Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 11-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #21
Bng_Hevn
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14891
Default Re: Reed not to blame for kick coverage woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelboy84 View Post
I can understand both sides of what people are saying. But Jeff Reed is our kicker. I seriously doubt he practices tackling because that's not what he's paid to do. He's paid to put the ball between the uprights.
When in the military and on the war front, even the cook is a rifleman when it comes down to living or dying.

In football, EVERYONE on the field is a tackler when called upon.

I don't think it's that he didn't make the tackles anyway, it's the total lack of effort.Hell, he didn't even make it LOOK like he was trying to make the tackle.

IMO, he needs to try. If you give him a total pass because "he is the kicker", what happens when that TD return is with 0 time on the clock and will end up being the game winner for the other team? Put that scenario in the SB and THEN tell me how you feel about kickers' responsibility.

Not making the tackle? I'm fine with that.
Not attempting to make the tackle? Inexcuseable.
Bng_Hevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #22
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bng_Hevn View Post
When in the military and on the war front, even the cook is a rifleman when it comes down to living or dying.

In football, EVERYONE on the field is a tackler when called upon.

I don't think it's that he didn't make the tackles anyway, it's the total lack of effort.Hell, he didn't even make it LOOK like he was trying to make the tackle.

IMO, he needs to try. If you give him a total pass because "he is the kicker", what happens when that TD return is with 0 time on the clock and will end up being the game winner for the other team? Put that scenario in the SB and THEN tell me how you feel about kickers' responsibility.

Not making the tackle? I'm fine with that.
Not attempting to make the tackle? Inexcuseable

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on it as well, its not the fact he didnt make the tackle, its just a little more effort would be nice.

However what would be even NICER would be him never having to show effort because the returner should be taken down long before he has that chance
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #23
willie_district
Water Boy

Member Number: 13859

It may not be Reed's job to tackle, but he is a football player. Playing football includes doing what is needed to make a play when opportunities present. It's not Ben's job to block, yet on some running plays, such as end-arounds, Ben makes a block when needed. If Reed is the only player between a kick returner and a touchdown, then he needs to make a tackle (attempt).
willie_district is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #24
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

If he could ever kick it thru the end zone this would not be an issue.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #25
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
If he could ever kick it thru the end zone this would not be an issue.
AMEN to that one. That is really the only problem I have with Reed except for his off field antics. That kick that made it all the way to the 15 yard line last week was absolutely pathetic. And don't even try to tell me he was kicking it away from their return man. They got extremely good field position on that kick. I watch guys like the Patriots kicker hit the end zone with ease and am extremely jealous they have him. I guarantee you that kicker could hit a critical FG at Heinz Field as well as pin us back on kickoffs. There are two sides to a kicker's game. Reed handles the FG side fairly well (except at Chicago) most of the time. But his kickoffs make me cringe every time I watch him. Kind of like Berger punts last year.

As far as tackling, I think he could have taken a better angle on Percy Harvin. That one last week I just don't know what to think about. It was in the middle of the field and most KRs can juke a kicker every time in the middle of the field. But it did look like he just ran away from the contact. Regardless, I don't think Reed had a chance on that one and it wasn't his fault because that kick was not as bad as the other ones that we had run back on us. We should have pinned them back on that one. How did we go from the number one ST last year to this mess?

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #26
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399
My Mood: Stressed

I am glad this subject is gaining more traction. If you are useless on covering kicks...........time is of the essence to find a new kick off guy.............simple elegeant and accurate

I played a lot .....and indeed I would find a new guy to kick off
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #27
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich4eagle View Post
I am glad this subject is gaining more traction. If you are useless on covering kicks...........time is of the essene to find a new kick off guy.............simple elegeant and accurate
Obviously, Coach Tomlin doesn't agree with you or the others witch hunting Reed in this and the gazillion other threads on this topic.

So - because Reed isn't the best tackler as a PK (), we're supposed to throw him under the bus and out of Pittsburgh even though he is one of the most reliable PK's the Steelers have ever had?

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #28
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Obviously, Coach Tomlin doesn't agree with you or the others witch hunting Reed in this and the gazillion other threads on this topic.

So - because Reed isn't the best tackler as a PK (), we're supposed to throw him under the bus and out of Pittsburgh even though he is one of the most reliable PK's the Steelers have ever had?
Yes, because as i said, Steelers fans need a scapegoat. They also seem to think that reliable kickers grow on trees. Ask a Ravens fan how well things have gone without Matt Stover this season.

It's entirely possible that they will get what they want, and Reed will be let go in the offseason. But the first time I hear any of them bitch whenever the new kicker misses critical FGs, I'm just going to sit back and laugh and say...hey, you asked for it! But at least they'd get a few more kicks into the EZ to make up for it!
Old 11-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #29
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Yes, because as i said, Steelers fans need a scapegoat. They also seem to think that reliable kickers grow on trees. Ask a Ravens fan how well things have gone without Matt Stover this season.

It's entirely possible that they will get what they want, and Reed will be let go in the offseason. But the first time I hear any of them bitch whenever the new kicker misses critical FGs, I'm just going to sit back and laugh and say...hey, you asked for it! But at least they'd get a few more kicks into the EZ to make up for it!
I'm one that just questions his effort (along with all ST players) and also beleive you shouldnt leave reed out of the disscussion when talking about the poor play of the ST because he is a member of that unit, and in NO WAY am i saying he should get all of the blame because that is stupid, ALL 11 players as a unit should be blamed and i dont like any of their effort as of right now....... and just to make this clear I love reed as a PK and i want to get him back next year because his positives outweigh his (questionable by opinion) negatives BY FAR.
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #30
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

My take is that you have a guy riddled with off the field issues not doing whatever it takes on the field to make ammends for it. I'm appreciative that he isn't at least tanking his FGs, but it is apparent to anybody who isn't enthalled with Jeff Reed to see that he is playing not to get hurt. He's damn sure going to be paid and an injury isn't going to enter the negotiation table. If he got an extension tomorrow I would bet the house the next KO that got to him you'd see at least an attempt at a tackle.

That shit don't fly in Steeler Nation. He doesn't have to make the tackle but come on... the attempt against the Vikes I've seen more aggression in a women's powder puff game before. Despite what his intentions are... the perception is he's playing not to get hurt because of his contract situation.
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote