Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Suggs has torn MCL - media calling for Quinn's head

Ravens: Quinn should be fined

ESPN.com news

The Ravens are still fuming over Browns quarterback Brady Quinn's hit on Ravens linebacker/defensive end Terrell Suggs during the Ravens' 16-0 win on Monday night -- a hit that could cost Suggs significant playing time.

Quinn threw a chop block at Suggs after an interception in the third quarter, rolling into his right knee.

The Carroll County Times reported Wednesday that Suggs has a slight tear of his MCL. But his agent, Gary Wichard, fears Suggs could miss the rest of the season. Suggs was initially diagnosed with a sprained knee.

"You just don't do that," San Diego Chargers linebacker Shaun Phillips told ESPN's First Take on Wednesday, saying Quinn should be fined $50,000.

-------------------------

It took Troy 5 games to come back - Suggs is probably done.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13288
Default Re: Suggs has torn MCL - media calling for Quinn's head

Obviously Quinn didn't mean to injure Suggs, but this pretty much puts the nail in our season.

That statement is a bit dramatic, but we can't afford to lose our best pass rusher for the most difficult stretch of the season when everything else is going wrong anyway.
Ravnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravnet View Post
Obviously Quinn didn't mean to injure Suggs, but this pretty much puts the nail in our season.

That statement is a bit dramatic, but we can't afford to lose our best pass rusher for the most difficult stretch of the season when everything else is going wrong anyway.
I think you are correct, the ravens was already thin in the defense. With Suggs going out that is a huge blow to that defense.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned

Cleveland Browns QB Brady Quinn fined for low hit on Baltimore Ravens LB Terrell Suggs

By Mary Kay Cabot
November 18, 2009, 11:22AM

Tracy Boulian, The Plain DealerBrowns quarterback Brady Quinn said today that he was fined for his low hit on Baltimore linebacker Terrell Suggs. BEREA, Ohio -- Browns quarterback Brady Quinn said this morning that he had been fined by the NFL for low hit on Baltimore Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs during the Browns' 16-0 loss on Monday night at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

Quinn had been penalized on the play as he hit Suggs around the knees following an interception by Chris Carr. Suggs limped off after the play and didn't return. Several Baltimore players were critical of Quinn for what they called a "cheap shot."

Quinn reiterated today that he was not trying to hurt anyone and was trying to get underneath Suggs to make a play on Carr.

Quinn did not disclose the amount of the fine but said it was significant.

-------------------------

That $11 million in playing time incentives sure would come in handy about now, huh Brady?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
Ravnet
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
I think you are correct, the ravens was already thin in the defense. With Suggs going out that is a huge blow to that defense.
Well, they are fifth in the league in points scored against despite being "thin," which I do agree with, at least in part; the team just isn't doing well in general this year due to a number of reasons, such as not having a kicker and the offense racking up 99% of its production in the second half, not just the defense having a down year relative to their standards.

My point was that we were already teetering on the edge of mediocrity before Suggs was injured, so with any key player being forced to sit on the sidelines would have been devastating as the balance is upset.

Just as a side note, Suggs isn't half as good as non-Ravens fans think.
Ravnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Quote:
You just signed him to a six-year, $63 million contract!

Boy are you screwed.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

I don't completely understand this. Is there a double standard here? Didn't Favre do the same thing a few weeks back? Doesn't almost every QB act like a human speed bump out there? And what's the difference if it's the QB, or a LB on a RB. You see it all the time for defensive players. Knocking their feet out from under them is the only chance you have with some guys.

To be fair, I didn't see the "play", so there may be other circumstances.

EDIT: ok, just read in the other thread that Suggs was a blocker, NOT the ball carrier.
That explains a lot.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Quote:
Is that why they call him T-sizzle?

Cause he's burning up the cap.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i read a comment by someone that said qbs and kickers dont know how to tackle..lol...

so not only is quinn getting fined, but lebron wants to play WR for the browns??? what is next in cleveland?

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

For what it's worth, I have always thought that Suggs was a little overrated---but what do I know, it's just an opinion

What I don't "get"---having watched the game---is what Quinn was even doing. He had just thrown an interception (NOT entirely his fault, BTW; the ball hit the receiver in the hands and he flat-out coughed it up and it was intercepted by I forget who). The Ravens then became the "return team" with many of them turning to block---much as we see the Steelers do after an INT. Suggs was one of those blockers. At NO TIME did Quinn appear to be going after the interceptor or "trying to get under the block" of Suggs. He clearly went down at Suggs knees to knock him down. Now I HATE the recent pussification of football in all its Bradyhood. But this move was clearly rather cheap. I think it was Quinn's response to a frustrating game. But it wasn't necessary in any way. Knocking Suggs down does nothing to bring down the interceptor...
I don't particularly like Suggs and his thug "bounties". But he didn't deserve this, either

my 2 cents

MY OTHER 2 CENTS:

No way in hell does the Cavs organization let LeBron play fussball (like Mama says, "Fussball is the devil..."). He gets payed big bucks to sink hoops. The injury risk is too great---
Unless he reworks his whole contract and takes a hit on how many Benjamins he's gonna get. I just don't see that happening...)