Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #21
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745
Default Re: Things Ben must work on to be considered "elite"...

My personal take would include many of the points you listed, and categorized them under something like, mental clock.

Going along with your point #4.
Quote:
4) hit the first open guy you see. there have been a ton of plays this year where all 3-4 receiving targets are open. brilliantly designed plays and most often they work. sometimes i think this leads to a bit of indecisiveness with ben looking for who is "most" open and where he can gain the biggest chunk of yardage. while it normally works, it can lead to a false sense of pocket security.
He seems to take longer in some games processing what he sees before he pulls, or doesn't pull the trigger. Yes, of course you have to credit defensive schemes that force this, but after a while you'd think there would be a point he can look at coverages and know where he's going before he releases the ball. That is something I think the "elite" QB's have. Quick recognition... Read and react... Whatever you want to call it.

But this again IS Ben's game. He's always looking for something more in a play. The problem is that time is of the essence in most cases.

Taking me to your point #1.
Quote:
1) deep ball accuracy. i always hear how manning, brady, rivers, or brees throw a beautiful deep ball. has anyone ever heard anyone ever say that about ben? anyone remember the last 40 yard bomb from ben hitting the wr in stride or where the wr wasnt wide open yet had to adjust?
To begin with, I think Ben has a very strong arm, but he still has a limit to his distance. Now, whether that is 50 or 60 yards... I don't know. The thing here is, if the receiver is running a go, post or anything that is taking him down field with any speed, Ben must made the decision quickly. By the time he releases the ball, the WR could be 20 yards down field. And with a guy like Wallace, a 20 yard headstart is tough to makeup with the throw at that point. He's got to to be more decisive, trust his WR's and let them run under the ball instead of stopping and waiting. All the work they did to get that separation is all for not when that happens.

He is one of the best when he is playing relaxed, and trusts his instincts. No doubt about it.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #22
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

What drives me crazy is that empty backfield play in the red zone. How many times has Ben been sacked on that formation? KEEP SOMEBODY in to BLOCK. Mendenhall is a pretty good blocker. Moore does a decent job. Why do they insist on running that formation? We should have scored at least two or three TDs in that game. 12 points from inside the redzone is pathetic.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #23
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,192 Times in 599 Posts

Steelers should look into the Denver Broncos offense in 1997-98. That offense was a run first, play off to the pass offense. Nice quick passing and long ball availability because of the amazing run game. Big Ben can still have his numbers and 25 throws if they did that. I say this simply for health reasons. If Big Ben continues to get 45 sacks a season, he will not play more then 10 or 11 years in a healthy way.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #24
iloveben7
Team Captain

Member Number: 3165

Can you all just be thankful for the type of QB that we have? Ben and any other QB will never be perfect. Everyone QB has their own weaknesses and strengths.

My dream is to meet my HERO, Ben Roethlisberger
iloveben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #25
steel striker
Banned

Member Number: 7251

Look Ben and the offense had a bad day last week against the bungals simple as that. Let it go and, get ready for KC this week. Ben was off and the line could not protect him and, we gave up on the running game. Still I believe in Ben and our offense will click for a strong super bowl run. Bungals kept Ben in the pocket so, he could not turn them into big plays like we are used to seeing. Every good or great qb has bad days and, our guys had a few this year hopefully that was the last loss for the season.
steel striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #26
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

we all know what a diva ben can be, so maybe he threw a temper tantrum and said he wasnt handing off the ball, he wanted to be more of throwing offense??? (dont get mad, i am kidding)

he must work on getting rid of the ball when everything is shut down. i understand about wanting to make big plays, but sometimes that cost you when you are sacked for a loss of a million yards(being sacrastic).

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #27
willie_district
Water Boy

Member Number: 13859

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

1) deep ball accuracy. i always hear how manning, brady, rivers, or brees throw a beautiful deep ball. has anyone ever heard anyone ever say that about ben? anyone remember the last 40 yard bomb from ben hitting the wr in stride or where the wr wasnt wide open yet had to adjust?

The last one I can remember Sweed dropped in the AFC championship game last year. It must have traumatized Ben.
willie_district is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #28
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
This is Tomlin's 3rd season....he needs to step it up as much as any player we have does. By Tomlin I mean him and his entire staff.

Our offense has so much talent it is ridiculous. I would argue we have more talent offensively then any team in the league...yet our offense struggles. Arians and our ST's coach need to be replaced.
What?!!? Are you new or something? The guy did just win a SB in only his SECOND year as a head coach!! And that is not enough for you? Talk about being a spoiled fan that needs a swift kick in the ass.. You need to come back to reality and realize that everyone on the team is human and they make mistakes and we can't win it all every year. Didn't you're father teach you that you can't have it all?

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #29
Ricco Suavez
Head Coach

Member Number: 7718

You know last year about this time there was talk about replacing Ben with Leftwich. I know we would like Ben to be better but I think he is pretty dang good right now, and yes I can accept the fact that our players and coaches have bad games. Guys as much as we would like it to be we are not going to win every game even against the Bengals or Browns. I do believe we are better than the Bengals and at the very least have split with them, but they had a better game plan than us last game and/or we had a very poor plan and/or our players did not perform as expected take your pick. As far as Peyton or Brady being what we would like Ben to be, imo, Ben is much better in clutch than Peyton. Has everyone forgotten how in Peytons career at Bens stage he was known as "could not win the big one" or how many times has Brady won the big one since :spygate". Granted both are talented QB's, Both will be talked up for HOF consideration, but I for one am happy with our "second tier" winner of a QB.
Ricco Suavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #30
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
What?!!? Are you new or something? The guy did just win a SB in only his SECOND year as a head coach!! And that is not enough for you? Talk about being a spoiled fan that needs a swift kick in the ass.. You need to come back to reality and realize that everyone on the team is human and they make mistakes and we can't win it all every year. Didn't you're father teach you that you can't have it all?
His post shocked me as well, i was at a loss of words so i reponded with a
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote