Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-20-2009, 03:53 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,217 Times in 1,366 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Roethlisberger hopes to redeem himself

It is bounce-back time for Big Ben, his coach says, and that often means trouble for an opposing defense.

"In the past, you didn't want to play him; he's been outstanding at bouncing back," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "He takes it personal, like all of us. He can't wait to come back and play the next one."

Ben Roethlisberger's chance at redemption comes Sunday in Kansas City, one of two venues in the AFC in which the Steelers quarterback has never played.

He reiterated again yesterday that he had a "bad day" Sunday in an 18-12 loss to Cincinnati at Heinz Field. Roethlisberger was 20 of 40 for 174 yards and one interception. His 51.5 passer rating was his lowest in a full game since a 38.5 rating Oct. 26, 2008, in a 21-14 loss to the New York Giants.

And while Arians might remember some great bounce-back efforts by Roethlisberger, others have not gone as well. That loss to the Giants was followed by a poor first half in Washington (15.1) before he left with an injury and backup Byron Leftwich helped win the game. And that was followed by a loss to Indianapolis and a 59.0 passer rating.

Roethlisberger, in those three consecutive games, produced eight interceptions, one touchdown pass and two losses.

"Flat out, I had a bad day, and it's going to happen sometimes," Roethlisberger said of his game against Cincinnati. "No excuse, but those days will happen some times. You have to learn to correct it, you know? I think we will."

Roethlisberger said he just did not feel right last Sunday, including his right arm, although he denied it was sore or stiff. Arians said he tried to use a no-huddle to shake his quarterback out of it, to no avail.

"We got manageable third downs but couldn't hit them," Arians said. "In the past, we've been able to jump into the no-huddle, get a little rhythm going and get out of it, but we weren't able to get out of it."

Arians also said the lack of pass protection did not help the quarterback, either.
NFL fines Harrison

Steelers linebacker James Harrison said the NFL fined him $5,000 for punching Cincinnati offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth Sunday.

Harrison responded to a push from Whitworth by punching him on the helmet. He was penalized on the first-down play -- a 2-yard run by Brian Leonard -- 15 yards, which gave Cincinnati a first down at the Bengals' 49.

They completed that series with a 43-yard field goal for an 18-12 lead that stood up as the final score.
Polamalu defers to Tomlin

It was shown again that when Troy Polamalu talks, people will listen, even when he does not say anything. Polamalu spoke publicly for the first time since his latest knee injury Sunday against Cincinnati.

He deferred all questions about his knee or injury -- "Who says there's even a real knee injury, first of all?" -- to coach Mike Tomlin, even when it might have occurred. As he did during his four-game absence to his first knee injury, Polamalu said there are things Tyrone Carter does better than him, such as tackling.

"There are a lot of strengths that Tyrone has that I lack and vice versa," Polamalu said. "That's why every time I'm in the game, I come to the sidelines, he's in my ear about the previous drive and each play, and where I can improve and what to look out for."

He acknowledged a level of frustration over his absence because "I want to play football."

Polamalu also warned that it would be wrong for anyone to take the 2-7 Chiefs lightly.

"You can't take for granted the NFL and the challenge each team brings. I know there's been times, even my rookie year when we weren't very good, a couple years here, we felt we could still challenge anybody, and I'm sure they feel the same way."

Polamalu did not practice again yesterday and will not play Sunday in Kansas City. Defensive end Travis Kirschke also is not likely to play for the third consecutive game because of a torn calf muscle. Kirschke practiced a little Wednesday and not at all yesterday. Fullback Carey Davis, however, returned to practice full time for the first time since his hamstring was injured in Denver.
Sweed makes progress

Wide receiver Limas Sweed, who has dressed for the past two games, has climbed back into favor of sorts with the coaching staff after three good weeks of practice.

"He's done it in practice. He's earned the right to get back out on the field," Arians said. "I have confidence in him, but we're not going to take Heath [Miller] out to put a fourth wideout in right now, especially with the zone blitz packages we're seeing. He just has to bide his time.

"He's got a bright future. He's had three great weeks of practice. I would have no qualms putting him in the ballgame."

Sweed has been inactive in four of the Steelers' nine games.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09324/1014933-66.stm
Old 11-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #2
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Re: Roethliberger hopes to redeem himself

Quote:
Arians said he tried to use a no-huddle to shake his quarterback out of it, to no avail.
i don't remember seeing the no-huddle. it must have been brief.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
steelballs
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13011

I have no doubt that Ben (Steelers) will redeem themselves this weekend against the Chiefs. Ben typically has one or two lousy starts during the regular season and the Bengal game was definitely one of those.

This Sunday, I look for the Steelers to run first and pass second as the Chiefs run "D" is ranked 27th or something to that effect. Ben is usually deadly in his passing game when running effectively and I expect the Steelers to have many opportunities to exploit the weak Chief defense.

The Chief offense is weak to say the least and I don't see them having much success at all against the Steeler defense thus plenty of offensive possessions. Look for the Steelers to roll in this one

Steelers 27
Chiefs 10
steelballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
The only time I saw the no huddle was before halftime and at the end of the game.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Steelboy84
Banned

Member Number: 13983

Well, this is certainly the weekend to do it.
Steelboy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Ben will bounce back - he always does. I'm betting he's going to play lights out tomorrow at Arrowhead.

Quote:
Arians said he tried to use a no-huddle to shake his quarterback out of it, to no avail.
Holy Mother of God - say it aint so!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
solardave
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13734

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
Me too, I missed that one.
solardave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Re: Roethlisberger hopes to redeem himself

im sure he will bounce back !

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote