Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ward ready to exploit Kansas City

Ward ready to exploit Kansas City

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...-Lolley-column
This article has been read 180 times.

PITTSBURGH - Looking at Sunday's game between the Steelers and Chiefs, one thing stands out more than any - the advantage Pittsburgh holds with their receivers against Kansas City's secondary.

Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr, Kansas City's starting cornerbacks, have four combined years of experience. The third corner, Maurice Leggett, is in his second year.

Combined, they don't have the experience of Steelers receiver Hines Ward.

Some might think a 33-year-old receiver running around against a bunch of 23-year-olds might not be an advantage, but Ward is having one of his best seasons and the crafty veteran should be able to teach the youngsters a thing or two.

"Last year, I went over 1,000 yards and we won the Super Bowl," said Ward, who leads the Steelers with 53 receptions for 670 yards and four touchdowns.

"Coming back this year, people expected me just to fall off. Last year, I had a pretty good year because I was healthy. Coming back this year, I saw one comment that said, 'Will somebody tell Hines Ward he's 33.'"

For Ward, 33 is just a number.

That maturity level that Ward provides is something he didn't have earlier in his career, when he publicly complained when the Steelers selected Troy Edwards and Plaxico Burress in the first round of back-to-back drafts in 1999 and 2000.

Pittsburgh's current crop of receivers - Santonio Holmes, rookie Mike Wallace and second-year man Limas Sweed - are all high draft picks. Ward has accepted them and taken on the role of teacher.

"I think he's grown up and he realizes that it's about what he does. He can't control a lot of factors," said Steelers wide receivers coach Randy Fichtner. "He's realized that if he doesn't take care of himself, his physical and mental approach to the game, then, yeah, he'd better worry about the other guys. But if he does what he's supposed to do and what he's done throughout his career, I think he can go with a clear mind and say, 'Hey, if you're better than me, then we're a better team.'

"The group is a young group, so it's always good when the leader works like him, plays like him. They try to be like him too."

n Steelers linebacker James Harrison was fined $5,000 by the NFL for his personal foul against Cincinnati lineman Andre Whitworth.

Harrison slugged Whitworth in the head at the completion of a play late in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 18-12 loss to the Bengals, drawing a critical 15-yard penalty.

n It comes as no surprise that Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu will not play Sunday against the Chiefs.

Polamalu suffered a sprained posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during the first quarter against the Bengals.

Defensive end Travis Kirschke will sit out his third game with a calf injury. The Steelers hoped to get Kirschke back this week.

Kirschke practiced on a limited basis Wednesday, but suffered a setback.

n Waynesburg native Josh Koscheck faces one of the biggest fights of his mixed martial arts career tonight at UFC 106 in Las Vegas against talented welterweight Anthony Johnson as part of the co-main event.

A light heavyweight fight between Tito Ortiz and Forrest Griffith is the other co-main event.

Koscheck, ranked fifth in the world at 170 pounds by Sherdog.com with a 14-4 record, needs a victory to continue his climb among the UFC contenders for the welterweight title, currently held by Georges St. Pierre.

At 8-2, Johnson is considered a rising star in the business. If Koscheck can defeat him it will go a long way toward solidifying his status as one of the UFC's top draws.

SPIKE will show the undercard of the event live tonight, with the top fights, including Koscheck's match, being shown on pay-per-view.

F. Dale Lolley can be reached at dlolley@observer-reporter.com
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292
Default Re: Ward ready to exploit Kansas City

I would be surprised if Ward doesn't have at least 1 TD tomorrow. And of course he won't have any problems finding a fan wearing #86 to share the football with.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,303 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think Ward could see a 100 yard game today. They will be keyed in on Holmes and trying to keep Wallace from going deep. Lets not forget about Miller he could have a good game as well.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

I also feel Heath should have a big game today too.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
tmacsteelerfan
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13572

I think Ward and Roethlisberger and the rest of the team will have a big game, we have a message to send to the league that we're better than those three loses show.
tmacsteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote