Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 11-24-2009, 03:55 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,404 Times in 1,439 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Roethlisberger likely to play against Ravens

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is expected to play Sunday night against the Baltimore Ravens, even though he got knocked out of the Steelers' 27-24 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

A source close to the situation said Roethlisberger did well in a series of neurological tests Monday. Roethlisberger has sustained two football-related concussions since October 2006. He also suffered serious head and facial injuries in a motorcycle crash in June 2006.

Coach Mike Tomlin said after the game that Roethlisberger had a "concussion-oriented" injury caused when Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson banged his knee off the sixth-year veteran's helmet.

The source said Roethlisberger did well when he took the Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Test (IMPACT), which is used to determine the severity of head injuries in the NFL.

Scores from IMPACT are measured against baseline tallies established before the season. Players with head injuries usually pass the IMPACT exams several times before they are cleared to play again.

The Steelers did not immediately comment on Roethlisberger's status. Tomlin is expected to address it today at his weekly news conference.

Roethlisberger's status took on added significance because backup quarterback Charlie Batch injured his left wrist while subbing for the injured Roethlisberger in overtime. Batch, who could be lost for the rest of the season, was fitted for a cast in Kansas City. He is expected to miss up to six weeks.

Batch was injured when he landed awkwardly on his wrist after throwing a pass.

With Batch sidelined, second-year man Dennis Dixon is the Steelers' only healthy backup quarterback.

The injury to Batch, who missed all of last season with a broken collarbone, fueled speculation that the Steelers would bring in another quarterback to take his spot on the 53-man roster.

As of last night, the Steelers had not made serious inquiries about Jeff Garcia or Cleo Lemon, two veteran quarterbacks who are free agents. They had also yet to contact Tyler Palko, a former West Allegheny High and Pitt star who has been working out in Pittsburgh and is hoping to get another shot in the NFL.

Dixon, a fifth-round draft pick out of Oregon in 2008, had been a Heisman Trophy front-runner in 2007 until a knee injury ended his season. The Steelers coveted him because of his potential as a pocket passer as well as his running ability.

Dixon has thrown just one NFL pass, and he completed it for 3 yards.

That came last Dec. 28 when he relieved Batch in the Steelers' 31-0 win over the Browns. Batch had taken over for Roethlisberger after the latter got knocked out of the game with a concussion.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...53.html?feed=9
Old 11-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311
Default Re: Roethlisberger likely to play against Ravens

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
FacemeIke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11185

Thats good if he can play. But I want him to be healthy if he is going to play. I hope he's not pushing it and coming back too fast. Concusions are nothing to mess with.

This is like the 4th in his career. Makes me wonder how many more years he has left? 5 maybe? He could be like Aikman and leave the game early because of concussions.
FacemeIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Christian Snyder
Team Captain

Member Number: 14544

YES!!!! Let's go kick some Ratbird rear!!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,134 Posts

Its good news. I just hope Ramon Foster can not get burned and Ben doesnt get severly injured.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:26 AM   #6
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

I just hope he brings his A-game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

I would hope we err on the side of caution here, and sit Ben. I beleive that Dixon will do just fine, this is his third year, he knows the O, and we should all remember his senior year at Oregon, Had he not been injured he migh well have won the Hiesman and been a certain 1st or 2nd round pick. He has a great arm, can improvise, and he has speed to get outside if he has to run. Just my opinion.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
iloveben7
Team Captain

Member Number: 3165

I don't want Ben to play on Sunday. Concussions are not a thing to mess with, especially with Ben only having exactly a week to recover. The Ravens will be looking to take his head off.

My dream is to meet my HERO, Ben Roethlisberger
iloveben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Just hand the ball off.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
brick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
I would hope we err on the side of caution here, and sit Ben. I beleive that Dixon will do just fine, this is his third year, he knows the O, and we should all remember his senior year at Oregon, Had he not been injured he migh well have won the Hiesman and been a certain 1st or 2nd round pick. He has a great arm, can improvise, and he has speed to get outside if he has to run. Just my opinion.
+1, even though i'm not too optimistic of a win without ben in there, i'd still rather bench him if he's not 100% rather than risk his career. like people have been saying, concussions aren't something you want to play around with.