Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-24-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
steelers7807
Water Boy

Member Number: 5217
Default Wearing Down

It looks to me that the team is just wearing down from playing a "hard" schedule last year and going to the superbowl. Too many injuries and not enough energy or push like last year. Even Baltimore looks to be in the same shape. I don't think this year will turn out like the last post superbowl season. We should, with the talent at least, make it to the playoffs but not the superbowl. Hopfully they can rest up in the off season and come out refreshed in 2010. I am not saying the season is over but that is why repeating as superbowl champions is hard to do in this day and age.
steelers7807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311
Default Re: Wearing Down

I don't think it is wearing down. I think it is the big "inconsistant" word. Throughout the whole team's play.
They have not played one good solid 60 minute football this season yet. Not one. Time is running out!
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
Christian Snyder
Team Captain

Member Number: 14544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
I don't think it is wearing down. I think it is the big "inconsistant" word. Throughout the whole team's play.
They have not played one good solid 60 minute football this season yet. Not one. Time is running out!
You're right, the defense has yet to play a full 60 minutes and unless they start playing a full 60 minutes....... we're not going to the playoffs.

GO STEELERS!!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
FacemeIke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 11185

I'd agree with the wearing down theory. We played a full month longer then most teams last year, and its been a consistant thing the past 7 or 8 years to see super bowl teams completely miss the playoffs the following season.
FacemeIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Snyder View Post
You're right, the defense has yet to play a full 60 minutes and unless they start playing a full 60 minutes....... we're not going to the playoffs.

GO STEELERS!!!!
We have yet to play a full 60 minutes especially on D. We seem to dominate the 2 1/2 to 3 quarters of the game the fall, that is consistant with wearing down, remember we are an older defense and the injuries, especially to Aaron Smith and Troy being factors.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Ask the 2007 Colts or the 2008 Giants if they "wore down" in the middle of the season. Both played more games in their Championship seasons than the 2008 Steelers. No bye week to help. And they weren't blowing against shitty teams like the Bears and Chiefs due to their own mistakes.

This still won their respective divisions and made the playoffs anyway. Even if they failed to repeat, at least they tried. It's unrealistic to expect the Steelers to repeat and win SB's every year, but at least try.

I don't buy the "SB Hangover" excuse anymore. This team has lost their focus and is playing sub-standard sloppy fundamental football. It's mental, not physical.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
Christian Snyder
Team Captain

Member Number: 14544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick5895 View Post
We have yet to play a full 60 minutes especially on D. We seem to dominate the 2 1/2 to 3 quarters of the game the fall, that is consistant with wearing down, remember we are an older defense and the injuries, especially to Aaron Smith and Troy being factors.
You're right. Wearing down is the word.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

the only reason they would be wearing down is due to age, not because of what happened last season. i don't think the Steelers teams of the 70s wore down winning the Super Bowl back-to-back twice.. sure, they played a couple less games.. but players back then were not in the kind of condition athletes of today are. if there was ever a game we would have worn down, it would have been the Denver game due to the altitude. instead we dominated the second half.. this team is playing inconsistent. that's why they are sucking it up out there.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
tube517
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1868

Yep, Farrior even said they made mental mistakes against the Chiefs.

Also, the passing game has been shaky since Minnesota bottled them up. Except the second half against Denver, they haven't looked in sync. Even Hines said since the Vikes game, teams have been playing to prevent the deep ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Ask the 2007 Colts or the 2008 Giants if they "wore down" in the middle of the season. Both played more games in their Championship seasons than the 2008 Steelers. No bye week to help. And they weren't blowing against shitty teams like the Bears and Chiefs due to their own mistakes.

This still won their respective divisions and made the playoffs anyway. Even if they failed to repeat, at least they tried. It's unrealistic to expect the Steelers to repeat and win SB's every year, but at least try.

I don't buy the "SB Hangover" excuse anymore. This team has lost their focus and is playing sub-standard sloppy fundamental football. It's mental, not physical.
tube517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
Yep, Farrior even said they made mental mistakes against the Chiefs.

Also, the passing game has been shaky since Minnesota bottled them up. Except the second half against Denver, they haven't looked in sync. Even Hines said since the Vikes game, teams have been playing to prevent the deep ball.
Then stop going deep and take what the Defense gives you.

Arians has failed to adjust his scheme and the offense is suffering as a result. Ben isn't helping out either with his impatience. It has happened against the Bengals and again against the Chiefs.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote