needs to be a tackler.
stlrz fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #19
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankvctr View Post
Big Ben best play was a tackle of a Colt player when Bettis fumbled near the goal line. Without that play, steelers would not win the Superbowl in 2005. Big Ben wasn't paid for making a tackle, but he did to win the crucial game for Steelers.

Jeff Reed has to make a decent attempt.
Thank You!!! If I am the last guy to make a tackle I am making sure I throw a shot in there. It's either try or 6 points for the other team. We are the Steelers not some other trash ass team! I hate Reed for his comment now, if you ask me I think the guy is scared to tackle.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #20
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
He may not publicly "bash his players" but he would get the message across loud and clear if he had a problem with their play, as he did with Mendenhall. You should know by now that Tomlin pulls no punches when he is dissatisfied with his players' efforts. This is why I encouraged fans to watch the video of Tomlin's press conference which I posted up a few days back - his agitation at the reporter who asked about Reed's tackling efforts is quite obvious by his facial expression and the Tomlinspeak that followed.

I do think the Steelers will find a way to keep Reed, as most times, he's money in the bank especially at HF. I think he screwed himself out of the price tag he wanted with his off the field antics but I do believe he and the Steelers will reach an agreement in the offseason.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote