Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Holmes disputes Big Ben: Steelers were in sync

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
Holmes disputes Big Ben: Steelers were in sync

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 33 minutes ago

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Ben Roethlisberger(notes) felt out of sync all day in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ offense. Santonio Holmes(notes) felt just fine.

Holmes disputed the quarterback’s notion that the Steelers had “something missing” during a 18-12 loss to Cincinnati that moved the Bengals (7-2) ahead of the Steelers (6-3) in the AFC North race.

Holmes took umbrage on Wednesday when a reporter asked why the Steelers couldn’t find their rhythm while producing the sixth fewest yards (226) they’ve had in a home game since moving into Heinz Field in 2001.
ADVERTISEMENT

To Holmes, the problem was that the Steelers didn’t finish the drives they had, settling four times for field goals, not that they couldn’t find their game.

“How could we not find a rhythm when we drove the ball all the way down the field?” Holmes said. “We just didn’t put up points on the board.”

Still, the Steelers didn’t exactly mount a lot of long drives. Eight of their 11 possessions didn’t move the ball more than 26 yards and their longest was for 49 yards, or the equivalent of advancing from a team’s own 20 to the opposing team’s 31.

The Steelers’ 226 yards—146 passing and 80 rushing—were only 19 fewer than their lowest offensive production at Heinz Field, 207 yards against Washington in 2004.

“There was just something missing all day, and I don’t know what it was,” Roethlisberger said. “Something was weird about the day. I don’t know if it was the (mid-60s) weather in November or what it was. Even the crowd at the beginning—everything was just kind of different. No excuse.”

Holmes suggested that if Roethlisberger felt that way, it explains why the Steelers lost.

“He’s the quarterback. He’s got control over everything, who touches the ball,” Holmes said. “He dictates where the ball goes, and if he felt that way, it’s probably why we didn’t win the ballgame.”

Of course, Holmes (7 catches, 88 yards) had a much better day than Roethlisberger (20 of 40, 174 yards, 1 interception) so the offense’s repeated stalling might not have seemed as evident to him.

To Holmes, it would have helped if the Steelers had run the ball more. Rashard Mendenhall(notes) was coming off a 155-yard game in Denver, but he was limited to 13 carries for 36 yards.

“The last game (in Denver) those big plays opened up for us,” because the Steelers ran the ball effectively, Holmes said.

Holmes, the Super Bowl MVP, also offered this suggestion: “Get the ball to the playmakers.”

Left tackle Max Starks(notes) also wanted to run more than 18 times, the fifth fewest carries the Steelers have had in any game since 2001. Of course, most offensive linemen wouldn’t mind running on every down.

“I’m going to say yes all the way. But that’s not the game plan that they saw from what they (the Bengals) were giving us,” Starks said. “You look at a team and see what the weaknesses are and try to attack those weaknesses.”

The Steelers, who have slipped to No. 17 in rushing, probably want to get back to running more often Sunday against the Chiefs (2-7), who are sixth from the bottom in rushing defense.

“I think there’s a shot of working more into that,” Starks said.

Not allowing the third kickoff return touchdown the Steelers have yielded in four games might have helped against Cincinnati, too. But kicker Jeff Reed(notes) isn’t about to take the blame for being one of the 11 would-be tacklers who missed Bernard Scott(notes) during his pivotal 96-yard return.

Reed was surprised to be singled out for not bringing down Scott, especially since he had to run from one side of the field to the other to try to make the play.

“That was about a 50-yard sprint for me, and my job is to make him cut back inside and he went inside of me,” Reed said. “I just look at those people (who were critical) like they don’t know what they’re talking about.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
TheWarDen86
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 1,343 Times in 617 Posts
Default Re: Holmes disputes Big Ben: Steelers were in sync

Quote:
“He’s the quarterback. He’s got control over everything, who touches the ball,” Holmes said. “He dictates where the ball goes, and if he felt that way, it’s probably why we didn’t win the ballgame.”
Dayum. Well, he's got a point.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
iloveben7
Team Captain

Member Number: 3165

I've always felt that Santonio likes to spread the blame on anyone but himself.

Holmes dropped a sure TD pass so he can't say it's all Ben.

Quote:
Holmes, the Super Bowl MVP, also offered this suggestion: “Get the ball to the playmakers.”
um just to let you know Santonio, #7 is a playmaker and you wouldn't have that MVP title to your name if it wasn't for Ben.

My dream is to meet my HERO, Ben Roethlisberger
iloveben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,153 Posts

i read somewhere that holmes was targeted 14 times....he caught 7... yea there was a problem...
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
TheWarDen86
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i read somewhere that holmes was targeted 14 times....he caught 7... yea there was a problem...
In his defense, how many were catchable? You saw that pass to Ward that was deflected (off the side of his helmet) and picked. Ben did not look good, but he also did not have time. I thought it was very strange considering how solid the line had been all year, and the fact the we'd lost to Cincy once already and the implications in the game.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,666 Times in 1,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
In his defense, how many were catchable? You saw that pass to Ward that was deflected (off the side of his helmet) and picked. Ben did not look good, but he also did not have time. I thought it was very strange considering how solid the line had been all year, and the fact the we'd lost to Cincy once already and the implications in the game.
i'm not blamming the lack of receptions on holmes... i'm referring to....
Quote:
Holmes disputed the quarterback’s notion that the Steelers had “something missing”
Quote:
“How could we not find a rhythm when we drove the ball all the way down the field?
how could you BE in rythme and not score TD's ?
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
7SteelGal43
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12283

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveben7 View Post
I've always felt that Santonio likes to spread the blame on anyone but himself.

Holmes dropped a sure TD pass so he can't say it's all Ben.

um just to let you know Santonio, #7 is a playmaker and you wouldn't have that MVP title to your name if it wasn't for Ben.
DITTO !!! and may I add STFU Santo.

sig by steelax04
7SteelGal43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
TheWarDen86
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i'm not blamming the lack of receptions on holmes... i'm referring to....

how could you BE in rythme and not score TD's ?
Not sure how to answer that, but I kind of agree with Holmes in that they were solid (on a few drives) right up to the red zone. But heck, it was the same way for the Bengals too. I dunno.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
iloveben7
Team Captain

Member Number: 3165

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
one was definately catchable in the endzone

and what about Santonio's other drops this season? I know a few were TD's and some were critical 3rd downs. I never heard him say anything about him messing up, but when Ben has a bad day, Santonio jumps right on his back

My dream is to meet my HERO, Ben Roethlisberger
iloveben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
GridironWarrior
Starter

Member Number: 9565

This is borderline to a TO move. I don't think Holmes should have done that thru the media.
GridironWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote