Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
SteelerFanInATL
Team Captain

Member Number: 369
Default If Dennis Dixon....

.... had to start on Sunday, how do you think he would do? Keep in mind that when Big Ben got his chance it was his rookie year and Tommy Gun was the starter until he went down with an injury. This Dixons 2nd year in the system, can use his legs to run and has a great arm. I think he would do well. Lets get some feedback, WHATS YOUR OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: If Dennis Dixon....

Big Ben and Dixon are worlds apart at the same stage. Not saying Dixon can't be successful. His first start Just does not need to happen all at once in the middle of a playoff race and against the Ravens.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,483 Posts

If he played that Slash role in the Wildcat like everybody knows he is great at, then I think we have a chance. Otherwise if he had to play conventional QB....I think the Ravens would win.

I dont understand why he never got a chance to return kicks or play WR, but instead Logan and McDonald were signed to do that?? An incredible athletic talent like Dixon is a waste holding a clipboard.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Shoes
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 6382

I really like Dixon, sure he doesn't have a lot of play time but he does have a strong arm and can run. Some have said "he doesn't fit our system"....well what is our system?
There is no way you can compare him to Ben, in fact you can't compare Ben to any QB in the NFL IMO. Obviously the coaching staff agrees with me
Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
SteelerFanInATL
Team Captain

Member Number: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Big Ben and Dixon are worlds apart at the same stage. Not saying Dixon can't be successful. His first start Just does not need to happen all at once in the middle of a playoff race and against the Ravens.
I agree, but we can't control the timing of everything. The Ravens would be a tough opponet for him. We know now what we have in Ben, but when he got his first start did we know how good he could be? If it had to be I would be excited to see Dixon get a chance to play. Most def I want BB back, but it would be interesting to see DD would execute. Just my $.02
Old 11-24-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
If he played that Slash role in the Wildcat like everybody knows he is great at, then I think we have a chance. Otherwise if he had to play conventional QB....I think the Ravens would win.

I dont understand why he never got a chance to return kicks or play WR, but instead Logan and McDonald were signed to do that?? An incredible athletic talent like Dixon is a waste holding a clipboard.
Oh, what it must be like to be so much more intelligent than the rest of us...Gosh, you're really super and swell.

On the serious tip, the dude has been in the league for a year and half now...if Ben goes down, he's got to be ready to play. He may make some mistakes, but so does Ben. I'm sure he'll do fine if he's called to do so...
Old 11-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

He'd do OK. I don't think he's any worse than Batch. And like Ben in his first year, he certainly has the supporting cast to succeed.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Even though he's (cough cough) only a 100% pocket passing dedicated QB, that dude is actually lightning fast (4.49 40) and a great running QB...I know I don't know as much as some people about football and it was stupid to suggest that he actually contribute on the field, but, my ignorance of football aside, he DID rush 258 times at Oregon for 1208 yards (4.7 average).

If he got in trouble, and scrambled out of it or turned downfield coverage into some positive yards with his legs, it'd give the defense something else to be concerned with....
Old 11-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

If I had to make my choice between Dixon and some free agent veteran signed off the street, I'd rather go with Dixon. He's had two years to learn the playbook and routes, whereas a free agent would have just a couple days to get that down. granted the FA QB would have experience at NFL game speed, but I'd still rather go with Dixon; don't forget, he was a pretty good college QB. A year ago you saw a QB that has spent time in the QB meetings and learning the playbook can do okay even without experience when Cassel stepped in and won 11 games.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

nobody outside of the coaching staff really knows what he would do.. he's only had one career pass in the NFL.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote