Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-20-2009, 06:44 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Rip Arians? It still boils down to execution

Rip Arians? It still boils down to execution
Friday, November 20, 2009
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Bruce Arians, doesn't mind taking the heat

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09324/1014930-87.stm

Some days, you walk into Giant Eagle and want to shout to the world: "I'm here!" Other days ...

"You wear a hat and sunglasses at night so no one recognizes you," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said, fairly giggling.

It was a hat-and-sunglasses week for Arians.

That's hardly surprising. The Steelers were beaten by the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday on a day when the Steelers' offense repeatedly got lost on its way to the end zone. Of course, it was Arians' fault, if you listen to the masses. Isn't it always?

A few people blamed Ben Roethlisberger, but it's pretty hard to hold a grudge against one of the NFL's great quarterbacks and a two-time Super Bowl winner, to boot. A few more blamed kicker Jeff Reed, which is ridiculous. His lame effort to tackle the Bengals' Bernard Scott on Scott's 96-yard kickoff return for a touchdown was pathetic, but he hardly was the reason the Steelers lost.

That left Arians as the easy target. The animosity toward him always amazes me. I love the myopic fools who insist the Steelers never will win with him calling the plays. What's frightening is they truly seem to believe it. It's as if Super Bowl XLIII never happened.

I know the argument to that. Please, hold the e-mails. The Steelers won despite Arians. They went 88 yards in the final 2 1/2 minutes to beat the Arizona Cardinals because Roethlisberger and the offense made great plays. That's how the Steelers always win, right? Yet, when the offense struggles in a loss, it's because of Arians' lousy play-calling. I must be really obtuse because I'll never figure that one out.

"I'd rather have it that way," Arians said. "I'd rather have it on me than on our guys. I know Ben feels the same way. He's got big shoulders, too."

Roethlisberger said again yesterday that he deserves much of the blame for the loss Sunday. I agree. Usually, he plays lights out, and his performance always has a lot more to do with the wins than Arians' play-calling. But Roethlisberger had an off day Sunday. It wasn't bad plays. It was bad execution. Big Ben and his offense were especially poor on third down and in the red zone. They were 3 for 15 on third downs, 0 for 7 in the second half. They had to settle for field goals on four drives despite having first downs on the Bengals' 15, 5, 8 and 11.

"That was the frustrating part," Arians said. "The red-zone offense was a major point of emphasis all week. That's where we lost the first game in Cincinnati."

Arians talked about at least three Roethlisberger passes that skipped off fingertips. "Probably the biggest one was to Santonio [Holmes]," Arians said.

Late in the first half, Arians called the same play that won the Super Bowl. "Their guy got just enough of the ball to knock it out of whack," he said.

Arians admitted the Steelers' pass-run ratio -- 41 pass plays (counting one Roethlisberger scramble) to 17 runs -- wasn't quite what he wanted. He blamed the third-down failures. "We didn't snap it enough. We should have easily been able to convert 50 percent of those third downs. Now, you're talking about maybe another 18 or 20 snaps. Instead of running the ball 18 times for a 4.4 [-yard] average, maybe you run it 28 times for 4.4."

The Steelers tried their no-huddle offense three different times to get Roethlisberger into a rhythm. "It didn't work this time," Arians said. "It's not always the cure-all that everyone thinks."

Roethlisberger calls the plays in the no-huddle, but Arians called the final four after the Steelers, trailing by 18-12, took over at their 33 with one timeout and 1:50 to play. Arians was widely criticized for having Roethlisberger throw deep on each down. Arians said there were plays there.

Wide receiver Hines Ward was open over the middle near the 50 on first down, but Bengals linebacker Brandon Johnson fought through running back Mewelde Moore's block and pulled on Roethlisberger's jersey as he threw, forcing an incompletion.

Wide receiver Mike Wallace got behind the secondary on second down but was so far down the field that Roethlisberger couldn't heave the ball to him.

The Bengals brought heavy pressure and made great plays to force incompletions on third and fourth down.

"Very seldom," Arians said when asked if he second-guesses his play calls.

"You always evaluate what you do. 'Was the game plan bad?' But if you put in the time and the preparation and you like the matchups, you don't look back. If you start thinking you should have called another play every time a play doesn't work, you might as well put a gun to your head."

The good news for Roethlisberger and the offense is there's another game -- Sunday at Kansas City. "Ben bounces back," Arians said. "He takes it personally, like we all do. He can't wait to play the next one."

Arians is the same way.

"Man, I love calling the plays," he said.

I'm thinking Roethlisberger is going to make Arians look pretty smart Sunday. Not that Arians' critics will give him any credit. Not that he cares.

A win is enough for the man.

That and being able to go to his Giant Eagle without his hat and sunglasses.

Ron Cook can be reached at rcook@post-gazette.com. More articles by this aut

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09324...#ixzz0XP3AbHFN
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Re: Rip Arians? It still boils down to execution

So can we add Ron Cook to the Arians bandwagon
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
California-Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11917

Look execution is a way of saying you can do something if you are better than the guy in front of you at what it is you are doing. But if you are not then you need to change up and find what it is that you are better at to execute that. So you need to plan and when that plan does not work you need to adjust.

To simply say we need to execute better is fine, but when you can't your bag better have an adjustment plan in it. And guess what? BA's bag does not.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

Ben was off the entire day. I went back and watched the game over and bottom line his passing last Sunday was just not there. KC is going to hate it come Sunday.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Cook is a hack! He knows nothing! Fire Cook!

How dare this third rate, no-nothing talent question the infinitely more football-wise fans? Ben threw bad balls because Arians TOLD him to! Ben could have audibled to run more but Arians TOLD HIM NOT TO!

Arians dropped that TD pass in the endzone!
Arians gave up the KR for a TD!
Arians had breakdowns all along the line all day!
Arians held the ball too long!
Arians gave the Bengals defense our plays!
Arians Arians Arians!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by California-Steel View Post
Look execution is a way of saying you can do something if you are better than the guy in front of you at what it is you are doing. But if you are not then you need to change up and find what it is that you are better at to execute that. So you need to plan and when that plan does not work you need to adjust.

To simply say we need to execute better is fine, but when you can't your bag better have an adjustment plan in it. And guess what? BA's bag does not.

Let's see. Running the ball. Our starter had under 3 yards a carry. Pass the ball, our QB had a horrible completion percentage.

Keep the TE in and give the QB more time. Didn't work. Go to no-huddle, no rhythm there. Go deep to work the seems, no shot there.

Seems to me, you can only do so many adjustments... before bad execution takes its toll. I guess its BA's fault for not having infinite options too. Maybe even his fault for not wiping Ben's nose and patting Mendy on the head right?

This BA scapegoating is hilarious.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Cook is a hack! He knows nothing! Fire Cook!

How dare this third rate, no-nothing talent question the infinitely more football-wise fans? Ben threw bad balls because Arians TOLD him to! Ben could have audibled to run more but Arians TOLD HIM NOT TO!

Arians dropped that TD pass in the endzone!
Arians gave up the KR for a TD!
Arians had breakdowns all along the line all day!
Arians held the ball too long!
Arians gave the Bengals defense our plays!
Arians Arians Arians!!!!!!!!!!
you forgot about arians bouncing the ball off wards head that resulted in a pick
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
you forgot about arians bouncing the ball off wards head that resulted in a pick
Bruce Arians psychically WILLED that ball into the Bengals DB's hands...he's evil like that!
Old 11-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
California-Steel
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Let's see. Running the ball. Our starter had under 3 yards a carry. Pass the ball, our QB had a horrible completion percentage.

Keep the TE in and give the QB more time. Didn't work. Go to no-huddle, no rhythm there. Go deep to work the seems, no shot there.

Seems to me, you can only do so many adjustments... before bad execution takes its toll. I guess its BA's fault for not having infinite options too. Maybe even his fault for not wiping Ben's nose and patting Mendy on the head right?

This BA scapegoating is hilarious.
You are correct, but you still need to find other ways to win if what you are doing does not work for that day. If the team is in a funk and recievers are dropping balls then mix it up. Move receivers around, maybe put you 1 in the slot or your slot as a 2. Maybe use the TE more or as a WO. Not every play but a couple of times to try and shake off the funk. I am just saying.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Bu, bu, but Arians.

Face it - the Steelers O pooped the bed on Sunday and just weren't in sync. Though it came at a very inopportune time, it happens. Get over it - move on to KC.

Lemme see here. Tomlin supports BA, Ben supports BA, all of the players support BA. Guess they're all just delusional. As for Cook's assessment on BA - hallelujah!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote